"Who's starting 1/1?" Reintro Group

megbeveridge

I am here for this. Re-posting my post from the "Who's starting 1/1?" page here:

YAY WE MADE IT. CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE. WE ARE AMAZING.

Day 31 is here, and while I thought on Day 1 I would be dying to get wine in my system, I am actually starting reintroduction with legumes, instead. Not missing the wine, and honestly not missing the legumes, either. Really the only thing I am looking forward to reintroducing is dairy, because if it turns out to be an okay food for me, that frees up busy event days for me if I can have yogurt for breakfast; like, truly makes my life 100% easier on those specific days. However, I have a fear it is going to cause some issues, so I am working up to it based on the suggested reintro schedule in the book.

I lost about 12 lbs. which was not the purpose so that is a bonus. And I have a lot of NSVs which surprised me, because I was not expecting any. Let's all list our favorite NSVs today so we can celebrate together! Mine are:

• Flatter stomach, rings fitting better, less bloated, less joint swelling.
  • Less gas.
  • No longer use food as a reward, learned how to read a label, can identify cravings vs. hunger.
  • Sleeping more, less night sweats.
  • No more mid-day energy slump.

Hope to keep seeing people share during reintroduction to see just how differently food effects each person. I can already tell legumes make me cranky (based on my reactions to things at work), though no physical affects yet... - E 

I weighed in at 234.4 on December 31st. Today, I weigh 227. So totally a scale victory, which gives me hope that I can and add in other healthy habits (especially now that I get real food fuel, not yucky gunky sugar rush until I crash fuel) to continue this journey and maybe one day see the underside of 200 again (last saw that around 15-18 years ago).

I listed some of the NSVs I've noticed (they're in my personal log), but I'll summarize here... and add a few more.

* my mood is more stable, which is super-awesome when diagnosed with bipolar
* sleep is better -- I sleep faster, and more soundly
* I really enjoy good food enough to prefer it over the idea of junk food now
* this goes with enjoying good food, because I'm really enjoying COOKING more than before
* I don't miss the beans
* I've got a few pairs of loose(r) pants, so that's cool
* I feel more motivated to pursue other healthy habits that I've put off for ages
* I've replaced my mint habit with an ice-sucking habit
* I've met some awesome people here, and made some great friends through this
* I've learned today that sugary drinks can't buy my soul, anymore (tried something I used to love, and it's just not good now)

I'm doing a slow reintroduction... it's going to take me at least a month to get through it, barring any huge reactions that require more than 2 days for recovery and evaluation. Today is added sugars, hence drinking things that are unnaturally sweet. Like I mentioned above, I just don't actually like the taste of super-sweet things that I used to love. I put honey in my tea this morning, but it was so little of it that it didn't turn my stomach... but also so little that it didn't change the taste much, so I don't see a point in using it. I like the taste of my tea without it, so there's no need to add something that isn't doing any good. The only other sugar I'll have today is coming this evening, when I'll drink a mug of Yogi tea (the echinacea immunity blend, which has stevia leaf). So far, I think the added sugar has contributed toward me being a bit more tired today than usual (like all day long, not just pockets), so it'll be interesting to see how the tea affects me this evening (it'll be a few hours before I plan to sleep).

I think I might be the only person who has been sleeping worse. It could be that I'm not using the extra energy I gained, but I'm really not sure. Some nights it was definitely the headaches, some nights it had to be dehydration. The other ones are a mystery. 

I'm not doing a traditional reintroduction of sugar since I already know what it does to me. I'm going to allow myself one unnaturally sugary item a week if I feel like I really want it. Otherwise, I won't. Today was a coworker's baby shower so along with reintroducing dairy (big mistake!) I also had a bit of super sugary frosting off the cake. Yikes! I'm already feeling the negative effects. I've been drinking extra water today to try to counteract the sugar, but it really had nothing on that buttercream icing. 

For dinner it'll be back to Whole30 with zoodles and meatballs and I couldn't be happier! 

