Smoked Salmon

AnnaGrace

I'm on day 9 of my first whole30! It is going well so far. I'm just having a hard time finding some proteins that I know I'll enjoy and be easy to eat quickly before a workout besides nuts or avocado. I just want to mix it up a little and I need a little help finding this specific item! 

I've seen different Whole30 recipes including smoke salmon. Or post recommending smoked salmon as a good protein for a snack. 

I LOVE salmon. But I can't seem to find any smoke salmon with no sugar listed in the ingredients. What is everyone's secret? Where do you find smoked salmon that is whole30 compliant?

• Moderators

My Whole Foods has smoked salmon that is compliant in their fish department and I buy the ugly 'end cuts' because they're cheaper.  At one time I used to be able to find canned smoked salmon as well but that was waaay before W30 and I can't say if it was compliant or not... I know Costco sells smoked salmon in a variety of applications so maybe if you have a costco nearby, go do some recon? I think compliant smoked salmon is somewhat of a Whole30 unicorn the way compliant ham can be... 

32 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

My Whole Foods has smoked salmon that is compliant in their fish department and I buy the ugly 'end cuts' because they're cheaper.  At one time I used to be able to find canned smoked salmon as well but that was waaay before W30 and I can't say if it was compliant or not... I know Costco sells smoked salmon in a variety of applications so maybe if you have a costco nearby, go do some recon? I think compliant smoked salmon is somewhat of a Whole30 unicorn the way compliant ham can be... 

You've got a much better chance of finding compliant hot smoked salmon (look for the large chunks) rather than cold smoked salmon (generally the thinly sliced stuff). Hot smoked salmon ought to be just salmon and salt (and pepper if its pepper salmon). 

Archived