Detox February - NEW

I am starting the 'Whole30' adventure on February 1, 2019! I add the year because if not, I'll wait till next. :lol: I am looking forward to using this forum to connect with vibrant individuals (such as yourselves.) To share your life-hacks, experiences, and recipes. I am so nervous! I have an issue where sometimes I am ALL TALK. The 'Whole30' is my opportunity to finally do something that will better my life. I can't wait to connect. Whole30 will be a WHOLE lot better with you involved. I hope this is appropriate to post!? I am just reaching out to the tribe because I am going to need y'all. 

with so much gratitude

-Ry :wub:

Greetings Ryan! I'm on day 18 after being "gonna start" for probably a year myself. I'm loving it! Feel free to look up my Whole 30 Log in the Log section near the bottom of the forum for a (probably very boring) day by day of what I eat and how I feel lol.

Don't be afraid to experiment, don't be afraid to ask, use the forum as the great source of info it is (hint: the search function isn't great, you're better to google "Whole 30 forum [query- i.e. can I have ______]" but sooooo many questions have already been asked and answered by the excellent mods here that it's easy to find info!

There's also FB groups which are really interactive, the "Whole 30 Support Group" is a good one. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Amni AZ said:

I'm just starting last night and today (1st February 2019) i already lost 5 pounds!! So excited to see the results by end of this month

Remember that one of the rules is to not weigh yourself during your whole30. That rule is just as important as the other rules.

(Rules are here if you want to review them:   https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/)

1 hour ago, Amni AZ said:

I'm just starting last night and today (1st February 2019) i already lost 5 pounds!! So excited to see the results by end of this month

I was just going to say, your success in this program is going to be worth way more than weight loss! I can't wait to read about it. We have each other :D

'

5 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Greetings Ryan! I'm on day 18 after being "gonna start" for probably a year myself. I'm loving it! Feel free to look up my Whole 30 Log in the Log section near the bottom of the forum for a (probably very boring) day by day of what I eat and how I feel lol.

Don't be afraid to experiment, don't be afraid to ask, use the forum as the great source of info it is (hint: the search function isn't great, you're better to google "Whole 30 forum [query- i.e. can I have ______]" but sooooo many questions have already been asked and answered by the excellent mods here that it's easy to find info!

There's also FB groups which are really interactive, the "Whole 30 Support Group" is a good one. 

Thanks so much for such a detailed response, nothing is boring when it helps 'pass' the time. There are so many pretty packages at the grocery store for things we are needing to avoid during this beautiful life cleanse. I look forward to checking on your post. 

3 hours ago, Stac514 said:

I just started today too!!! 
Here's to hoping and crossing fingers....

What is your motivation for wanting to do this?

Yas! This is very exciting, my motivation is whole body health. I have always had 'stomach' issues... aka the worst. One of my intentions for 2019 was to work on "MORE DOING, less saying." accountability is huge and the Whole30 is a win, win. Great health, glow, attitude, and the feeling of accomplishment with this beautiful community! What is your motivation, i can't wait to hear back :) Shoot

Yes- putting the words into action!

I have an autoimmune disease & my endocrinologist really recommends giving this a shot. I have been mostly dairy free (minus chocolate mostly...) 

I'm excited to break some nasty habits... I love to snack throughout my work day! So, I'm excited to have much more control on what I'm eating / snacking on instead of whatever I grab that is easy... Two days down!! 
Where abouts are you? I'm in Michigan! 

Welcome @Ryan Oakford Posen I love the sound of your enthusiasm and commitment! Why wait, right? Do it now :) So glad you're here.

Day 31 here - I'm doing a Whole 40 so I can go to Australia tomorrow and not muck up my reintroductions with jetlag. Had you told me I would voluntarily choose to add 10 days to this, I would have laughed and laughed and laughed. And laughed.

This is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I feel fantastic after years of so many weird little health problems too numerous to list here. I did weigh myself at the end of 30 days because I want a baseline before I leave for Australia for 9 weeks. I lost a little over 10lbs in 30 days. That's nuts. I've written quite a lot about my journey on the Your Whole30 Log page - have a read if you're looking for some motivation or inspiration! 

In the meantime, let's get at 'er! I still have 9 more days and a whole bunch of travelling to do so I'll be around :) 

3 hours ago, Stac514 said:

Yes- putting the words into action!

I have an autoimmune disease & my endocrinologist really recommends giving this a shot. I have been mostly dairy free (minus chocolate mostly...) 

