Fermented food = tummy upset?

So I eat a lot of fermented foods, always have done. For probably 15 of the 22 days I've been on W30, I have had sauerkraut for breakfast (with poached eggs and smoked salmon). But I had it on Saturday, and again today and both times I have ended up with a very unhappy crampy stomach and the usual results of that pretty much immediately after. Any ideas why?

As for major food changes, in all honestly W30 isn't a huge stretch from how I usually eat (minus the alcohol, chocolates and candy), so I don't think my gut is rebelling against major changes. 

I thought fermented food was supposed to be good for gut bacteria! :) 

• Moderators

Fermented food is good for gut bacteria, most of the time for most people. Maybe you're eating more of it than usual? That could make a difference. I just realized you were the one posting about your homemade sauerkraut a little while ago -- did this start when you started eating your homemade stuff? Maybe it's got a different mix of probiotics than what you had before and your body is adjusting to that? 

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

Fermented food is good for gut bacteria, most of the time for most people. Maybe you're eating more of it than usual? That could make a difference. I just realized you were the one posting about your homemade sauerkraut a little while ago -- did this start when you started eating your homemade stuff? Maybe it's got a different mix of probiotics than what you had before and your body is adjusting to that? 

Yup, that was me! It was mine that I ate on Saturday, and I thought that might be the case but this morning's was just my usual The Goods stuff which I've been eating for ages. Today wasn't as bad though. You might be right, it might have been Saturday's good bacteria crashing my usual good bacteria's party :)

Archived