Question about cooking with oil

Sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I couldn't find the exact answer in previous threads...

I know that olive oil is not supposed to be used at hight temps, and that coconut oil is better to use on the stovetop, but what about in the oven? I really like using olive oil to roast cauliflower and broccoli in the oven, but does that also disrupt the oil like it would on the stovetop?

Great question Isabella N.! Does anyone know what to use for cooking - in general - in place of coconut oil? I made a frittata (for the first time in my life) from a "Nom Nom Paleo" recipe - hoping that the coconut taste would "cook away" as I really dislike the taste of coconut - but alas....it did not. I'm seeing that many Paleo recipes suggest the use of coconut milk and coconut oil - so do I just have to deal with it for 30 days - or are there other magical replacements for butter out there? :-D

Great question Isabella N.! Does anyone know what to use for cooking - in general - in place of coconut oil? I made a frittata (for the first time in my life) from a "Nom Nom Paleo" recipe - hoping that the coconut taste would "cook away" as I really dislike the taste of coconut - but alas....it did not. I'm seeing that many Paleo recipes suggest the use of coconut milk and coconut oil - so do I just have to deal with it for 30 days - or are there other magical replacements for butter out there? :-D

Ghee is fabulous and totally compliant. I use it all the time. The milk solids are removed so it's more stable. There is a list of good to cook with oils in ISWF. Spectrum has a coconut oil that has no taste (to me), so that may work for you.

I haven't tried making ghee yet, but the refined coconut oil (I got Spectrum organic) has been a revelation. No coconut smell or flavor, and the texture it adds to what I'm cooking is insanely awesome. I don't think I'd like the unrefined kind, since I don't really like that smell/taste. But the refined stuff? Yes!!!

i like to use ghee, and coconut oil for certain applications. did you make nom nom's curried beef frittata? i love all of her recipes, with the exception of that one, for the exact same reason - can't handle the coconut flavor in it.

my go-to cooking fat is definitely lard. we get a bunch of pork fat from our farmers (or i've bought it at the greenmarket). it's super easy to render, incredibly cheap, and works for almost everything.

Archived