Lissa Kristine

Adding Fat to Sausage and Peppers

Even though I'm not quite ready for dinner (and I'm not even sure about what I'm going to eat), I decided to deal with some wilted greens by doing a mini meal prep:

Part 1: Bilinski's Italian Chicken Sausages, bell pepper, onion, rainbow chard stems, and halved grape tomatoes cooked in olive oil
Part 2: Sauteed kale, rainbow chard, and spinach (mostly spinach).

I have both in containers. One is going to be my dinner tomorrow night when I am at my babysitting job. I've included a little container of chili-infused olive oil to drizzle on my dinner, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tolerate using all of it (but I also don't want to dilute it with plain oil). I want some ideas for additional fat that I can add to the meal just to be sure I have enough. 

The sausage is pretty lean. If it was a fattier pork sausage, I wouldn't be so concerned.

(Side note: I don't currently have any avocados so adding half an avocado won't work). 

How about some ghee on those vegetables?  One time I didn't have any ghee made ahead, I simply cooked a couple of tablespoons of butter in a pan and, when it was well separated, poured it through the end of a teatowel (I didn't have any cheese cloth handy which is why I hadn't made ghee :) ) right over my veg - easy peasy if a bit messy.

I love lean sausage but have been buying pork sausages during this W30 - I'm with you, don't need to worry about added fat then.

1 minute ago, Lorna from Canada said:

How about some ghee on those vegetables?  One time I didn't have any ghee made ahead, I simply cooked a couple of tablespoons of butter in a pan and, when it was well separated, poured it through the end of a teatowel (I didn't have any cheese cloth handy which is why I hadn't made ghee :) ) right over my veg - easy peasy if a bit messy.

I love lean sausage but have been buying pork sausages during this W30 - I'm with you, don't need to worry about added fat then.

I guess I can add ghee AND olive oil to the meal... it just seems a little much to use both.

I can't find any compliant pork sausage around here so I'm pretty much limited to the chicken sausage. I prefer pork.

3 hours ago, Lissa Kristine said:

I guess I can add ghee AND olive oil to the meal... it just seems a little much to use both.

I can't find any compliant pork sausage around here so I'm pretty much limited to the chicken sausage. I prefer pork.

Mayo, olives, pesto, chimichurri, sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil, sunshine sauce, ranch dressing... :)