Barcode scanner... approved?

skinsfan

I found a whole30 app called 30 Whole Days that looks legit but I wanted to confirm here.  Anyone else using it?

Has a welcome screen and a menu that allows bar code scanning which I find extremely convenient, just wanted to make sure it's compliant. 

• Moderators

There are no Whole30 apps endorsed by the Whole30 and barcode scanner apps have got to be the worst of the worst... 

You're better off becoming a barcode scanner yourself ;)  Seriously tho, it's easier to learn how to read the label for non compliant ingredients that it is to pull your phone out everytime you want to buy something.  The thing about apps and the reason we don't have one is: 'who would keep that database updated?'.  Say a company puts sulfites in something that 3 months ago they ddin't have sulfites in?  Or in your region of the country there's no soy in the tuna but in my area there is... 

We have a few pdf's that you can keep as photos on your phone that might help more than the app.  One is the sneaky sugars pdf and the other one is the common additives pdf.  They are both linked in my signature below and cover pretty much anything you're going to find on a label in the store.

As a funny aside, apparently Alexa has a 'whole30' app thingy now... Melissa Urban tried it out and it told her that Ground Beef and Cauliflower were not compliant so take that for what it's worth ;) 

I've heard lots of dodgy things about Whole 30 barcode scanners, and you only need to browse Insta or Pintrest to see the huge numbers of non-compliant things which people label Whole 30.

I'm with @SugarcubeOD - learning to read labels is the key to success! If you're not sure about something, you can pull out your phone then and search for it (you'll find almost everything under the sun has been queried on these forums). That way, you learn and know for next time rather than just relying on a scanner to tell you yes or no. 

Archived