Reposting again with my NSVs and plan for reintroduction:

NSVs

• Developed automatic habits for meal planning and grocery shopping. This led to eating out MUCH less, generally being more prepared for work (by having breakfast and lunch ready every day) and throwing out less food.
  • Energy and sleep were markedly better. I always had trouble falling asleep in less than an hour and a half, and this has changed after Whole30. I also found I had more consistent energy and focus throughout the day.
  • Elimination of gas and bloating, but unfortunately not a lot of progress in "regularity" (which has always been an issue for me).
  • I feel much slimmer and lost 5 lbs (from 132-127). I haven't taken my measurements, but I think my body composition has changed for the better.

Reintro Plan

• Day 1 - legumes. I had peanuts with breakfast, edamame with lunch, and black beans with dinner. Definitely noticed increased gassiness (bad sign), but also noticed on day 2 (today) that the fiber helped *ahem* move things along. So I think legumes might be good to add in, but in limited quantities (maybe only one serving a day).
  • Planning to have a drink tonight with friends even though it's technically a strict Whole30 day. Is this going to really mess with my reintro? 
  • Day 4 - so torn! Since it's the Super Bowl, I'm debating which food group I want to add back in for indulgence purposes. Heavily leaning towards dairy so I can have my beloved cheese again... any ideas?

@Junebug2015 I am sticking with the suggested re-intro plan, because I have to get to dairy reintro by a certain date due to work; note I skipped the non-gluten alcohol introduction for this reason, too. I guess you could say I'm saving the best (wine) for last! ;)

I am re-introducing non-gluten grains on Sunday for Super Bowl. That means I will have 100% corn chips with my compliant salsa & guacamole. I am making the Chicken Bacon Ranch Sweet Potato Bites that were featured on the @Whole30Recipes Instagram page (link here) to take to the party, so there is another compliant option for me, as well.

Glad to see a few of us have jumped over here. Honestly, I think the reintroduction and then Food Freedom will be harder than the actual Whole30; I will likely need more support now. Thanks all!

@HawkeyeE I feel you on the reintro being harder! I think I'm more stressed now that I have the option to add things in than I was when I knew I couldn't have them for 30 days. I actually didn't even think about the Super Bowl, but I'm also reintroducing gf grains Sunday. I guess I'd better make some guac and grab some corn tortilla chips!

Since so many people lose weight on Whole30, I was disappointed I only had a 2 pound loss (no inches) during January.  Even that went away when I added back in legumes and corn during my first week of reintroduction.  As far as NSV, I sleep better at night and have less need for a long nap in the afternoon.  I was able to reduce the dosage of one of my depression meds.  I found several recipes from Fast & Easy I really like.  I'm doing the fast reintro because I have a trip coming up.  Next week is non-gluten grains and dairy.  I'm also getting my cholesterol and lipid profile checked next week.  I'm really curious how that turns out.

My cravings for sugar/chocolate have come back since I started the reintro process.  Now these foods are no longer forbidden, I think about them a lot.  I'm struggling with the FFF concept of determining if a food is "worth it".  I would accept any chocolate concoction right now.  I found a recipe for paleo brownies that are made from pumpkin, almond butter, and cocoa powder.  But without sugar would they be satisfying?  Should I keep denying I want chocolate or just go to the bakery down the street and enjoy a slice of chocolate cake?    Would that start me back on the slippery slope of a daily chocolate fix?

I haven't had chocolate cravings, but I do find myself wanting fruit more often. I'm trying to limit it, and make sure it's always with my meal instead of serving as a treat/dessert. As for the rules being relaxed and whatnot, mine aren't. I'm strictly Whole30 apart from the 1 or 2 meals which include things being reintroduced on my reintro days (the only purposefully added sugar I'm using daily is a tiny bit of honey used in a vinaigrette I made to help me eat all the salad greens I bought on sale)... I'm finding that's making it easier for me to work my way through this process without feeling like there are too many options.

I can say beyond doubt that I will end up making paleo treats once I'm transitioned out of reintroduction and into my continuing lifestyle, including a lovely pumpkin brownie recipe that I want to try, but when I do treats like that I tend to half or quarter the recipe (where able) or give half (or more) away in order to keep less of it in the house. That way I'm able to try it, my kids can have some, and there's not any continuing temptation sitting around.

Right now though, during reintroduction, I'm being strict with myself.
I know how slippery my own slope could be if I let that dragon wake back up... but for now, it sleeps peacefully.

