Feel like I must be doing something wrong

I am on day 10. Prior to beginning I would say I was very unhealthy. I have no actual health conditions but gained a lot of weight during pregnancy (like 85 pounds) and 6 months later failed to lose it putting me at a BMI that is within the clinically obese range. Before starting my diet was pretty abysmal it consisted of numerous Diet Cokes each day and lots of bread, pasta and dairy. I have been following the program closely at least I feel I am and not only have I not lost any weight or anything like that but I have not felt any of the adverse side effects I was anticipating that I was supposed to...No change in energy level, no headaches, etc. I am hungry quite often but other than that nada...Wondering what I could be doing wrong or should change. Yesterday was a pretty average day for me on the program and went as follows: 

4:45 a.m. Black coffee 

5:30 a.m. 1 hour jog/run on treadmill, 30 minutes strength training w/trainer

7:15 am 10 raw almonds in car, about 16 oz water

8:00 am 3 egg whites, 1oz yellow onion, 1/2 a zuchinni, 1 small yellow squash, more black coffee

11:00 am Honeycrisp Apple (large) 

1:00 p.m. Full can of tuna, spinach, 5 black olives, 10 cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion...

3:00 p.m. desperately hungry so ate Apple Larabar, 2 clementines 

6:00 pm Spaghetti Squash with Bolognese sauce (homemade with crushed tomato, ground buffalo, garlic, etc.) & Steamed Broccoli 

8:00 pm frozen banana 

I don't feel like I am eating a ton. I am drinking plenty of water. I am feeling hungry but otherwise fine. I am not feeling any sort of change. What could I be doing wrong? Shouldn't I at least been feeling bad?

If you're following the program and not feeling bad, more power to you! Revel in it, this isn't meant to be punishment!

A lot of the effects they warn you about are worst case scenario, so that people who do feel that way don't feel alone or like they need to give up. Not feeling those things doesn't mean you're failing on the program!

I too haven't had any bad effects, I woke up feeling a bit yuck this morning, but I was fine after a coffee. My diet wasn't that bad before starting but bad enough I should have had some ups and downs, but its pretty much been up.

Sounds like you're just resilient! 

• Moderators

You're not eating a ton... you're in fact not eating nearly enough.  You get up at 430 in the morning and the first real food you eat is not until 8am and then it's only the egg whites and not the whole egg?  Why not the whole egg?  There is no fat in your breakfast and a shotglass full of onion doesn't really count toward 'filling your plate' with veggies so you probably want a bit more veggies than that.

Lunch seems a bit slight also (also based on the fact that you were desperately hungry 2 hours later).  When you eat olives as your fat, it's 1-2 heaping handfuls... five is woefully short of that.

Your dinner has no fat and unless you ate an entire head and a half of broc, you were probably short there too... have you seen the meal template?  The fact that you're snacking 3 times tells me that you're not eating enough.

Are you also breastfeeding?  If so we recommend 4 template meals at minimum or 3 template meals and one split into two mini meals between your main meals.  When you need to eat between meals we recommend protein and fat and not fruit, nuts, fruit and nut bars or nut butters which do not have a ton of satiating power and also have a tendency to aggravate a sugar dragon.

What is 'plenty' of water?  1/2 oz per pound of body weight is our recommendation along with salting your food to taste.

Finally, it's a 30 day program, not 10 and especially if you come from a place of fairly unhealthy eating practices which you say you do, you're not going to see weightloss and dramatic changes in 10 days.  Stay the course, honor your body by eating a suitable amount of food and keep going :)

Archived