Sign in to follow this  
Settyfitness

Instant pot recipes?

Hello everyone. I’m on my 6th Whole 30 go around and wow is it getting easier than ever to be Whole 30 compliant all the time! 

I’m expanding my horizons sooooo....Anyone have any good WHOLE 30 Instant pot recipes I can try? I’m new to the Instant pot....and i am curious what everyone likes in there the best...

Thanks in advance and Happy Whole 30!

The best thing to cook in an instant pot to have on hand is a roasted chicken!  So easy, and you have the bone broth too.

I love my pressure cooker. I don't use it nearly as often as I did the first few weeks I had it (I had a few meals where I literally cooked 3 parts of one meal in the same insert since it was the only one I had, haha)... but there are a few things that I don't cook except in it, and I try to put at least one pressure-cooked main dish in every weekly meal plan. It's practically replaced my crock pot for a lot of things, though I do still love to pull that out also :)

Moving on... the things I love to cook in an electric pressure cooker...

"Boiled Eggs" -- There are several good blog posts out there about doing eggs this way, but I'll boil it down here (ahem).
-- insert trivet and pour in water (I've used as little as 1 Cup and as much as 1.5 Cup with repeatable success)
-- place eggs on trivet (I can fit 10 large eggs on mine without stacking or being too crowded)
-- cover and lock lid, making sure the release valve is closed; manual cook 4 minutes (some say 5, I prefer 4)
-- once done, natural pressure release FIVE MINUTES, then quick-release the rest
-- use tongs to move eggs into a bowl of cool/cold water to soak for 5-10 minutes, then store in fridge

This method produces the most easy-to-peel eggs I've ever cooked, and it's so easy to quickly do as many as I want. They're technically not boiled though, hence the quotes.

Spaghetti Squash -- We love this in our house, and while it IS perfectly possible to roast them in the oven, I've found that I prefer to do them in the pressure cooker instead. As with the eggs, you'll want to use a trivet to keep the squash above about 1 Cup of water. Slice the squash in half, clean out the seeds, and then place on the trivet (I usually do 1 half at a time, unless both fit easily). Some bloggers say you should have the inside down for cooking, others don't; I've personally found it doesn't change the product too much, apart from needing to drain it if the inside is angled up enough to catch liquid as the steam condenses. If you like crunchier strands, start with 7 minutes and work up to see what works best for you... I do ours for 10 minutes (an older squash that's dried out a bit might need longer to reach the desired level of cook).

Whole Chicken -- It's insanely easy to do a whole chicken in one of these. Just empty the inner cavity, add whatever seasonings (oils, rubs, spices, herbs stuffed inside, etc.), and cook for 6-10 minutes per pound of chicken. (Many sites/recipes say to cook for 6 minutes per pound, which probably works if the chicken is completely thawed. Mine are usually at least a little frozen, even after a thaw attempt, so I've found it works better to go with 8-10 per pound; so for a 5 pound chicken, I'd probably go with 40-42 minutes.) The most beautiful thing is that it's so easy to change up seasonings every time.

Just about any Roast -- Change up the seasonings, maybe, but I love doing roasts in the pressure cooker now. It's much easier cleanup, and nearly every recipe I've tried has been phenomenal. This pork roast with apple gravy is my favorites pork recipe so far, and my whole family loved this beef pot roast and veggies one (which is very similar to what I'd do in the crock, but this one's done faster and I think we all agreed it even tasted better than my crock roasts have).

Barbecue Chicken -- I almost avoided barbecue during my Whole30 because I was scared I wouldn't find a good sauce that I could handle, since my pre-W30 favorite was one of the Sweet Baby Ray's varieties (which undoubtedly would be WAY to sweet for me, now!) Enter the linked recipe. Granted, I adapted it a little to fit my own preferences and what I had on hand (plain mustard instead of spicy brown, and regular paprika instead of smoked due to a "smoke" flavor sensitivity in the household; I also used the suggested seasonings instead of a store-bought rub). My chicken breasts were actually straight out of the freezer thanks to a complete lack of preparation on my part (haha), so I added an extra 6 minutes to my pressurized cook time and this turned out perfectly.

Power-Veggie Chili -- That's just my name for it, but it fits! As with most things, I adapted it to fit our tastes and needs; this means I left out the cauliflower, cumin, and cayenne, and I subbed in plain paprika instead of smoked. I also made my chili powder on the fly, because that isn't a blend we keep on hand. Everyone loved this, and as my first experience with pumpkin used to thicken broth, I have to say I was very impressed. (We're actually having this again for dinner tonight, despite the fact that it's getting up to nearly 80 today.)

For recipe searches, I'll make sure to include "pressure" or "pressure cook" in my search. Looking specifically for "InstantPot" recipes can drastically reduce your results, since that's just a brand name and while many bloggers will label their recipes that way, some don't (but both usually include "pressure" in the name and/or directions). Tack "Whole30" on the back of it and you're off to the races ("paleo" can work too, and many of those bloggers will considerately note to remove sweeteners for Whole30, etc.).

Good luck and have fun!

I forgot to add that it's insanely easy to do potatoes and sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker, too. You can "bake" them whole (just put them on a trivet above the water) or cut them up and let them stew in water/broth and seasonings (my preference if I'm planning to mash them). If you've got another dish that cooks in roughly the same time as you need for baked potatoes, you can put that in the bottom and put a higher trivet in to do your potatoes at the same time, too... so that's also helpful :)

Steamer baskets are wonderful, as well, and gives you additional options for things like steamed broccoli or a California veggie blend.

One thing I do NOT use mine for, unless I'm trying out a new recipe that calls for it, is soups. I like being able to hover over my soup, taste and season as I go, etc., so I keep those on the stove!