I'm excited to break some nasty habits... I love to snack throughout my work day! So, I'm excited to have much more control on what I'm eating / snacking on instead of whatever I grab that is easy... Two days down!! 
Where abouts are you? I'm in Michigan! 

I am sending you all my vibes! I am the same, I cut dairy years ago. HOWEVER, chocolate still most unquestionably makes an appearance. I am on day two as well. I am in Vancouver, Canada! :) WE GOT THIS. Let me know if you have any amazing finds in terms of foods, and meals you're loving. 

2 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Welcome @Ryan Oakford Posen I love the sound of your enthusiasm and commitment! Why wait, right? Do it now :) So glad you're here.

Day 31 here - I'm doing a Whole 40 so I can go to Australia tomorrow and not muck up my reintroductions with jetlag. Had you told me I would voluntarily choose to add 10 days to this, I would have laughed and laughed and laughed. And laughed.

This is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I feel fantastic after years of so many weird little health problems too numerous to list here. I did weigh myself at the end of 30 days because I want a baseline before I leave for Australia for 9 weeks. I lost a little over 10lbs in 30 days. That's nuts. I've written quite a lot about my journey on the Your Whole30 Log page - have a read if you're looking for some motivation or inspiration! 

In the meantime, let's get at 'er! I still have 9 more days and a whole bunch of travelling to do so I'll be around :) 

Thanks so much for the welcome! That is amazing, I am wishing you so much adventure in Australia. Your body is most likely LOVING YOU! That green refreshed high vibe eating habit is awesome. I am already motivated and thankful to be joining such a great experience.  Have a beautiful flight. 

12 hours ago, Ryan Oakford Posen said:

I am sending you all my vibes! I am the same, I cut dairy years ago. HOWEVER, chocolate still most unquestionably makes an appearance. I am on day two as well. I am in Vancouver, Canada! :) WE GOT THIS. Let me know if you have any amazing finds in terms of foods, and meals you're loving. 

I made two soups and chicken nuggets yesterday that was amazing! I put a bunch of it in the freezer & that was the best idea! I teach & will need to grab lunch quick every day! Looks like we are about the same age! 
My big issues are- I don't like seafood and I don't like nuts...so there goes a lot of options! Maybe I'll have to try it again... 
What are your go to meals?

9 hours ago, Stac514 said:

I made two soups and chicken nuggets yesterday that was amazing! I put a bunch of it in the freezer & that was the best idea! I teach & will need to grab lunch quick every day! Looks like we are about the same age! 
My big issues are- I don't like seafood and I don't like nuts...so there goes a lot of options! Maybe I'll have to try it again... 
What are your go to meals?

I need to try these nuggets!! I love chicken. Can't stop, won't stop. great idea. I am 26, trying to stay young at heart, young at health. Seafood is not my go-to either. My main has been like 8 eggs a day a ton of veggies, I do a Vitamix all green smoothie. I eat peppers like apples now. Almonds, coconut milk unsweetened of course with matcha powder. I am also trying to gain weight so I am looking more at this detox as a way to eat CLEAN, and gain. :D

• Moderators
On 2/3/2019 at 10:38 AM, Stac514 said:

My big issues are- I don't like seafood and I don't like nuts...so there goes a lot of options!

This honestly doesn't limit your options by all that much... many folks choose not to eat nuts for a variety of reasons, some being that they can be hard to stop once started eating, they can cause digestive upset and they're not the best balance when it comes to omega 3-6.  We recommend they be limited on the program anyway so leaving them off isn't a deal breaker :)

As far as seafood, I can't remember the last time I ate seafood altho living in Vancouver BC, you'd think I'd eat a lot more than I do... I do eggs, pork, chicken, ground beef and sometimes stewing beef and with a variety of veggies and healthy fats, that's lots of variety!

15 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

This honestly doesn't limit your options by all that much... many folks choose not to eat nuts for a variety of reasons, some being that they can be hard to stop once started eating, they can cause digestive upset and they're not the best balance when it comes to omega 3-6.  We recommend they be limited on the program anyway so leaving them off isn't a deal breaker :)

As far as seafood, I can't remember the last time I ate seafood altho living in Vancouver BC, you'd think I'd eat a lot more than I do... I do eggs, pork, chicken, ground beef and sometimes stewing beef and with a variety of veggies and healthy fats, that's lots of variety!

You're also from Vancouver! So much fun, now I HAVE TO succeed. 

I am on DAY 4, but this is how I Felt for day ONE. Happy MONDAY Y'all. Why do I look at things I NEVER look at when I grocery shop... ugh struggle. 

