Day 3 of my first whole30

matt thomas

Well I woke up yesterday and this morning feeling like I had been taking shots of liquor for 12 hours straight. My body is barely functional at best during work hours, and all I want to do is sleep and have a kit-kat (I don’t even eat kit-kats.) My breakfasts have consisted of eggs, potatoes, some avocado or chicken sausage and sadness. Lunches are salads and fruit up until today which I had egg roll in a bowl, not a fan. Dinners have not been bad, but I never feel full anymore. Sometimes I stand in the kitchen while my fiancée is prepping food and stare at my daughters chocolate chip cookies for a while, that helps me get through 15 minutes of the day. Day 3 is only half way over and i’m not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, maybe tomorrow will be better.

• Moderators

The first few days can definitely be rough, especially if this is a big change from how you were eating. 

Remember that the meal template lists a range of portion sizes, so at a minimum, have one palm sized serving of protein, one serving of fat, and 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, but it is okay to have more than that. Added fats in particular can help to keep you full between meals. Vegetables are good for building up volume so you feel full at the end of the meal, but salad greens alone aren't always enough for that, so when you have salads be sure you're having lots of leafy greens but also throw in denser veggies -- cooked or pickled beets, leftover roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, jicama, peppers.

If you're feeling like your meals are plain or boring, try adding some sauces or dips. Chimichurri over grilled chicken, mayo or ranch to dip roasted vegetables in, there are even recipes for whole30 compliant hollandaise and bearnaise sauces.

Hi @matt thomas Okay - your description of breakfast made me laugh - there is a lot of sadness on days 2-5 I think. IT WILL GET BETTER! I promise! I'm on day 23 and have never felt more in charge of my life than I do right now - it's not just diet - things are starting to fall into place. While I wouldn't describe myself as having Tiger Blood, I am pushing 60 so maybe settling for a Sri Lankan Rusty-spotted Wildcat's blood will suffice :). I stopped being hungry about 2 weeks ago - I have to remind myself to eat. I fill my plate with my W30 template meals and have to push through to finish it all. In the meantime, I'm losing weight - this morning I noticed my wee double chin has disappeared! - my digestive system is working like it should and I'm sleeping like a champ.

Mentally, I'm less anxious and depressesd. I'm recovering from a number of sports related injuries and a foot surgery so haven't really been able to work out since October. I was reeling from this with so much anxiety but now I feel really calm about it - when I can start working out again in a few weeks, I know I will be back to my old shape in no time.

So - please - hang in there. I'm the world's biggest skeptic ("Show Me the Research" will be engraved on my tombstone!) and came into W30 with a mind that was opened just a wee crack. Experiencing this has been amazing!

Best wishes for the coming days - YOU can do this - it is only 30 days!

thanks @ShannonM816 i’ll have to keep a lot of that in mind! 

@Lorna from Canada I really did come into this with a lot of skepticism, and still have a lot to be honest. I was also wrong about what day I was on, yesterday was day 4, today is day 5, my head has been cloudy through days 2-4, today seems to be doing better though!! thanks for the words of encouragement, it helps a lot!! 

@matt thomas Just checking in to see how it's going - you're on Day 7 now?  For me, Day 7 was when the cravings started to abate but the "Am I doing this right?" anxiety kicked in to high gear. I was expecting a lot on Day 7 - much of that wasn't delivered :) My biggest NSV was, after shovelling the driveway for an hour, I resisted the siren call of a cold beer and drank water instead. Day 10 was my worst day but now, at Day 25, I cannot believe how good I feel.

Hope things are progressing well for you!

If they're going to quit, most people quit on Day 10 - I totally get that. I've been 4 weeks without my beloved wine - I've replaced it with herbal tea - the hot equivalent of cucumber water IMO :) :) 

Dat 28 here and, guess what? I'm extending for 10 days to cover my travel time and jetlag for my trip to Australia - I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE I AM SAYING THAT. So, after 4 weekends without a wonderful bottle of wine - I am going to South Australia - home of SO many on the world's great wineries -  and staying on the W30.

Hang in there mate (that's me getting ready for Aus) - it's totally worth it!

Archived