Headache/Lethargy after Meal

I'm on day 3 of my Whole 30 and have been feeling good overall. However, I noticed after dinner tonight that about 30 minutes or so after the meal, I got a dull headache and started feeling really tired and lethargic. I know these are common symptoms the first few days of the Whole 30, but this happened right after eating - I felt pretty normal throughout the day otherwise.

Here's what I ate for dinner right before the symptoms started:

• chicken "nuggets" (recipe) - 1 total chicken breast
  • paleo ranch dressing for dip
  • steamed potatoes and broccoli, tossed with coconut oil (I probably ate about half of a potato and half a head of broccoli)
  • half of a (fairly large) papaya

Does this sound like a blood sugar reaction? Maybe too many carbs for one meal? I estimate that I probably had around 30 grams of carbs or so for this meal and didn't have a lot of physical activity to offset it. Or does it sound more like a food sensitivity? 

Does anyone have any insight? I think my plan is to see if these symptoms show up again in the coming days and make note of what I ate. I know it's impossible for anyone to tell me for sure, but I just thought I'd throw this out here. Thanks!

• Moderators

Nothing jumps out at me, it is entirely possible that the timing was coincidental, or could even have been from what you ate earlier in the day, or the day before.

Or, you might be sensitive to coconut, papaya or potatoes. Your meal contained coconut milk, coconut flour and coconut oil - if you cooked with that earlier in the day too, it might have been too much for you. As you said, only way to tell is to remove it, add it back and see.

Archived