Dizziness / low sugar issues

I'm on day 3 at the moment and yesterday and today have not been nice. I've had 2 episodes with symptoms that feel like a hypo, hard to concentrate, dizzy, barely able to write, hard to talk and foggy, shaky. During both I was sat down at work. I bought fruit (banana last time, apple and a pear this time) and then felt OK. My breakfast this morning consisted of an omelette and the problem occurred about 1 hour later after walking up 5 flights of stairs (normal for me to do this at work). Is this usual initially? I feel alright now and have just eaten my meal which was meat with a salad, sweet potato. I would only expect hypos to happen if I had diabetes (less than a year ago all my bloods were checked due to a skin problem and all came back normal). My diet did contain a lot of sugar especially around Christmas so it may just be that my body doesn't like it. This is not the same as the dots when standing which people seem to get and is likely due to low blood pressure due to fluid imbalance caused by low salt. It's a little scary as if I didn't quickly grab some fruit I'm not sure what would happen next. Hopefully not pass out! I'll try and boost my carb intake a bit with more starchy veg. Any other tips? 

• Moderators

This isn't normal. What was in your omelette? Are you eating enough in general? Check out the meal template if you haven't yet, you can download it here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

More starchy vegetables may help, but most people do fine with just a fist-sized serving of them each day.  Be sure you're adding one or two of the fat options listed in the template, generally in addition to what you cook with. When eggs are your only protein aim to have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand. And have 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal.

Thanks. Today no such issue in the morning. Infact had more energy than usual. That continued for most of my working day. Was not great after finishing though and again this was after exercise, a 10 min brisk walk in the cold. It's possible before that I wasn't eating enough. Possibly need more protein (especially breakfast) . Protein is broken down slowly during the course of the day though. That won't fuel me when I need a quick burst of energy. I added in a banana which seemed to help this. Not used to needing to boost myself for mild to moderate exercise. Only high intensity. I used to get the same issue if I ran over 8 miles. Not when walking or climbing stairs. Guess my body has to get used to having a much lower background level of sugar. What this tells me is my previous diet was not healthy in terms of sugar consumed. May have gone on this at the right time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived