Picky Pre/Post Workout Eating???

xx_firefly

I don't know if this has been discussed in topics of past on this thread, but if someone can point me in the right direction of where to look, thank you in advance!

So I try and work out a few days a week. I alternate between cardio & weightlifting. But here's the catch.
1. I've never liked hard-boiled eggs.
2. Jerky is too salty for me, so I don't really like it.
3. I don't like eating just plain meat (like just chicken or just salmon in a pouch). I've tried safe-catch tuna, but I don't really like that either.
4. I know I can have eggs for other meals, but I since I'm on day 18, I'm getting tired of them.

Now, I've had avocado chicken salad right after a workout, and that seemed to be a good option. I've also found that olives are a good option for pre and/or post workout(???). But what else is there for me to try? Again, anything that can point me in the right direction would be a huge help!

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, xx_firefly said:

I don't know if this has been discussed in topics of past on this thread, but if someone can point me in the right direction of where to look, thank you in advance!

So I try and work out a few days a week. I alternate between cardio & weightlifting. But here's the catch.
1. I've never liked hard-boiled eggs.
2. Jerky is too salty for me, so I don't really like it.
3. I don't like eating just plain meat (like just chicken or just salmon in a pouch). I've tried safe-catch tuna, but I don't really like that either.
4. I know I can have eggs for other meals, but I since I'm on day 18, I'm getting tired of them.

Now, I've had avocado chicken salad right after a workout, and that seemed to be a good option. I've also found that olives are a good option for pre and/or post workout(???). But what else is there for me to try? Again, anything that can point me in the right direction would be a huge help!

So avocado chicken salad isn't the greatest option because it's got fat and you don't want fat for after a workout - fat slows the absorption of protein and we want quick absorption so the recommendation is lean protein and optional starchy carb.  The avocado chicken salad would be perfect for a pre-workout tho. You don't have to eat plain chicken... how about pork loin leftover that's been seasoned with a spice rub? If you're eating your pre workout at home then why not fry up an egg instead of hardboiled? 

You may need to just eat something that you're not a huge fan of because from your list you don't like hardboiled eggs (and you're sick of eggs anyway), you don't like jerky, you don't like meat plain or salmon or tuna... that doesn't leave a lot :(

53 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

So avocado chicken salad isn't the greatest option because it's got fat and you don't want fat for after a workout - fat slows the absorption of protein and we want quick absorption so the recommendation is lean protein and optional starchy carb.  The avocado chicken salad would be perfect for a pre-workout tho. You don't have to eat plain chicken... how about pork loin leftover that's been seasoned with a spice rub? If you're eating your pre workout at home then why not fry up an egg instead of hardboiled? 

You may need to just eat something that you're not a huge fan of because from your list you don't like hardboiled eggs (and you're sick of eggs anyway), you don't like jerky, you don't like meat plain or salmon or tuna... that doesn't leave a lot :(

Would smoked salmon be an option for something? Is there anything else at all?

Also, thanks for the leftover idea. I never really thought about that. I've never cooked pork before, so that will be something I have to try. 

And finally, I guess I will eat jerky as a last resort. :(

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, xx_firefly said:

Would smoked salmon be an option for something? Is there anything else at all?

Also, thanks for the leftover idea. I never really thought about that. I've never cooked pork before, so that will be something I have to try. 

And finally, I guess I will eat jerky as a last resort. :(

Smoked salmon is a fattier cut of meat so you'd want that for pre workout.

See if you can find a pork tenderloin at your store.  Garlic salt, pepper and onion powder or whatever seasoning you like (I like the jerk seasoning from Well Fed 2) rubbed all over and cooked at 450 until the meat thermometer says 170... I only ever use a meat thermometer for pork because overcooked pork is terrible - you can usually get a basic one for about $10.

Archived