cc131

Hi there-

I recently bought a container of Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo.  I read all the ingredients comparing them to the other options on the shelf, and I decided to buy it.  Now I have recently downloaded the whole30 scanner app, and I was just hanging out in my fridge scanning things and scanned the mayo.  IT came up as not approved because it contains honey, and I started to freak out.  I reread the ingredients, and honey is not listed on my jar.  I am freaking out now because everywhere online says this mayo contains honey BUT IT'S NOT LISTED ON MY JAR!!! I went to WholeFoods and looked at their jar's ingredients, and again no honey. Please advise, I want to trust the labels on my jar and not go spend another ten dollars! I am awaiting an immersion blender so then I can just make my own, but for now I just want to eat my Curry Tuna Salad!!! 

Thank you!

• Moderators

First, there is no such thing as an endorsed Whole30 scanner app - precisely because it would be impossible to keep up to date.  Second, it doesn't matter what the internet or a scanner says about your product, if the jar in your hand does not have non-compliant ingredients then it's fine.

Trust the label and get rid of the 'scanner' because you're better off trusting yourself and how to read labels and recognize ingredients that relying on a scanner that is being managed by people who may or may not be familiar with the program.

The "freaking out" thing is precisely *why* there isn't a Whole30 app that just scans labels and tells you what is or isn't compliant. An app like that would necessitate food manufacturers informing the app developer every single time there is a recipe or labeling change. The likelihood of that happening is around zero. 

Like Sugarcube said, just read the ingredients. They literally cannot put ingredients in a product and not list them on the label. If there is no honey listed in the ingredients, there is no honey in the product. 

Archived