Q about upset tummy post Whole30

I finished my first Whole30 last week.

We had a big family celebration at the weekend and I decided I'd try a small slice of meringue (cream and blueberries on top of the meringue base). Oh boy did I I pay for it afterwards (with mad dashes to the loo, apologies for the TMI!) It actually took two days until my tummy felt ok again-every time I ate anything for the two days (and I mean W30 foods, not off-road stuff)-I had cramps and had to run to the toilet. Would this be a reaction to the cream or to the sugar do you think? I guess I should have tried just one or the other and not something which combined the two as it makes it harder to pinpoint the culprit though I'm leaning towards it being a lactose intolerance.

I suppose I'm wondering whether others have had similar issues when they first ate something non-Whole30 compliant after the 30 days?

I'm doing another Whole30 now as I had always planned to do and my tummy is a happy bunny again.

• Moderators

I had similar problems after eating a double scoop of chocolate mint ice cream after doing a Whole30 4-6 months. Our gut flora changes after a while and may not digest dairy as well as it did before. My problem passed in 24 hours. The reason I ate 2 scoops was that I was at a concert and hungry. Ice cream was the only thing in sight I wanted. I might have been okay with a couple bites, but 2 scoops was too much.

Eating sugar might arouse cravings, but it is not likely to cause GI distress.

Thanks Tom and Anna.

If I'm dairy intolerant, would those symptoms always have shown up or could it be that I have been eating dairy for years without GI symptoms I described, but still have been intolerant to a degree? I often found that I had a tight uncomfortable feeling in my tummy (pre-Whole30) -would that have been linked to dairy intolerance I wonder?

I don´t know about your previous diet but I think it´s possible that the symptoms could have been masked. Sometimes you don´t know what´s not good for you until you stop eating it. That uncomfortable feeling could definatley have hade something to do with the dairy. Before I realised I was intolerant I had various symptoms but the main one that disapeared when I stopped dairy was light nausea for no apparent reason.

Archived