Coconut milk - compliant brand

kropster

I have been to four local "natural" grocery stores ... including Whole Foods. I live in a major metropolitan area, but NO ONE has any canned coconut milk that does not contain citric acid, or guar gum or other preservatives. The stuff in the cartons seems to be filled with other sugars and illegal stuff, yet I read people on the Forums talking about using the coconut milk from the carton. Really confused!!

Can you recommend brands of coconut milk that are compliant?

Would love to find at Amazon of Costco.

Thanks!!!

I hate guar gum, so I always try to score some Aroy-D brand when I can. Trader Joe's "lite" coconut milk (green cans) is also free of additives. Try the asian markets in your area instead of the upscale chains. Guar gum free coconut milk is a little lumpier, but the improvement in taste is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have found GOYA coconut milk at two different stores with the exact same labels except one contains coconut milk, water, and guar gum and the other contains potassium meta bisulphite. I found that upsetting to realize even the same brand and label doesn't necessarily mean the exact same ingredients.

I also found KAME brand which isn't separated when you open the can. It contains coconut milk, water and guar gum.

Oh, is Guar Gum okay? I thought it was one of the nasties that we should be avoiding?

In the UK you can buy Biona Coconut milk (& Cream) which is only coconut & water. I've still got some brands that have guar gum in, so was going to give them away. Are we defo allowed GG then?

• 1 year later...

I have been trying to find Taste of Thai organic brand since finding it ONCE in a grocery store - which I was told got ordered by mistake! I haven't found a source since, and am very frustrated by that. Has anyone a source for it? Can't find it on line either - not Amazon or eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Phyllis - I just saw the organic taste of Thai cans at my local Vons.

Any one know why some coconut milk is much higher in fat than others? I too thought guar gum wasn't ok so I bought the can that just listed the ingredients as: coconut milk, water. It has 22g/fat per serving. When I opened it the can was about 1/2 full of a solid with water underneath. Sorry, I've already thrown the can away and don't remember the brand.

Another brand I used last week (can't remember, again) had 14g/fat per serving and I noticed the other brands at the market yesterday (including taste of Thai) did too. My can from last week did not have a solid chunk in it, and it was slightly thinner than the can I opened today.

So if I'm using a brand with a much higher fat content, should I use a smaller amount than the minimum 1/4 can that the meal template requires? I know I shouldn't make decisions based on the nutritional facts, but this difference makes me wonder.

2 updates:

1. Phyllis- the organic brand at Von's is actually Thai Kitchen. Sorry about that.

2. I know this because I went to the store tonight on my way home from work to buy it, because that 22g/serving stuff ruined my coffee this morning. It tasted foul when mixed in. Not exaggerating...

Hope Thai Kitchen is delicious :)

Don't worry about any extra coconut fat :)

Locally I get pure Coconut Cream and it's much higher in fat, it's great in coffee.

Some asian grocers may stock brands without guar gum, but beware, some have other weird additives. The only downside to no guar gum is they're not as fluffy if you put them in the fridge (the gum does that).

• 1 month later...

I hate guar gum, so I always try to score some Aroy-D brand when I can. Trader Joe's "lite" coconut milk (green cans) is also free of additives. Try the asian markets in your area instead of the upscale chains. Guar gum free coconut milk is a little lumpier, but the improvement in taste is worth it.

Any specific reason to hate Guar gum ....

Archived