• Moderators

Cute video!  You may want to consider ditching the 'smoothie' and adding more veggies to your meal - liquid food does not give the same satiety as chewed food (google 'can I have smoothies' for an explanation).

Also, eggs when they are your sole source of protein in a meal is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping and then don't forget to add your plated fat :)

Carry on good sir!  You'll definitely kill this!

39 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Cute video!  You may want to consider ditching the 'smoothie' and adding more veggies to your meal - liquid food does not give the same satiety as chewed food (google 'can I have smoothies' for an explanation).

Also, eggs when they are your sole source of protein in a meal is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping and then don't forget to add your plated fat :)

Carry on good sir!  You'll definitely kill this!

Love this! Thank you for the advice, thanks for also taking a moment to watch, I appreciate it. "time is of the essence." For Smoothie, I always make sure to have a ton of Wholefood along with it. It's more or less my healthy drink for the skin. I am also trying to gain weight on this diet so I eat quite a bit. For example 

Smoothie 2X a day 

Spinach, Romain lettuce, turmeric, half a lemon with peel, Whole green apple (just 1x a day) celery. kale, ginger. 

With full meal. 4 eggs, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, 

second meal  Afternoon

4 eggs, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, chicken, full avocado,

of course, unsweetened coconut milk with compliant matcha. 

Meal three - Second smoothie without fruit. Unsalted Almonds, Baby carrots, Eat a whole pepper, One avacado. Spinach Salad with mushrooms,  

nighttime - Carrots, almonds, red pepper, sometimes half an orange. 

Thoughts? Again, the smoothie is never a 'meal replacer.' it's almost so I can force more food in? if that makes sense. But always taken with Tons of other whole foods, aiming for 3000 calories a day. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ryan Oakford Posen said:

Love this! Thank you for the advice, thanks for also taking a moment to watch, I appreciate it. "time is of the essence." For Smoothie, I always make sure to have a ton of Wholefood along with it. It's more or less my healthy drink for the skin. I am also trying to gain weight on this diet so I eat quite a bit. For example 

Smoothie 2X a day 

Spinach, Romain lettuce, turmeric, half a lemon with peel, Whole green apple (just 1x a day) celery. kale, ginger. 

With full meal. 4 eggs, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, 

second meal  Afternoon

4 eggs, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, chicken, full avocado,

of course, unsweetened coconut milk with compliant matcha. 

Meal three - Second smoothie without fruit. Unsalted Almonds, Baby carrots, Eat a whole pepper, One avacado. Spinach Salad with mushrooms,  

nighttime - Carrots, almonds, red pepper, sometimes half an orange. 

Thoughts? Again, the smoothie is never a 'meal replacer.' it's almost so I can force more food in? if that makes sense. But always taken with Tons of other whole foods, aiming for 3000 calories a day. 

Yes, that does make sense and wanting to gain weight also makes you an outlier to the recommendations :)  I would recommend if you want to maintain or gain weight that you add more fat to your meals - your first meal has none and your meal three has no protein?  Are you a vegetarian?  You're honestly not eating very much - I mean sure there's tons of veggies from the smoothies and the chewed veggies but over all, not enough protein or fat.

• Moderators

Check out the Meal Template linked in my signature below to start - make all your meals match...for you, you'll want to go to the high end of the template for protein and fats.

Have a look and then come back and let me know if you have any questions.

Also, I just did a quick calculation on your calories... you're not even hitting 2000 with that sample menu (and I gave you FIFTY almonds with your third meal which I doubt you ate)...

16 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Check out the Meal Template linked in my signature below to start - make all your meals match...for you, you'll want to go to the high end of the template for protein and fats.

Have a look and then come back and let me know if you have any questions.

You are AWESOME! Thanks again, i'll need you more for sure haha :)

19 hours ago, Ryan Oakford Posen said:

I need to try these nuggets!! I love chicken. Can't stop, won't stop. great idea. I am 26, trying to stay young at heart, young at health. Seafood is not my go-to either. My main has been like 8 eggs a day a ton of veggies, I do a Vitamix all green smoothie. I eat peppers like apples now. Almonds, coconut milk unsweetened of course with matcha powder. I am also trying to gain weight so I am looking more at this detox as a way to eat CLEAN, and gain. :D

YOU'RE TRYING TO GAIN WEIGHT?! said no woman ever.... crazy fool... ;) 
I'm 25, so I'm there with you! 
Here are the nuggets: https://unboundwellness.com/sweet-potato-chicken-poppers-paleo-aip-whole-30/ 
They are pretty good :)

Archived