Reintroduction- so confused

RisRuss

As I understand it, I am supposed to reintroduce one food group at a time by eating it for one day, and then go back on the regular whole30 diet for two days before introducing another food. My questions are:

1. Once I reintroduce a food can I continue to eat it as I reintroduce others?

2. If I don’t have a reaction, can I reintroduce another food without waiting the 2 days?

3. Why isn’t there a reintroduction for food preservatives and sugar?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RisRuss said:

As I understand it, I am supposed to reintroduce one food group at a time by eating it for one day, and then go back on the regular whole30 diet for two days before introducing another food. My questions are:

1. Once I reintroduce a food can I continue to eat it as I reintroduce others?

2. If I don’t have a reaction, can I reintroduce another food without waiting the 2 days?

3. Why isn’t there a reintroduction for food preservatives and sugar?

1. No, each food is done in a vacuum of Whole30.  You want to control the circumstances around introducing foods.

2. You could if you were sure you werent having a reaction but sometimes things take a day or two to become noticible - especially if its a sleep or skin reaction.  If you have the time to do the reintro as written, it's recommended to wait the two days (or more) between.

3. Because sugar is not gut disruptive like the other foods.  Also, aside from eating straight spoonfuls of honey or sugar, which is not how people normally consume sugar in their regular lives, it would be pretty hard to do a 'sugar' intro day without any of the other food groups like grains.  Most people will do something like ketchup or sugar in their coffee on a day when they do another of the reintros and then just watch for sugar cravings and other reactions that could indicate how they personally react to sugar.  

I think you could do food preservatives as its own thing - I for one am insanely sensitive to carrageenan but the program was written to be as accessible as possible so doing an extended reintro with every food preservative we've called out would make the reintro onerous for a lot of people.  If you have the time and the desire, you definitely could and if you wanted to, the first couple things I"d check would be sulfites and carrageenan.

Archived