Starting February 11, 2019 -- Join in!

TeacherFitJourneyy

Hi Everyone!

I am starting my Whole 30 on Monday, February 11, 2019.  I did a Whole30 about two years ago and loved the results. I am currently on Weight Watchers and have lost about 25 pounds since September but I feel myself slipping into eating some foods that Whole30 proved to me were not the best for my body and self. Looking forward to a month of recommitting to it. I am getting married in May and just want to feel my best which I did on Whole30! Here we go...

Joanna

I started Whole30 for the first time on January 28.  I am meeting up with High School classmate girlfriends in May and hoping to look and feel good! I'll follow your progress on the now to May timeline.  Why are you waiting until Feb 11?

Congratulations for your next wedding Joanna!

I'm also starting on February 11, since I have no social commitments scheduled for the following weeks and will be easier to stick to the meals plan.

For now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my breakfasts, different from eating eggs :-)

If you like (and don't mind my grammar or spelling mistakes, since English is not my mother tongue), we can support each other, share recipes, etc.

Ana

4 hours ago, Foodmorning said:

For now, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my breakfasts, different from eating eggs :-)

When I started Whole30 I found it difficult to eat vegetables and protein separately first thing in the morning.  Just thinking about starting the day facing 3 eggs and 1-2 cups of veggies was enough to turn my stomach.  I don't normally eat breakfast.  So I started with eggs and creamed vegetable soups like https://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/ and https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/.  Adding a tablespoon of the liquid coconut oil to the soup made it easy to add the plated fat.

Then I started making sausage patties to replace the eggs in the morning.  I still like having the soup for breakfast, but now I can eat things like https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/264076/cabbage-and-eggs/ (or with pork sausage or tuna or chicken or salmon patties instead of eggs) and https://therealfoodrds.com/easy-egg-roll-in-a-bowl/ .  The biggest thing to remember is that it is Meal One - it doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food.  You've heard of having breakfast for dinner?  Don't be afraid of having dinner for breakfast. 

Hi all! Spent the day shopping and prepping. I love how excited I am to start up again and feel really motivated. @Lauraco I waited until the 11th (tomorrow) to start just because I needed to give myself sometime to get prepped and last week was a bit stressful for me. I was happy to have this past week and weekend to meal plan and prep. Lunches are made for the week and that is vital to my success. Thirty days will bring me to March 13 which just works out well for my timeline. I want to reintroduce by Easter. Thanks! Ana @Foodmorning yes we can definitely support each other! I did rely heavily on the forums last time and think I will need the support again. As for breakfast, don't be afraid to heat up some leftover dinner. The first time it's weird but at the end of the day food is food. If you like steak I liked it with some lettuce and strawberries for breakfast. I also love avocado in the morning!

Good luck on day 1!

hey hey! I started today as well. I'm also from Europe (Vienna, Austria) ;-) it's really hard finding compliant stuff here, so I'll be making my own everything. I enjoy cooking a lot, so this aspect of whole30 shouldn't be a problem.

what I'm "afraid" of is going to Crossfit fasted, as I work out three times a week at 6 am. it's not a problem now, but I'm curious if I'll mange that on whole30. I'm not very keen on eating something beforehand. anyone working out so early in the morning? how do you do it?

here is my R1D1M1 - Sweet potato eggs nest over stir fried cabbage, mushrooms, spinach, carrots and onions. A dollop of guac.

IMG_4831.jpg

I technically started yesterday, but that's close enough, right?  I'm looking for some nice chats and good info sharing for the next 30 days.  It's not always easy to get support at home with my hubby and two kids.  

This is actually my 3rd whole30.  always feel amazing afterward... so why is it so hard to maintain? 

Hello! I started today, round 2. The last time I did this was 2 years ago. My husband is having some health troubles so we decided to do a Whole30 together. Today was good, but I definitely noticed that I had not planned well for lunches, so working on that. Excited to see changes for both my husband and myself. 

On 2/11/2019 at 3:59 AM, hellokatie said:

hey hey! I started today as well. I'm also from Europe (Vienna, Austria) ;-) it's really hard finding compliant stuff here, so I'll be making my own everything. I enjoy cooking a lot, so this aspect of whole30 shouldn't be a problem.

what I'm "afraid" of is going to Crossfit fasted, as I work out three times a week at 6 am. it's not a problem now, but I'm curious if I'll mange that on whole30. I'm not very keen on eating something beforehand. anyone working out so early in the morning? how do you do it?

here is my R1D1M1 - Sweet potato eggs nest over stir fried cabbage, mushrooms, spinach, carrots and onions. A dollop of guac.

IMG_4831.jpg

I've decided to fly you from Austria to North Carolina, USA so  you can make me that for lunch.  :o)

Day 3: feeling tired today, but the food has been really good so far.  I have been having a bit of trouble feeling full (though I'm certain I ate enough) after meals.   I have been adding mandarins and pistachios to help.  I'm trying not to snack too much.  

How is everyone today? 

On 2/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, LoloShoe said:

I technically started yesterday, but that's close enough, right?  I'm looking for some nice chats and good info sharing for the next 30 days.  It's not always easy to get support at home with my hubby and two kids.  

This is actually my 3rd whole30.  always feel amazing afterward... so why is it so hard to maintain? 

Why is it so hard to maintain! I feel you! 

I started yesterday so just one day behind you. I'm planning on continuing until May. I may do the reintroduction after 30 days and just stick with what makes me feel best. Do you have thoughts of what you want to do after 30 days?

Hey everyone! I have a snow day here in New York and had a great time doing some food prepping. Had AMAZING slow cooker wings for dinner and made a breakfast casserole. Was planning to do some turkey meatballs too but that MAY have to wait until tomorrow.  @LoloShoe make sure you getting enough healthy fats in your meals! Whether that means a few nuts or olives or some avocado, even cooking with olive oil helps! I actually often feel the opposite on this program, almost as if there are times when I barely need a third meal on the day! I think it's all about how you balance the plate. And also, forgive yourself. It's a huge change and we are just in the beginning of the days. @MeganSchallom I'm with you on wanting to keep it going for a while longer. My wedding is on 5/25 and don't want to go until then because I'd like to enjoy the food that I'm spending $$$$$$$$$ on! LOL! My shower is April 27 and bachelorette party the next weekend. I would love to wait until April 1 to do my reintroductions but I'm going to see how it goes until then. I may also do what you are saying..reintroduce and recommit to FOOD FREEDOM FOREVER! 

Hi guys I am starting tomorrow. I keep finding excuses for not starting but this morning I managed not going to fast food and having a Diet Coke for breakfast which is huge. My issue is food prepping because I am so busy so I maybe just having similar foods a lot but hey, there you go. It is going to have to be really simple and not time consuming. I have done some shopping and will cook up the veggies tonight or tomorrow. I just need to get some more chicken and eat what is in my freezer. 

I do have surgery on Tue and it’s not major which is good. It is an out patient procedure and I can go back to work by the end of the week. 

My goals are:

1. Start taking my life back by handling the Sugar Dragon since it’s been controlling my life for a long time. 

2. Improve my allergies by getting sensitive food out (additional removals are garlic, onions, peppers, citrus, & nightshades)

3. Get both my Pysical Therapies in 4-5 days per week. 

4. Taking one day/min at a time. Use my if/then senarios to help stay compliant. 

5. Post everyday to help stay on track. 

I hope everyone’s day is going great. @pearlgirl2017 those recipes look good. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

OMG WANT TO EAT ALL THE THINGS

So, eat? Like, go scramble some eggs and vegetables and have an extra meal if you're that hungry. And then look at your meals so far, and make sure they meet the meal template (at a minimum, if you need more, that's fine) -- you can download the template and other helpful stuff here:  http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. And remember that the human body is not static -- sometimes you'll have days or weeks where you're just more hungry, and that's okay, it's normal, and it's fine to eat as much as you need to.

Now, if you're bored or upset and want to eat because that's how you deal with negative feelings, that's something different entirely. For that, find something to do to distract yourself. Go for a walk, organize your closet, call a friend, work on a hobby, paint your nails, meal plan for next week (or the week after, or whenever). 

3 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

So, eat? Like, go scramble some eggs and vegetables and have an extra meal if you're that hungry. And then look at your meals so far, and make sure they meet the meal template (at a minimum, if you need more, that's fine) -- you can download the template and other helpful stuff here:  http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. And remember that the human body is not static -- sometimes you'll have days or weeks where you're just more hungry, and that's okay, it's normal, and it's fine to eat as much as you need to.

Now, if you're bored or upset and want to eat because that's how you deal with negative feelings, that's something different entirely. For that, find something to do to distract yourself. Go for a walk, organize your closet, call a friend, work on a hobby, paint your nails, meal plan for next week (or the week after, or whenever). 

"So, eat?" OK.

To be honest here I am more referencing the fact that I'm on day five and instead of wanting to kill all the things I wanted to eat all the things. I have been working diligently over the past 8-10 months to ensure that I'm not eating out of boredom or as a means to cope with being upset for negative feelings. I've had difficult days where in the past I'd have turned to sour candy and popcorn and have trained myself to go to the gym or work on something I enjoy like designing for my wedding, journaling, Konmari method, etc.  I'm proud of the first five days on my second round of Whole 30. My meals have been a great balance of veggies, protein, and healthy fats with occasional fruit as an embellishment before, during, or after a meal.  As I have been doing for several months, I spent much of Sunday's afternoon shopping, prepping, and getting myself mentally ready for a week of healthy choices so that when this inevitable moment of wanting to eat all the things came around I would have options and be prepared.

So, eat? Yes, I did eat! I had leftover steak and green beans with a hard-boiled egg and some olives. I waited a half hour after I ate to determine whether or not I was still hungry for more (I wasn't). I wrapped 45 pairs of flip flops in twine and sealed them with a tag displaying the shoe size. I responded to two parents emails (I am a teacher) and decided my reception dress to wear to my wedding. I ate. And I moved on.

I returned to the forum to comment on the rest of my evening and how it turned out but instead I read your response and had I not done this program before and achieved success I would have possibly felt discouraged. Please, refrain from making assumptions that because "OMG I WANT TO EAT ALL THE THINGS"  I am somehow not setting my plate up correctly or am reacting to something negative that happened in my day. Like you said, "the human body is not static." I posted on the forum which I created to go through highs and lows with people who are in the same place as me, to rely on and offer support, and get fresh ideas for the dinner plate. I came here for a moment of truth and a little humor. Frankly, your response rejected the notion that perhaps I was having a realistic and expected reaction to the plan but instead that somehow I did something wrong or incorrect and that is more likely the cause of my "OMG I WANT TO EAT ALL THE THINGS" moment.

Shannon- I appreciate your help on these forums. I have seen your name pop up and you provide quite valuable information to people who are navigating Whole 30 for the first, seventh, or nineteenth time. But let's not forget that we are humans who sometimes deserve the benefit of the doubt.

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

Hey hey!

week 2, yeah! 
I must admit that I was kind of sick of the food for the past two days. I didn't really crave something, but I just couldn't eat a salad again. I'd rather not eat anything. I somehow got through it and today the sun is shining again. my favourite whole30 foods I discovered this week were:

Tuna Salad (Downshiftology)
Pulled Pork Salad  (Downshiftology) 
Apple with almond butter
Egg roll in a bowl.

This week I'd like to make a chicken soup, I feel like needing it right now. On the menu are also fish curry, another egg roll in a bowl, maybe Zupa Toscana, but I'm not sure I can live with coconut milk instead of cream in a hearty dish and definitely some kind of stew. 

I already prepped sauce Bolognese (to eat with zoodels or similar), some red cabbage (cooked and raw), sauerkraut, spicy shrimps and zoodels.

also I must say that I'm sometimes jealous of American convenience-noseasonalveggies thingy, because I can't get half of the ingredients where I come from. I'd kill for a spaghetti squash, but it's only being sold here for a few weeks in autumn. Also riced cauliflower, wow! No one is selling that here - compliant sausages and bacon, compliant sauces - forget it. Rant over.

you all have a great week!

Day 11. SO MUCH ENERGY! The energy surge arrived yesterday afternoon and of course I was locked in the house because of ice and snow outside. It's cool. I did some zumba videos, weights, squats. Ate great and on plan. Feeling amazing. No outside program cravings either. Absolutely loving this round of Whole 30. Best thing I did.

4 hours ago, hellokatie said:

day 15. I'm not hungry anymore. not thinking about food at all. I would say this is one more NSV for me.

anyone of you experiencing the same?

Feeling something similar. It's not that I'm not hungry but more that I'm not having any specific cravings. That "sugar dragon" is gone so I'm comfortable eating whatever it is that I have put on my plate.  Honestly, it's an awesome feeling. In general I feel lighter. Food is not controlling my day or my thoughts. It's quite freeing. 

Archived