How to Incorporate Mayo

Lissa Kristine

So, I've never been a fan of mayo, but I don't HATE Primal Kitchens avocado oil mayo in Devilled eggs (chicken salad is iffy.. it's a texture thing).

I'm trying to find other ways to incorporate some plated fats in my meals other than olives and avocado. Today, i had Spaghetti squash with sunshine sauce. 

I would love to find ways to like mayo more. Currently, the only way I really enjoy mayo/aoili is as a dip for fries. Obviously, that's out... and I do worry that dipping roasted veggies (even if they aren't potatoes) in a mayo sauce may be pushing me into the SWYPO territory.

• Moderators

It's up to you, obviously, but i don't think dipping roasted cauliflower or broccoli into mayo is going to be like dipping fries in it. Roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes get closer to the fries, but there's nothing inherently wrong with having them dipped in mayo if you want. Again, though, you know yourself, so if it's too close to fries for you, that's okay, you don't have to have it.

If you're not a big fan of mayo, how about pesto or chimichurri sauce that you could put on your meat or vegetables? Mel Joulwan has recipes for both on her site. You could even mix some pesto or chimichurri into some mayo for a creamier version that would make a good dip or salad dressing. 

If you liked the sunshine sauce, it is also good in stir fries, just add it when everything is cooked just before serving, just to warm it up. 

SO (she says, with the excitement of someone who just discovered something new), I have never ever been a mayo person, but I made some. I don't even know why. BUT - so far I've made it into coleslaw dressing, ranch dressing, I added hot sauce to it and made it a yummy spicy topping for a baked potato, I used to to spread over some fish to stick an almond and lemon zest topping to it before baking (worked a treat! The mayo cooked and kept the topping sticking right to it!)

I figure it's egg and oil, right? So it's perfect for spreading thinly on uncooked meat to get compliant 'breading' to stick, or a crust, I also mixed it with mashed potato and sweet potato and it made creamy mash. 

I have to agree with @SchrodingersCat on this one. I've never liked store-bought mayo, regardless of which brand or what ingredients. The only way I ever managed to use it for myself was in deviled eggs/egg salad or in the place of butter for grilled cheese (which is obviously so far from being compliant that it's not funny!)...

But I actually like the stuff I made at home. I use sunflower oil for mine because I didn't like the taste of the one I made with olive oil, and I find avocado oil just too darn expensive at the stores where I've seen it (I also cook for far more people than just me, so it's important that I'm able to make the budget stretch enough to feed us all even while making sure I get what I'm wanting/needing).

Nearly every time I make a salad, I'll grab a spoon or two of the mayo out and mix some spices up in it for a quick dressing, catering to the exact "I'm in the mood for..." taste I'm wanting at that moment, without having a bunch left over to save in the fridge. Like Schrodinger's Cat, I've also used it in coleslaw dressing, ranch dressing, and I've mixed it into a fish rub (sans breading over here, though). I haven't actually tried it with mashed potatoes, but I might have to do that tomorrow, love that idea!

It's way too easy to put mayo into a tiny little box that totally limits its potential, because it really is versatile if we can break free from the idea that it's for sandwiches and potato/egg/chicken/pasta salad :) 

I'll have to look into this chimichurri sauce people are talking about. 

Prior to discovering Primal Kitchen mayo, I only used mayo (while gagging) to make deviled eggs. Once it was mixed into the egg yolks, I was ok as long as I didn't think about it too much. I've never been a huge fan of chicken or tuna salads because of the mayo (though, I have tried the Whole30 curry chicken salad in the past- I just did it using a LITTLE bit of mayo and a LOT of yogurt on these cranberry oat crisps because I was trying to keep it lower in fat/calories (not on a Whole30 at the time). 

My uses for mayo include:

• Mixing it with parmesan cheese and using it to top chicken breast (with breadcrumbs)... it's a Hellman's recipe.
  • Deviled eggs
  • On the outside of grilled cheese (I actually had my first food dream after day 1 of Whole30... it was about a grilled cheese sandwich)
  • As a dip for fries (usually in the form of a garlic aioli.

That's pretty much it. I did see someone suggest stirring it into scrambled eggs. 

How much mayo is considered a "serving" for meal template purposes? 

