Whole60 to the end of Lent - Feb 18 thru Apr 18

pearlgirl2017

Hello and welcome.  I didn't finish my last attempt at a Whole30.  I made it to day 26 then an emergency out of town blew it for me.  I had no time to plan for it, and being a southern family, every food group we are supposed to avoid was the only food offered.  I think I had everything but corn on that trip.  I could tell my sugar dragon was not in the least bit under control. 

So this time I will plan on staying on the program for a full 60 days.  Starting on February 18th will take us to the last day of Lenten on April 18th, with Easter on April 21st.  

I am an over 50 years old southern lady.  I live with a man who is a very picky eater (and not interested in giving up his sodas).  I am not interested in training for a marathon run.  I do try to make it to Planet Fitness 3-4 days a week.  I love the 30 minute circuit, the rowing machines and the step climber.

I would love to have some company during this entire journey, but feel free to jump in at whatever stage you are on.  If you are new to the forums, remember to click the button at the bottom of your reply that  says "notify me of replies" the first time you write something. 

Thank you for joining me.

I have committed to 60 days for two reasons.  1) During and after the family gathering (Day 27 of my last attempt) I went into a binge mode.  That showed me that I was nowhere near "food freedom".  And 2) I usually give up something like sugar, ice cream or red meat during the Lenten season.  But I didn't want to wait until March 6 to start this journey over.

Only 5 more days until I start my Whole60.  I've already got the weeks meals planned in a way that should give me leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day. And maybe longer.  I really don't like to be prepping/cooking all during the weekend if the weather is good outside. So making extra of everything will be how it's done this go-round.  I know I will have to do some work over the weekend to keep on track, but not ALL DAY!  Boil some eggs...roast a spaghetti squash...make up some kind of sauce (probably Sunshine Sauce)...that shouldn't take too long...

HI from another southern lady over 50 - from GA and am 55.  I am considering joining you - but only for 30 days.  I may extend to 60 days.  If you want company here for 30 days, I'll be glad to join in here.  I have never completed a whole30.  In my 1st and only attempt, I made it 15 days, I think.  Intending to make it the 30 days this time.

I have been unable to reduce/eliminate my sugar and processed carb intake as I need to.  I seem to have lost my mental edge and I need to find it again.  Hoping this will get me back to who I want to be - mentally and physically. 

I will prep my meal plans and get review the book and rules.  Glad to join you.

Deb

14 hours ago, ChiggerCane said:

Glad to join you.

Deb

Welcome Deb.  I will be 55 years young next month.  The first Non-Scale-Victory I noticed last time was the lack of pain in my knees when going up and down the stairs.  I believe it is the dairy that was causing the bloating and the wheat that was causing the more severe hot flashes.  Looking forward to lessening both those symptoms again.  

My man is a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy that can't tolerate food that's too spicy.  My dinners are usually something simple and quick during the week.  Pork chops or tenderloin, fish, ground beef...stuff like that.  I can usually try something a little different on the weekends.  Monday night I plan on trying a new item, https://nomnompaleo.com/post/48192992479/asian-chicken-thighs over a bag of stir-fried broccoli slaw.  Only one new dish a week is about all my man can handle.

Browsing through WellFed and WHole30Cookbook doing some prep work.  I have such exciting weekend nights!  Actually, feeling a bit of an adrenaline rush.  My younger son, who is in town for the weekend from college, called about an hour ago - "Mom, can you come get me?  Someone just ran into me."  Turns out it's a fairly minor fender bender, broken headlight - guy merged into him.  Glad everyone is ok and he's been through a wreck without injury and now knows what to do.  Trying to get over the "my baby's been in a accident" fear.  So - trying to use my energy to get ahead for the week.

Pearlgirl, I have to admit I had to search to find out Lent starts March 6.  When I read your first post, my immediate reaction was "Lent, already?"  Starting the 18th should get me on solid ground so I can have an accident free Lent.  And yes - I should read the fine print - you did say to the end of Lent. 

I looked up the recipe you list.  Sounds good.  My husband sounds similar to yours.  WE tend to eat the same things over and over again.

Glad your son is Okay. My adrenaline rushes are usually good for cleaning house, not so much for chopping vegetables. 

