Sign in to follow this  
Lauraco

How important is the timing of when you eat?

I am having a hard time having a "real" lunch.  I'm eating the right things, but it is usually a little bit of leftovers or some nuts and fruit.  Does that impact the overall effectiveness of the program because it is more like snacking?  

Thank you!

Laura

This is the difference between the rules and the recommendations. If you eat ONLY whole 30 approved foods and follow the other rules, you will have done a whole 30. But, if you also follow the recommendations, including:

• following the meal template
  • eating within an hour of rising
  • eating enough that you can go 4 to 5 hours without eating again
  • no snacking between meals unless you are genuinely hungry (but then start beefing up your actual meals so you can get through without snacks)

That is when you will get the best results. 

So, I'd encourage you to try following the meal template and the other recommendations and see for yourself what results that creates for you. 

So, just having some nuts and fruit is a bad plan. It's a hit of sugar along with often tougher to digest fats. Also, zero protein. 

Could part of the issue just be that you're not prepping an actual template meal for lunch and when you get to lunch time, there's nothing to eat ready? Make the meals, have them ready to go (hard boiled eggs, crudite, and compliant dip of some kind are one of the fastest meals out there assuming you've got the eggs done in the fridge). 

The effectiveness of the program is impacted when you don't eat enough. Having a snack instead of lunch is effectively cutting your meals by a third and it'll catch up to you. 

Thanks, @Christie.  I followed the timing plan yesterday, and I think I'm on track with it now.  I can see why it is good to put it in place to control the snacking habit.  And I need that!  I haven't been able to discipline myself in the food/drink area for years, the longest I've been on a "diet" would be about a week, and then I would cave.  For some reason I decided to do this - for myself and my health and pain as much as weight - and I have been able to stick to it.  I jumped right in without much planning besides looking at what you could/couldn't eat, making a grocery list, getting the stuff and sticking to it.  I had to take advantage of the self-discipline that came knocking at my door and run with it right away!  Now I am backing up and reading, what I assume, most people read before starting.  So thank you for the additional recommendation.  I welcome any and all recommendations.  I work full time and I keep sneaking time in to read about Whole30 and find recipes - eek :)

I am looking at the meal planning guide, and it recommends eating 1-2 open handfuls of coconut or coconut flakes and 1-2 hopen heaping handfuls of olives every day.  Is that for real?

43 minutes ago, Lauraco said:

I am looking at the meal planning guide, and it recommends eating 1-2 open handfuls of coconut or coconut flakes and 1-2 hopen heaping handfuls of olives every day.  Is that for real?

At each meal, have one or two of the fat servings listed on the template, so yes, you could have 1-2 handfuls of each of those each day if you want as your fat servings. 

Fat helps keep you satisfied. It's how you go 4-5 hours between meals without snacking.