Accidentally drank a Kroger essence-c without looking at the ingredient list, do I have to start over?

Keira Clark

I felt a cold coming on and drank a Kroger brand essence-c without even thinking about it. I'm on day 13. I didn't have the box (with the list of ingredients), just the packet, so I didn't even think about sugar or fructose until I had swallowed it all. Tasted sweet and started freaking out immediately. Looked online, and sure enough, fructose is the first ingredient. ugh. Do I have to start over?? So bummed, I've done everything by the book. The even dumber thing is that I ate an orange right before I drank it, I didn't even need the stupid thing. 

• Moderators

OH bummer :(

Check out the link in my signature titled 'Do I really have to start over' and see what you think.  What day are you on?  If you're very close to the beginning, could you add a couple days onto the end so it's a Whole34 for example if you're on Day 4?

Always read the labels of everything you want to consume - no ingredient list, no consume...

I’m on day 13. I’ve read the article about starting over, it does mention unintentional sugar ingestion isn’t necessarily grounds to start over, as it won’t have as much affect on your system as gluten or diary. I’m still on the fence though, I really wanted to try to do this 100%. What would you do if it was you? :(

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keira Clark said:

I’m on day 13. I’ve read the article about starting over, it does mention unintentional sugar ingestion isn’t necessarily grounds to start over, as it won’t have as much affect on your system as gluten or diary. I’m still on the fence though, I really wanted to try to do this 100%. What would you do if it was you? :(

If you really want to do this 100%, start over.

If you have something coming up that would impact your ability to extend your whole30 or to be able to do reintroductions, then maybe you wouldn't want to start over, but if you can do a full 100% 30 days straight, why not go for it?  

And if you're really not sure, keep going for now and when you get to what would be day 30, decide then if you feel like you can keep going.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Keira Clark said:

Ok, thank you both. Day 13/43, here I come. Lesson learned. 

Good for you!!  That's what I would have done also and since this is about your health and always will be, it's showing yourself that your health is worth the commitment even tho there may be some stumbling blocks!  I"m cheering for you!

@Keira Clark  

WOW - I am really impressed with your commitment!! It takes a lot of dedication to own up and then step up. I'm not sure that on Day 13, I would  have been able to add days - at that point, I kinda wished I had made my countdown calendar into 1/2 days so I could check the boxes faster. The remaining 17 days seemed sooooo far away.

Around Day 21, I decided I would reintroduce wine and otherwise remain on W30 for awhile once I was done. I really miss wine and want to open one of the amazing bottles stashed in our cellar and basically make sweet wine drinking love to it for several hours... yes, I REALLY miss wine.

On Day 27 (2 days ago), I made the decision to add 10 more days to my W30 because I am travelling to Australia (30 hours of travel - 24 in the air). All this hard work will be affected by jetlag in that I won't be able to tell the difference between jetlag and dietary reintroductions if I stop W30 right before I travel. So, I'm doing a Whole40.

Had someone told me on Day 13 that I would voluntarily add 10 days to this process 2 weeks later, I would have been in shock. 

My point is simply - by the end of this, adding back those days screwed up by drinking that essence-c won't seem like that big of a deal.

Right now, it's an amazing decision though and you're rocking this!!

• 1 month later...

I'm very inspired by this thread!

I'm on day 4 and I JUST realized after I consumed my multi-vitamin that it's a gummy and probably packed with sugar; now after reading the package, it totally is :( I remembered reading that multi-vitamins were allowed on Whole30, so I didn't think twice about it. But, I think this has more of a physiological impact since it may have been feeding my very hungry sugar dragon. After reading this post, I'm definitely going to add a few more days to my plan. AND look for another multi-vitamin!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived