How much protein, fat and veggies do I need at breakfast?

chefjoanne

I don't want to overdue breakfast and not sure how much to eat.  Can I simply have 2 sweet potato toasts with almond butter and apple slices or is that not enough fat  How many, protein and vegatables?  If I have 2 eggs, Ill also mix in spinach but do I need veggies at breakfast? This is day 8. 

• Moderators

Have you seen the meal template?  It's linked in my signature below.  Sweet potato, almond butter and apples is not what we would recommend for a meal altho it is technically compliant.

Our recommendation is to eat three meals a day, each one following the template including protein, fat and veggies.

That makes life simple.  No in all that I've read, I never saw that!  Would 1 egg be considered a palm sized amount of protein.  A small homemade sausage patty and 1 egg would be breakfast?

If I chose to eat turkey deli slices, would 4 oz be a good guideline for breakfast.  Lunch the same amount or more? 

Thank you!

• Moderators

If eggs are the only protein in a meal, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, probably 3-4 for most people. If you have an egg and some other protein, that's fine, just aim for probably 2/3 of a palm size of the other protein with your one egg. 

Really, though, don't overthink it. If some meals you get a little more and some a little less, as long as you're getting close in most meals you're probably fine. When you're getting everything about right, you'll find you're able to go 4-5 hours between meals pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived