Ji's post-W30 log

Jihanna

23 Feb 2019 -- reintro day 24, a bit of spontaneous dairy

Meal 1 -- 10:30
3 omelette cups (egg, sausage, mushroom, tomato, spinach, zucchini)

Meal 2 --14:30
2 beef patties, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion
a slice of pie (had dairy for sure, probably gluten as well)

Meal 3 -- 19:30
beef and potato skillet with bell peppers and onions

Apparently, it's not as easy to eat right after I get up at 9:00, compared to when I get up hours earlier. Maybe it's an innate feeling that there's just not enough time and stuff has to get done... I don't know. I do need to buy a few things before I come home and cook, though, so that's entirely possible to be behind my inability to feel hunger at the moment. I've got a headache, but no hunger. I'll eat as soon as I'm home and have made breakfast, even if I haven't really wanted food by then (but that's unlikely, it's been quite long enough since I ate last night that I'm expecting to be starving as soon as I walk into the store).

Apart from the hemorrhoid issue and some gas, I didn't notice any real bad effects from the soy/wheat-gluten I'd eaten the other night. I'm already "healed" from that, in terms of what I can see/feel myself (granted there can be inflammation present that I don't actually know about)... and I had the opportunity to eat a slice of pie that used to be one of my favorite things on the planet. I haven't eaten it in ages, well before my W30 adventure, because it's got dairy in it (I'm allergic and was avoiding it to prevent topical reactions).

I decided it was worth it, and after one bite it continued to be worth it, so I finished the slice. I savored every bite, which is a good thing because I don't think I'm going to want another slice for a very long time. Within 15 minutes of that first bite, I could already feel my stomach churning differently than usual, and acid reflux followed. It's not a sick to my stomach feeling, I don't feel a need to purge and I'm not actually feeling much heartburn, but I can feel the acid creeping upward (and if it continues in typical fashion from pre-W30, nausea will be close behind).

I had no idea that dairy was doing anything to me other than causing skin irritation (rashes and itchiness). Before all of this, if I mentioned being allergic to dairy, people would assume I meant lactose intolerance... and I usually would respond with something like, "No, I can process dairy fine, but I'm allergic to milk proteins and that causes skin reactions." I literally thought it wasn't a problem if I was willing to put up with topical reactions, but it looks like dairy was one of the driving forces behind my life-long struggle with acid reflux and indigestion. I honestly never would have thought that a bit of cheese or yogurt here and there might've been doing this kind of thing to me! It's truly eye-opening, and gives me an entirely new reason to avoid it in the future.

I know that I had intended to maybe test ghee before March (since I decided for sure that I'm going to do a reset round with my friend from January's round), but I'm going to do oats first since I haven't yet tested any non-gluten grains and that's the one I'd be most likely to want to include occasionally when all is said and done. If I have the time after that, I might try ghee so I can see if it's able to be included in March's cooking... but we'll see how it all goes between now and then, first. :)

Update -- about 30 minutes after writing the bit about dairy and reflux, nausea hit me hard and I couldn't shake the feeling until I allowed myself to throw up. I've never been addicted to a binge-purge cycle, but that's almost what this felt like... and I hated it. As if I needed more weight piled against dairy, the fact that it turns to frothy madness and doesn't let me digest my food in peace is definitely another mark against it. I'm iffy about even trying ghee at some point, honestly, because I'm just scared that even dairy fat won't be tolerated by my body.

My wonderful husband cooked dinner for us all, since I wasn't really feeling up to it. I washed all the dishes after we ate and cleaned the stove, did the trash, etc. I've felt very accomplished yesterday and today, because I've gotten some things done that needed to get done... this energy kind of came out of nowhere and I wish it would stay at least a while longer yet, still more to do!

