Day 36 - Jet Lag and New Craving

Lorna from Canada

Jet lag is the worst kind of brain fog. There is a 15 1/2 hour time difference between where I was and where I am so, 9 1/2 hours of jet lagged time to consider. Theory suggests that should take a week to get over. I have a little chemical support on my side - my physician prescribes me a powerful muscle relaxant and, because I am hyper sensitive to medications, a half strength dose of it puts me out for 8 hours. It's very useful on the plane and, it's even more useful here. I'm accustomed to the process - arrive midday - force myself to stay awake until 9PM then knock myself out for a solid 9 hours of drug induced sleep.  So, here I am this morning waking up to coffee and breakfast and, despite the sleep, brain fog. My experience tells me that it'll be better tomorrow and even better the following day and, by the weekend, I should be right as rain. 

So, first off, kudos to me for getting here and maintaining my Whole 30 - that is an outstanding achievement. Of course, about half way through my travel time, it started to feel like a game I must win! So, I really pushed myself to be victorious. It meant I had a very, very low calorie day yesterday but, I was stuck on a plane so, wasn't exactly burning up those kilocalories now, was I? 

This morning I woke up with really, really strong cravings... for meat. Dinner last night was chicken and salad and, all I wanted was meat - lots of that delicious chicken. This morning, I want meat - that glorious, chewy, amazing mouth-feel protein. What a weird thing - I can't remember craving meat ever before in my life! Now, do I give in to this craving? That is the thing isn't it? Is a craving for meat any different than one for sugar? I will satisfy my body's apparent need for more food today but think I will resist the urge to eat all the meat beyond what I would normally consume. I'll see where that leads me and report back.

Off to walk my daughter to work - outside, where there is no snow and it's greeeeen. How lucky am I?

Woot!!! It's a gorgeous day! You mentioned you were within walking distance to the markets, so I presume the city - I recommend you jump on the tram (there's only one haahaa poor old Adelaide) and ride it all the way to Glenelg and go for a walk on that glorious beach!! Clear the brain fog, get some vitamin D!

I'd be indulging in the meat, within reason - I think a protein craving is likely to have more of a physical basis than a sugar craving :) 

I love that you love it - enjoy my trip vicariously all you want Schrod! I love Adelaide too - what an awesome city and aren't I lucky that my hosts live in the CBD? Everything is accessible to me here. The festivals are AWESOME - Fringe is coming next week and WOMAD soon too - love all of it. I keep a bike here so getting to the beaches is so easy for me too.  ! love Glenelg - usually I ride my bike there but I'm not up for that today, even taken the tram would be too much today - next week. This week's job is to recover from jetlag and start eating a post-W30 reinto diet.

I agree about the meat being a nutritional thing - but, craving meat is so unusal! I really didn't have much to eat yesterday so I decided to feast on a chop for lunch - bought a nice one at market.  That and a tomato salad - yum! (to quote Pete Evans ;) )

Archived