Eating out

akelley7c3

What would be the recommendations for how many times you eat out? Would eating out every day for lunch still be ok? I feel as if you wouldnt get the same results bc food outside the home (even if it is compliant) isn’t as good quality, even though vegetable oil is ok it’s still not a good source of fat! I could be way off track but I am curious! 

Re-reading the whole30 book and it doesn’t say...or I haven’t gotten to it! 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, akelley7c3 said:

What would be the recommendations for how many times you eat out? Would eating out every day for lunch still be ok? I feel as if you wouldnt get the same results bc food outside the home (even if it is compliant) isn’t as good quality, even though vegetable oil is ok it’s still not a good source of fat! I could be way off track but I am curious! 

Re-reading the whole30 book and it doesn’t say...or I haven’t gotten to it! 

We don't dictate how many times you can eat out - if you have to eat out every day or every meal of every day then that's what you have to do.  As you've said, home made food is going to be better quality and you can control it better but it's your decision.

We've done no research or surveys on people who have eaten out x # of times as opposed to people who haven't so there would be no data to say one way or the other if you get the same results.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, sdeadrick said:

It's not possible to eat out, regularly, on Whole30. 

It is completely possible to eat out, regularly, on Whole30, depending on your financial means, time available and locale. Some people can do it very easily and some cannot. It is not true to make a wholesale declaration that it isn't possible.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, sdeadrick said:

It's not possible to eat out, regularly, on Whole30. 

If you can afford it, it most certainly is possible -- it's just a matter of finding options and making good use of them. For me, I live in a place which has several restaurants that either cater specifically to Whole30 by having a menu that shows what you can get (like Zoe's) or is set up in a way that you build your own plate and can purposefully avoid anything that isn't compliant. I've also never had any problem going to a "regular" restaurant and finding options, it's just a matter of speaking with the wait staff and possibly the chef to make sure they understand my needs... which means that knowing what is and isn't compliant is absolutely necessary. They want our business, so they're usually happy to help if it's within the scope of what they have available.

(It's not actually affordable for me, but the information is valid and based on what I learned when trying to find options for certain events during my Whole30 and even after.)

For me, eating out was possible when unavoidable, but not anything I'd do if I could avoid it. Sure, I can pick the menu down to its composite parts and have a meal, but what turns out to be a very plain meal costs me eating-out prices and the whole exercise was stressful, from thinking about what was on the menu, to asking all the questions, to hoping the answers were right, to eating my super boring meal around people eating all the nice food.

I love to cook, and I can be really creative at home, so the idea of deliberately going out to order, and pay $$$ for plain steak, plain baked potato and a salad I need to bring my own dressing for was just depressing. 

• 1 month later...

Archived