Sleep tonight will hopefully be good. The girls and I have church tomorrow. I've been watching a different church online during their live service times for the past couple of months, but occasionally we do make it to our "usual" church in person... I try not to force it on them, though I'm certainly happy that they both want to attend tomorrow. Thankfully, the service is late enough that I'll have plenty of time to get up, eat, and get a few things done before time to leave. The only difficulty with going to church physically is getting lunch ready on time, so I think I'll need to do a little prep before I leave so there's less to do when I get back home. I'll have to decide in the morning if I'm going to do the roast in the crock pot (and start it by 8:00) or if I'm going to use the slow cooker (so throwing everything in and getting it started as soon as I run back in the door around 11:30). Dad gets home from his own church around 12:45, so that's about the time we try to eat our family meal on Sunday.

Anyway, I've babbled quite enough for today.

24 Feb 2019 -- reintro day 25

Meal 1 -- 8:30
3 omelette cups, banana

Meal 2 -- 13:30
pork roast, cabbage, carrots

Meal 3 -- 19:30
3-egg omelette and baked sweet potato

So... apparently I haven't written anything today... and I'm just noticing this at 10:00 pm. To be fair, I've been very busy today, and when I wasn't "busy" I was spending time with family, so I'll give myself a pass on this one.

25 Feb 2019 -- reintro day 26

Meal 1 -- 8:30
leftover pork roast, carrots, and cabbage

Meal 2 -- 14:00
burger and fried potatoes

Meal 3 -- 19:45
baked potato with sauteed sausage, onions, mushrooms, and spinach
banana

I stupidly allowed myself to stay awake far too late last night (even after binge watching a few episodes of a TV show on hulu, I'd have gotten to bed at a semi-decent hour - but I laid down and played solitaire on my phone, for well over an hour, and realized it was after midnight before I put the phone down). As a result, I didn't get up nearly as early as usual, and I feel that lovely combination of sluggish and way behind... I haven't eaten yet, it's already time to go downstairs and feed my kids before we run out the door (I'd be kidding myself if I thought I'd have time to eat while getting A's breakfast and lunch done), and I'm of course drinking my coffee because the morning is killing both me and my head (which means I won't even be hungry for a bit).

My plan as of now is to go get them out the door, and then come home in an hour and eat whether I think I feel hungry or not... and tonight I'll have to make sure I get to bed by the right time, so I can be up and at 'em ready for tomorrow at a normal time and stop throwing myself off so badly schedule-wise.

Today's been pretty busy so far, with plenty going on between regular life stuff and business scheduling. It's not anywhere near finished yet, either... we've got a library run, school pick-up, shoe shopping, chemical shopping, and some house chores to work on -- not to mention that I've got no idea what I'm doing for dinner (which means we'll probably end up doing beef patties or something). I don't usually cook on Mondays, because I typically try to get to my evening meeting, but not sure if either of those is going to end up following the norm tonight. I'm not entirely "up to" going and being with people, but might try to make it regardless... still thinking on that one.

Lunch was meh, but dinner was awesome. I don't even know why I tossed the spinach in with it, but I'm glad for every bit of it. The sauteed mix went quite well with the potato, and I felt very satisfied.

It's not quite 9:30 now, so I'm planning to head to bed in a few minutes and get plenty of sleep... I'm hoping the extra rest time allows me to get up with my first alarm.

I know I posted this as an update to the 1/1/19 group who did super-slow reintro, but I wanted to make sure I wrap up my own personal log with this information as well...
----------

I haven't finished reintro, and I'm not going to yet because I need to give my body time to recover from some of the effects I've dealt with as result of testing what I have...

What I know so far:
Sweet peas -> a little gas, but nothing unbearable for an occasional thing
Peanut Butter -> massive issues (gas, bloat, constipation, extreme hemorrhoids), prefer to avoid like plague
Soy -> similar to peanut butter but on a very reduced scale; likely fine occasionally
Dairy -> indigestion and reflux, nausea, probable vomiting; obviously not just skin reactions from allergy, will continue to avoid

I did have one day of wheat combined with soy, but no testing of wheat alone, so I assume nothing. I didn't test non-gluten grains at all, nor did I get to ghee (scared to try even just milk fat after the reactions I got from dairy).

My plan is to run another round starting March 1, then use April as another extended reintro phase wherein I'll probably start with the stuff I'd missed in round 1 before deciding whether or not to re-rest anything I did cover already.

Archived