Red Lobster Whole30 Compliant Dishes?

lahendri

My friend’s birthday celebration is going to be at Red Lobster tomorrow and I just started my first Whole30 three days ago. I’ve glanced at Red Lobster’s menu and have even used their nutrition menu (https://www.redlobster.com/nutrition-tools/interactive-menu) to try and come up with ideas on what I could eat. It seems even the snow crab legs, steak, salmon, and large garden salad have sugar. I remember reading in the book that if it even says 0g to avoid it, so from what I can tell all these options aren’t compliant. I’m just ready to grab a compliant Chipotle bowl before heading over to her celebration, but can anyone help to make sure I’m not reading the labels on this link wrong for the future? Thanks :)

• Moderators

For sugar, you would have to talk to someone at the restaurant and ask for the actual ingredients. Many foods contain naturally occurring sugar, so they would show some in the nutritional information -- for instance, if you look at a can of diced tomatoes or tomato paste, even if the ingredients are just tomatoes or tomatoes and salt, there will be sugar in the nutritional information section, because tomatoes naturally contain sugar, and this would be fine for whole30. On the other hand, you may find a package of bacon where the nutritional information says 0 grams of sugar, but the ingredients list sugar -- that would not be okay for whole30 because there is added sugar, regardless of the 0 grams listed.

It is likely that if you can talk to someone at the restaurant you'll be going to that there will be options you can have, for instance they may have steaks or some fish that are not marinated in anything that can be dry grilled or grilled using olive oil. They can probably make you a salad and a dry baked potato that you could have, you might want to take some ghee or olive oil in a container to add, and you could ask for lemon slices or vinegar and oil for the salad. But you'll need to talk to them to confirm this. 

Someone asked this in the FB Whole 30 group I joined and the consensus was Snow Crab legs. Apparently they are steamed. Suggested adding a plain baked potato and some broccoli. Apparently their butter is also clarified butter, so it's compliant (I'd check with the wait staff, but a lot of their dishes with butter have a "no milk" allergen stamp, which would indicate it's clarified). Someone else mentioned ordering the salmon cooked plain with lemon.

The website has an allergen wizard where you can tick boxes for all you want to avoid, and it gives you options. It won't rule out every W30 non-compliant dish, but it would give you a stripped down list to work from!

I'm gluten intolerant, and we used to do some family dinners at Red Lobster.  No matter how carefully I ordered and what I requested, I got sick every time (I don't go to those family dinners anymore).  So many of their dishes have gluten/dairy that cross-contamination is a real issue.  However, it might have just been bad days at the place I was at, they could have changed recipes/procedures since then, but in my personal experience Red Lobster is the worst place I've ever eaten for allergies.

I go to a network group every Tuesday and stressed over the food so much.... not much was complaint or if I wanted something that was … was way more than my work would pay for (plus, I don't want to spend my money but the network group deal is that everyone orders). Anyway, I noticed another person always just ordered a plain salad (which for the restaurant was basically a bowl of lettuce). I took my own whole30 dump ranch and did that. Was it great? Naw, but I focused more on my networking and discussing than what I was eating. Maybe the same idea? Focus on conversation? 

Not the ideal solution, but it does work for me so I thought I'd share. 

Archived