Day 27 - Waving the White Flag

Lorna from Canada

So - Day 27 - yowza. I remember 3 days in saying to me hubbie (quite feebly actually) "Look, we're 10% there!! yea us" but it felt like an eternity was stretching in front of us and I was SOOOO hungry and tired and, probably, a bit cranky - mostly because I was missing my wine. I knew 30 days wasn't very long but, from that vantage point, it seemed like forever!

Fast forward to yesterday. I was suggesting to my very best BFF (40 years worth of BFFing) that she do a Whole 30. She was in a devastating car accident 4 years ago that ended her brilliant career and has left her with so much pain. She's still fighting with insurance and is up to her armpits in the lawsuit and, frankly, it's a bit of a mess. Meanwhile her weight goes up and down like a yoyo while she vacillates between extreme dieting and bingeing. I tried to describe what the Whole 30 is doing for me - it's hard isn't it? The weight loss results are obvious - my face is thinner than its been in years - but the rest of it is so amorphous. How do you describe it? So, after trying for a few minutes I said,

"I feel like, for the first time in my life, I've come to a truce in my weight loss battle."

A truce. There's a truce. It's not an actual written, signed agreement - that would be weird. But somewhere deep inside my mind and body have come to terms with what needs to be done moving forward. I'll keep feeding it well and it will love me. No fight - no frustration - no shame and anger and moments of wanting to beat myself up. Done. A truce.

Now, like all truces, this needs commitment from both sides so I have to do my part to keep feeding my body the nutritious food it wants and needs. Right now, that means extending my Whole30 to a Whole40. I'll be travelling to Australia on the weekend - 3 flights, 24 hours in the air, 30 hours of travel altogether. I don't want jetlag to interfere with my reintroduction experience. So - I'm adding 10 days. I cannot even believe I am writing this...

Archived