I consider myself lucky in that respect, but I also know I put in some massive work to really dig in this past month and "go deep" where my cravings and addictions were concerned. It's been an extremely insightful experience.

Hello all!  This weekend I reintroduced wine, peanuts, chips (corn, plantain & potato) and beer.  On Friday night I had 4 glasses of really good wine at a 70th birthday party celebration but alas I woke up the next day with a horrible headache.  I definitely overdid it and will have to limit myself to 2 glasses the next time I have wine.  On Saturday I kept mostly to Whole30 except for some peanuts.   Yesterday at a Super Bowl party I stuck to the compliant guacamole I made and had it with corn chips, potato chips & plantain chips.  Chips can definitely be a food with no brakes for me so I'll have to be careful with them.  At the party, I also had 3 light beers and woke up fine today but not spectacular feeling.  The beer tasted sweeter than usual to me. This week I am back to eating compliantly.  I simple feel better when I eat well.

I think I want to try a "Whole300" this year where I eat compliantly 5-6 days a week and if I feel like going out to dinner or having a drink on the other 2 days, I'll decide if "it's worth it" and then enjoy it.  Basically, my goal is to eat compliantly for at least 300 days this year.  I already have 32 days under my belt.  Otherwise, I feel like it is too easy to lose the healthy habits I have formed.  Anyone else interested in trying this approach to Food Freedom?

I have been very good about eating completely compliant outside of the thing I am reintroducing. I agree that has made the process a lot easier. I am through both legumes/soy and gluten-free grains.

Oddly enough, my "sugar dragon" has not come back. I mean, I did feel some cravings walking through the grocery store after the first reintroduction, though circumstances put me at the grocery store hungry so I literally wanted everything, not just the sweets/carbs/processed stuff. I re-introduced soy and legumes, and think the soy messed me up. I am going to add a couple of days at the end of reintro and try them separately to see. After non-gluten grains, I seem to be mostly okay. No slips in energy, though my sleep has been terrible; cannot fall asleep and do not get much deep sleep. I wonder if this is normal for those, or if it has to do with stress at work. Anyone have an idea?

On 2/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, Reese15 said:

Since so many people lose weight on Whole30, I was disappointed I only had a 2 pound loss (no inches) during January.  Even that went away when I added back in legumes and corn during my first week of reintroduction.  As far as NSV, I sleep better at night and have less need for a long nap in the afternoon.  I was able to reduce the dosage of one of my depression meds.  I found several recipes from Fast & Easy I really like.  I'm doing the fast reintro because I have a trip coming up.  Next week is non-gluten grains and dairy.  I'm also getting my cholesterol and lipid profile checked next week.  I'm really curious how that turns out.

My cravings for sugar/chocolate have come back since I started the reintro process.  Now these foods are no longer forbidden, I think about them a lot.  I'm struggling with the FFF concept of determining if a food is "worth it".  I would accept any chocolate concoction right now.  I found a recipe for paleo brownies that are made from pumpkin, almond butter, and cocoa powder.  But without sugar would they be satisfying?  Should I keep denying I want chocolate or just go to the bakery down the street and enjoy a slice of chocolate cake?    Would that start me back on the slippery slope of a daily chocolate fix?

First of all, CONGRATS on reducing your medicine dosage! That is a huge step and in my opinion, way better than losing weight! I say this as someone on two depression/anxiety medications who did lose weight over the last month. That's really amazing. 

As for the chocolate, I think it could be a good idea to have some extra dark chocolate around to eat with one meal if you are really craving it. You don't want to end up splurging on other things just because you can't have chocolate, which is what happens to me. Alternatively, I really like cocoa almonds! I think they got me through my first week of Whole30 honestly. Cocoa has a lot of health benefits so whether you go for dark chocolate bars or cocoa covered nuts you're not going to sabotage anything :)

On 2/3/2019 at 4:09 PM, Reese15 said:

Since so many people lose weight on Whole30, I was disappointed I only had a 2 pound loss (no inches) during January.

I didn't lose any weight either!  I actually gained 3 pounds as of Day 31 and then somehow lost them on Day 32.  But personally I feel my NSVs are way better than a read-out on a metal scale.  I decided to put the scale away for a while because it shouldn't affect how I feel. 