Really, I'm just trying to find other ways to incorporate fats. I do a LOT of olives and avocado (I went through two jars of olives in my first week) and I need some variety. Plus, I may decide to try making my own mayo (since I used up the last of my Primal Kitchen stuff and I'm broke). I love eating avocados, but it's an expensive habit and I need to find other options for fats that don't break the bank. (I have used coconut milk, but most recipes I've tried only use a portion of a can for multiple servings so it isn't enough fat).

I think the template suggests 1-2 'thumbs' of fat and a tablespoon of mayo would be one (given it's almost all fat).

Here's the chimmichurri I make: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chimichurri-sauce-2

It keeps forever in the fridge and is soooo much better if you make it a couple of days in advance. It's a yummy salad dressing, amazing on grilled meats, great as a marinade for chicken...

4 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I think the template suggests 1-2 'thumbs' of fat and a tablespoon of mayo would be one (given it's almost all fat).

Here's the chimmichurri I make: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chimichurri-sauce-2

It keeps forever in the fridge and is soooo much better if you make it a couple of days in advance. It's a yummy salad dressing, amazing on grilled meats, great as a marinade for chicken...

Ooooh. Cilantro. That one almost looks more appealing than the Well Fed one just because of the cilantro haha. I may have to swap out red pepper flakes for the chili since I don't know where to get a red jalepeno. 

Hopefully, my unemployment claim goes through so I can go shopping for ingredients to make this. 

I will say, the recipe you shared seems to use a lot more vinegar than the other recipes I've seen while looking up Chimichurri sauce. So, that's throwing me off a little.

Just now, Lissa Kristine said:

Ooooh. Cilantro. That one almost looks more appealing than the Well Fed one just because of the cilantro haha. I may have to swap out red pepper flakes for the chili since I don't know where to get a red jalepeno. 

Hopefully, my unemployment claim goes through so I can go shopping for ingredients to make this. 

I will say, the recipe you shared seems to use a lot more vinegar than the other recipes I've seen while looking up Chimichurri sauce. So, that's throwing me off a little.

That might be why I love it so much, I love vinegar! But I also play with the proportions a lot (I use that recipe as an ingredient list rather than a recipe, really) so you could totally cut down the vinegar.

Pesto with spaghetti squash is amazing.  I also put Primal's Chipotle Mayo on top of my eggs for added fat when I don't have/want avocado.  There's also a really good salmon recipe from Publix that you put stoneground mustard with mayo and bake the salmon.  SO. FREAKING. GOOD.  

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Sarasaurus said:

I love mixing homemade mayo with horseradish as a sauce for steak or burgers. (Be sure to check the ingredients if buying prepared horseradish - I've seen some that are not compliant.) I also like mayo mixed with mustard as a dip for lots of meats and veggies.

I was just coming here to say 'mayo mixed with horseradish and a sprinkle of seasoning like Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel or 21 Seasoning Salute is GREAT!

23 hours ago, pags98 said:

Pesto with spaghetti squash is amazing.  I also put Primal's Chipotle Mayo on top of my eggs for added fat when I don't have/want avocado.  There's also a really good salmon recipe from Publix that you put stoneground mustard with mayo and bake the salmon.  SO. FREAKING. GOOD.  

I was going to try the Chipotle Mayo, but they didn't have it (or the Garlic one) when I went to the store today. 

40 minutes ago, Lissa Kristine said:

I was going to try the Chipotle Mayo, but they didn't have it (or the Garlic one) when I went to the store today. 

don't be afraid to make your own, pretty much any compliant hot sauce will mix well with mayo to make a tummy spicy mayo. Same with whipping some garlic powder or crushed garlic through some plain mayo

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, pags98 said:

I think chipotle powder is pretty easy to find too.  Not sure what the lime would do to it though...possibly separate it? 

I do tend to stock up on it when it's on sale though because we put it on just about everything!

The chipotle powder stays fairly... gritty... the best bet is if you can find some compliant chipotle peppers packed in oil or dried and soak them yourself so they're more of a paste to mix in.

1 hour ago, pags98 said:

I think chipotle powder is pretty easy to find too.  Not sure what the lime would do to it though...possibly separate it? 

I do tend to stock up on it when it's on sale though because we put it on just about everything!

The lime doesn't bother it - I add citrus to mine all the time. Citrus will separate dairy, but not mayo.

Archived