Did you start over??

How many of you have come across an issue where you realized that you had something that wasn’t compliant, but did not start over? While it hasn’t happened to me, the person I was doing this with had this happen and is now 10 days behind me. She started over. I was curious to see how many of you have ever come across this and did not actually start over. Especially if it was accidental. We were 12 days in when this happened. She is really struggling with the disappointment and I’m worried she’ll quit. :( 

I had to 'start over' on day 4 after realising that the lime juice I'd been putting in my drink was not compliant. Rather than thinking of it as starting over, I'm now just doing a Whole34! I think putting the extra days on the end, rather than taking myself back to "day "1 was really psychologically healthy - it's not like I hadn't done 99% the right thing those first 4 days, so why shouldn't I still get credit for them? Maybe your friend would be helped by this way of thinking?

Also remind her that being 10 days behind you means that you'll be doing reintro on her last 10 days, so it's not like you'll be ordering pizza and swigging mimosas - if you're doing the "normal" reintro you'll just be having 1 food group for 1 day then 2 days of back to being compliant, so you'll still mostly be on the same track as her. 

Day 27 yesterday - making a quick Instant Pot chicken for dinner and thought to double check the ingredients of a marinade I bought thinking it was compliant. Oh no! Red Alert!! Cane sugar dead ahead!! Well, you'd think I had aborted a nuclear missile attack! The ensuing panic and "oh no, what if I hadn't checked???" machinations were WAY over the top. Whole30, what have you done to me?

Put the marinade back in the fridge for reconsideration sometime in the future and, whew. Mission accomplished. Turns out the juice and peel of an orange, a couple of mashed up cloves of garlic and some coconut aminos makes a great broth for Instant Pot chicken.

I'm wondering what I would have done had I not caught it? Can't stand to think about it any more.

On my second Whole30 (and this one I am doing now) I ordered an iced coffee unsweetened (or tea this time around) and had one sip and immediately knew it was not unsweetened, like I had ordered, and in the case of the coffee, was literally marked unsweetened. Since both times were a significant way through my Whole30 (the coffee was literally something like Day 21), I decided not to start over. I decided this for a few reasons.

1. I took every precaution to be complaint. 

2. I took one sip (didn't have to foresight to spit it out) so while it was consumed, it's not like I had the whole thing.

3. Both times it was sugar. Per the "Do I Have to Start Over" article (https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/) sugar does not have the same effects as something like soy, legumes, etc.

4. I had already completed a full Whole30 and reintroduction that as far as I know, was 100% complaint.

However, this Whole30 I accidentally had leftovers on Days 2 and 3 that I made prior to my Whole30 that had a spice blend with Parmesan and I do at least intend to add an extra three days on. Even though it was not intentional, nor did I notice the cheese, I figured I should tag a few days on for a few reasons.

1. It was dairy. Even though I have done a full Whole30 and reintroduction and know  that dairy is not a big issue for me, I do know dairy is a bigger issue that a bit of added sugar.

2. It's only an extra 3 days.

3. Those days are Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I already have to meal prep for Monday and Tuesday, might as well do it for the week. It also does not hurt that I plan on eating ~90% Whole30 after this is done.

It is really up to you. But if you do cheat, read the article and decide for yourself. It is your Whole30, so as long as you don't feel cheated at the end of it, then why worry. No Whole30 is perfect.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:53 AM, pags98 said:

I would have probably bought a pizza and eaten the whole thing and said "forget about it". HAHAHA.  Glad you caught it!

Haha!! That's what I told her I probably would've done, but she stayed strong and kept going! Besides the refried beans she ate, she's been 100% compliant, but she knows she has to start over. Honestly, I'm not sure I would've started over if it had happened to me. I am now on day 25..wooo!!!...so while I am reintroducing foods back in, she will still be in the game. She's still pretty bummed. 

On 1/30/2019 at 6:31 PM, Aliem999 said:

On my second Whole30 (and this one I am doing now) I ordered an iced coffee unsweetened (or tea this time around) and had one sip and immediately knew it was not unsweetened, like I had ordered, and in the case of the coffee, was literally marked unsweetened. Since both times were a significant way through my Whole30 (the coffee was literally something like Day 21), I decided not to start over. I decided this for a few reasons.

1. I took every precaution to be complaint. 

2. I took one sip (didn't have to foresight to spit it out) so while it was consumed, it's not like I had the whole thing.

3. Both times it was sugar. Per the "Do I Have to Start Over" article (https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/) sugar does not have the same effects as something like soy, legumes, etc.

4. I had already completed a full Whole30 and reintroduction that as far as I know, was 100% complaint.

However, this Whole30 I accidentally had leftovers on Days 2 and 3 that I made prior to my Whole30 that had a spice blend with Parmesan and I do at least intend to add an extra three days on. Even though it was not intentional, nor did I notice the cheese, I figured I should tag a few days on for a few reasons.

1. It was dairy. Even though I have done a full Whole30 and reintroduction and know  that dairy is not a big issue for me, I do know dairy is a bigger issue that a bit of added sugar.

2. It's only an extra 3 days.

3. Those days are Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I already have to meal prep for Monday and Tuesday, might as well do it for the week. It also does not hurt that I plan on eating ~90% Whole30 after this is done.

It is really up to you. But if you do cheat, read the article and decide for yourself. It is your Whole30, so as long as you don't feel cheated at the end of it, then why worry. No Whole30 is perfect.

Thank you for this post! It's nice to hear what others have done and why. I think I would have cried over that. I am always so afraid Starbucks is going to mess up. I watch them like a hawk!

If I had slipped, I would add days but consider it an extension, not a "start over". In my mind, "starting over" = "I failed", which is not at all what I want to get out of this type of experience... whereas "I'm adding ___ days to my Whole30" = "I'm going a little further with this, so I can maximize my benefits and promote long-term sustainability of this healthier lifestyle".

I wouldn't fall off the rails, either, even for that one day... because if I'm just extending it rather than starting over, there's no actual "break" in the middle between the two. :) 

Archived