It sounds like your NSVs are pretty amazing.  As far as you FF, if you really want a piece of chocolate cake, then it would be better to go to a restaurant, buy a good quality piece and really savor and enjoy it.  But I recommend not baking a whole cake and keeping it in the house.  It is too easy to eat too much of it if you have it at home.  For me, FF works best when I have a well-stocked kitchen with healthy, delicious food.  If I really am craving something, than I'll go out to a restaurant and have it there. 

Hi all!!! We are week into the re-intro - some of us actually have another chat about super-slow re-intro 

you can find it here. 

Well i only lost 1KG @Reese15 @GraceMelodie (i'm now at 57kg) and my NSV are

• looser fitting clothes
  • feel like ive lost water weight/retention - i feel it in my fingers (rings), hands (the bangles i've worn for 10 years are slipping off) ankles etc
  • love handles are almost gone
  • my skin is better, less pimples and no rosacea flair out during january

My non-victories :( , which I was kind of hoping for are

• still no luck going number 2 on a regular basis
  • stomach pains and cramping still somewhat regular, even if they were less frequent
  • more bloaty/gassy than usual

Regarding the re-intro. Taking it slow as per above thread. Started with legumes, which as someone else mentioned, although they made me feel a little bloated and gassy (beans... beans...) it definitely gave a kick to my system and helped things move, in my book that's a good thing! So ill keep on those for now... next is processed soy - soy milk, tofu as it's widely available in Singapore where I live and I'm sure digested differently to just beans, peanuts & chickpeas! 

It's not over yet... 

I'm almost finished with my reintroductions.  I'm doing the fast track plan because I have a big trip starting soon and I wanted to be done before I left.  Yesterday was dairy day.  I had some plain yogurt and cheddar cheese and both upset my stomach a little bit.  But I love dairy and will probably eat some on occasion.  I've never found dairy substitutes to be as good.  What I'm most concerned about is sleep and anxiety.  I don't feel as energetic since I started the reintroduction phase. I don't wake up as refreshed in the morning and I seem to be more worried these past few days than before.  I  cut back on one of my meds during the Whole30.  Now I'm not sure if this anxiety is from that and I need to go back up on the meds or if its from digesting new foods.  I've got one more food group to go -- gluten grains.  Then I go on my trip.  Once I'm back, I'll probably return to Whole30 rules for a couple of weeks and see if the sleep/anxiety issues get better again.  

I honestly think I could probably reduce my med dosage, but I'm trying to get through all of reintro and then do a month of what my post-W30 eating will be like... then I'll talk to my doctor and see what he thinks. I just don't want to reduce mine early and then find out I have to increase it again :( So I'm doing what I don't do best... waiting :D

On 2/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, Reese15 said:

I'm almost finished with my reintroductions.  I'm doing the fast track plan because I have a big trip starting soon and I wanted to be done before I left.  Yesterday was dairy day.  I had some plain yogurt and cheddar cheese and both upset my stomach a little bit.  But I love dairy and will probably eat some on occasion.  I've never found dairy substitutes to be as good.  What I'm most concerned about is sleep and anxiety.  I don't feel as energetic since I started the reintroduction phase. I don't wake up as refreshed in the morning and I seem to be more worried these past few days than before.  I  cut back on one of my meds during the Whole30.  Now I'm not sure if this anxiety is from that and I need to go back up on the meds or if its from digesting new foods.  I've got one more food group to go -- gluten grains.  Then I go on my trip.  Once I'm back, I'll probably return to Whole30 rules for a couple of weeks and see if the sleep/anxiety issues get better again.  

I'm curious as someone on anxiety and depression meds myself, how did you know you were ready to step it down? I feel like I have my symptoms really well controlled right now, but I'm afraid I'll get worse if I reduce my dosage. I didn't feel this good until the last day or two of Whole30, but since then I've continued to feel great. Reintroduction has actually made me feel even better since I'm not so worried about messing up all the time! It's just difficult to gauge where my brain is vs where my body is.

@megbeveridge  I saw my doctor during my Whole30.  Into week 4 I was feeling so good, happy, focused.  We experimented with reducing the dosage.  One of the side effects of one of my meds is an increased appetite and I really wanted to see if I could get by on less medicine and make that side effect go away.  

Archived