Had a memorial for two of my man's aunts yesterday so didn't get the groceries yet. Will be doing that today.  Hope we both get off to a great start Monday morning!

Off to a pretty good start this week. I don't cook chicken very often, think the commercially raised chicken is flavorless. I made the Asian Chicken Thighs and found the marinade was very good but did not seem to penetrate through the whole thigh. So for me it is still boring chicken.  I'm going to chop up what's left and put it in a salad where I can smother it in a dressing. 

IMG_0593.JPG

Breakfast this morning was a frittata with leftover roasted broccoli and compliant bacon. I added 1/2 tsp. of curry powder and a splash of coconut aminos to three eggs. I couldn't tell anything about the curry powder, may add more next time.

For lunch,  I pulled some chocolate chili to thaw from the freezer yesterday.  Served it over a cup of roasted spaghetti squash.

Tonight will probably revolve around the leftover Asian Chicken Thighs.

IMG_0594.JPG

Food looks wonderful -and on a beautiful plate!  I have been fairly basic the last 3 days.  Steel head trout, simply baked, has featured in my meals; also my basic cabbage soup with eggs.  I have turkey tenderloins in the oven now which will get me through the next few days.  Heading to the store later to stock up on more veggies.  So far going ok.

They really are pretty.  We were looking thru a Home Depot catalog one weekend last year and I said "Oh how pretty".  Next week they were on the table.  He sometimes surprises me with stuff like that.  I use the salad plate most of the time for my meals.

I woke up 35 minutes before the alarm went off this morning, so rather than go back to sleep I got up and went to the gym for the 30 minute circuit.  Made a dash into the grocery store across the street for cherry tomatoes and green onions. Got home and cooked breakfast. Today it was a bag of frozen Cascadian Farms Fire Roasted Sweet Potatoes (gives me three servings per bag), 1 Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage link, a handful of baby spinach (slightly wilted in coconut oil) with an extra drizzle of coconut oil, and a hard boiled egg. 

IMG_0595.JPG

Finally finished the last of the Asian Chicken Thighs. Leftovers were great to have available all week, but I just wish I had liked them better. My man won't eat chicken anyway unless it's deep fried. So back to good ole pork chops, tenderloin and salmon for next week. 

Confession - I will be starting Day 1 again tomorrow.  I am hoping by the end of Lent, I will have 30 continuous days. :P

Dinner was derailed by an errand we had to do.  Ended up at a restaurant.  We don't eat out that often, thank goodness.

Working on my plans for the week ahead.  A couple events for lunch I need to consider and plan out.  One thing I remember from my 1st Whole30 was the vividness of dreams and how deeply I began to sleep.  I had one night similar to that this past week.  I wonder why this happens?

Love the pictures you are posting.  Hope you are doing better than I am.

Some days are better than others. I just keep plunging along, telling myself that I am not perfect and there is no such thing as a perfect whole30. I have a hard time remembering to add a fat. And eating on a schedule is difficult.  Some days I only get two meals in.  I'm eating so much at breakfast that I don't want lunch until about 3 o'clock, then dinner is in just a few hours...

Well today's lunch was certainly underwhelming.  I forgot to take the chocolate chili and spaghetti squash out of the freezer at work yesterday.  All that was in the fridge was 2 boiled eggs, a container of Pearl to-go black olives, and a Dole grapefruit cup.  So I ate all of that, then went to pull out the chili for tomorrow and you won't believe it.  I also had two boxes of Wal-Mart's Great Value Chicken bowls in there.  I bought them for emergencies such as this and still forgot about them.  duhhh

Going strong?  Not so much.  Still making the same mistakes I always make.  Skipping breakfast some days, not adding a fat to my meal...

Every day is a new day to try to get it right.  I've found that it is much easier to keep going after my mistakes, rather than saying I will start over. 

It's hard to start, harder to restart. 

I have eaten out more this week than the last 6 months!  I have made the best choices I could, but think I am experiencing sodium overload.  Today, everything has been home cooked.  Much better.  Tonight, I made pecan crusted trout and boiled, then roasted brussel sprouts.  This week, I will focus on eating at home.

Archived