Unexpected slip

My husband had to go to the emergency room unexpectedly last night. I had the perfect whole 30 meal cooking and then, BAM, we were gone. It was midnight and I hadn’t eaten since lunch and was starving and starting to feel bad because I hadn’t eaten in so long. My only options were very non Whole30 options. So in many ways I slipped last night. I’m back home and haven’t eaten since that meal... The part that sucks the most is it was so gross! I got zero enjoyment out of the food in front of me. I was on day 11 and can’t stand the thought of starting over. Opinions? 

• Moderators

I hope your husband is doing well now.

We generally direct people to read this article and decide for themselves how to proceed:   https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

It really sucks that this happened. Life sometimes throws stuff at us and we just have to do the best we can, and we definitely wouldn't expect you to not est anything when you were starting to feel bad from the lack of food. However, in terms of this being an elimination diet, where you take potentially harmful foods out of your diet for a set period of time, so that you can carefully reintroduce them to see how you react,  your body doesn't know the difference between something you had because you wanted it and something you had because it was your only option. For this aspect of the program, you have already reset the clock so to speak.

What you could do is keep going, so today would be day 12, and when you get to day 30, then decide if continuing on for an extra 11 days sounds like something you could do. You might find that adding extra days at that point doesn't seem so bad.

Archived