My biggest challenge.. baby food..

shamir

Hey everyone!

I'm about to start my first round on Saturday & I'm excited, however.. I have a 14 month old baby who is eating 3 meals and snacks and every time I make him a meal I will no doubt have a bite or two of whatever he is having. (Baby is obviously not going to be doing Whole 30..) If I scoop out some yogurt.. I'll have a spoon before I put it in the sink, if he chucks a hunk of cheese.. I'll eat it, if I'm making him porridge or rice or pasta.. I'll test the heat while cooking.. 

...so basically.. it's second nature for me to eat some of his food..all day. I don't want to fail on day 1 at breakfast time.. or day 7 or day 28 for that matter. 

Has anyone got any tips or mantras I could remind myself whilst I am feeding him? 

Thanks in advance! :)

Not to be willfully obtuse, but is there any reason that the baby couldn't also eat mostly Whole30? 

Other than that, I'd put up some signs in the kitchen that are like "don't lick the spoon" or "don't eat cheese that's been thrown at me". 

You can test the temperature of foods on the back of your hand. It's much more sensitive than the palm.

Thanks Laura! To be honest.. I hadn't really thought of him doing Whole 30.. but he will no doubt be eating most of what we eat most of the day anyway. Except probably some yogurt, his bedtime milk etc. 

Thanks for the tips! I will stick some signs up around to remind me not to eat the cheese :P

Weird suggestion, while making his food, stick a spoon, a toothpick, a pen, something in your mouth. Just something that keeps your mouth occupied, so if you wanted to stick some of his food in your mouth you'd have to think about ti and it can't be a reflex. Keep it in your mouth until the food in in front of baby, or bowl is in the sink. 

13 hours ago, NJdieter said:

Babies need a varied diet, and dairy and grains are very important for their development. 

@NJdieter Do you have some research on that last part? Everyone needs a varied diet, but I'd hesitate to say dairy and grains are necessary. That sounds like talk from lobbyists trying to sell food products to parents. Pancreatic amylase, which is what you really need to digest grains, doesn't start being produced until all 4 molars are in. And not every child can digest dairy, so it can't be that crucial to growth. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

So this is a little tough love... you simply need to NOT eat the food you are feeding him.  Making sure your meal times and his meal times are separate might help.  When he eats, you just don't :)  As the mom of a 2 year old, I can tell you that it IS possible to not eat your child's food if you don't want to.  But, him eating only w30 food would also be totally fine.  Despite a random internet stranger telling your son needs dairy and grains.  There are truly no nutrients in dairy and grains that can ONLY be obtained from dairy or grains.  

Do you have a dog?  Dogs are good at eating baby leftovers.  

Archived