Just about to finish my 30 days, my life is changed!

Walkswithdogs

Hello to all of the Whole30'ers out there. I started my journey on January 1, 2019. My husband was supportive and started with me, although he was reluctant to do so. Today is day 29 and we both have seen tremendous changes in our health, personal outlook and appearance.  I think one of the biggest accomplishments I have seen in my husband is that he will now read a food label other than the price tag! He has come to understand the importance of knowing what is in his food. He has lost weight, he has more energy and he tells me when he uses the stairs at work he no longer gets winded.

For me however, this journey has been life altering. I have lived my life on a diet since around the age of 8-10 years old. I have reduced intake, counted calories, fat, exercised to exhaustion and been an anorexic/bulimic. I have taken over-the-counter diet pills as well as doctor prescribed diet medication (amphetamines). I have weighed as little as 113 pounds (I am 5 ft 7 in) and I continued to perceive myself as obese and unattractive. We don't even need to discuss self-esteem because there was none. 

With all of the damage I've done to my body over the years from food restriction and excessive exercise I have several auto-immune diseases as well as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I have been on medication for both form of arthritis since the age of 32 (currently 57). I have been on blood pressure medication since I was 26. 

Then along comes the Whole30. I read and researched for two months before I started my 30-day program. I wanted to make sure this was not some other "fad". After reading the book twice, looking at the forum comments I was ready to commit to the 30 days. I am now a self proclaimed Whole30 Guru. Even though I am still on my arthritis medication I am in more control than I have been since the age of 32! I'm even wondering if I can reduce the medication or come off of them. On the day I started my W30 my blood pressure was 149/96. I took my BP on day 27 and my BP was 117/74. That is an objective indicator of my success. I have not felt so well since I was in my late teens/early 20's. For the first time in my life have has self-esteem, confidence, and can look at my body and not feel discuss and disappointment. I assume I have lost weight, although I do not know as I have not been on a scale; I threw my scale away. However, my abdomen is totally flat. I do Pilates and Gyro exercise and my abdominal muscles can now be seen. 

I wish I would have take a before picture so I could see the actual difference but I did not due to how much I loathed my body. 

So really want to send a thank you to everyone out there who designed and wrote this program. I thank the people who produce and supply the compliant meats.  Thank you to the organic farmers.  Thank you to everyone to posts on the form, I have read a lot of you comment/concerns.

I will embark on my phase 2, reintroduction on on Thursday January 31. I plan to take it very slow, there are many foods I do not want to reintroduce at all. I'll be back to let you know how things are going. 

Congratulations!!!

I started the same day as you so this is my last day too! I'm so happy for us both.

I think self esteem is something we all (especially women) struggle with, but eating disorders are a whole different animal. I was lucky enough to have a mother who knew all the signs and caught me before I even started. She'd had a bulimic roommate in college and didn't want the same for me. There isn't a time in my life that I can remember being happy with my body. I see pictures of myself as a teenager and even though I was 120 pounds soaking wet, I can still pick out things I don't like. For a long time I adopted an external devil-may-care attitude towards food. The reality was, I couldn't stop eating and I couldn't stop hating my body. I ate in secret, I hid wrappers, I went back for seconds and thirds of dessert, and I shamed myself. I knew that in order to get control over myself, I'd have to do something very prescriptive and strict. On an eating program that tells you to "limit" high-sugar, rich foods, I make every excuse for why it doesn't really matter if I eat it. Whole30 has taught me how to eat and be full, live without added sugars, and take care of my body. If I give love to my body, it will do the same for me. We're a team, not rivals. At 25 years old I should and can be the happiest, healthiest version of myself yet! Here's to getting stronger and healthier and spreading more love!

Archived