Explaining Whole30 to kids

Lissa Kristine

In both Food Freedom Forever and It Starts with Food, there is talk about how to explain your reset/Whole30 to other people. This is usually in reference to co-workers, friends, or a significant other.

Today, I had a babysitting job that required me to take the kids out to eat. While we usually do Applebee's, I was a little uncertain about them not listening to my special requests about butter and seasonings (and I didn't want to deal with a wait since it is a school night). So, I made the decision that we would go to Chipotle instead. I ordered a bowl with double carnitas, guac, fresh salsa, salsa verde, fajita veggies, and lettuce. It was good, but I did miss my barbacoa. [Anyone up for petitioning they stop using rice bran oil in all of their meats?]

The girls did ask a little about why we weren't going to Applebee's and I wasn't quite sure how to explain it. Weight loss is one of my hopes for the Whole30, but that's not something I want to discuss with girls ages 11, 9, and 6. I also don't want to just say I want to be "healthier" because I don't want to 1.) make them have any guilt about having cheese or black beans in their tacos or 2.) look like a hypocrite when I bring foods back into my diet in March.

I did manage to explain that one of my goals was to stop eating added sugar because it can help my body not want sugar as much so choosing healthier foods is easier and that I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't eat dairy, grains, beans, or sugar for a month. 

I just wanted to know if there was any other feedback  for dealing with explaining Whole30 to kids.

I would think maybe that you are trying to find out what is healthier for your body since we are all different. this would also cover when you reintroduce. Kids love experiments so maybe seeing it as a type of experiment that will help you figure out what works for you.

Since another significant component of Whole30 is discovering any potential food intolerances, you could also frame it that you think there may be some foods that upset your stomach and you're not eating some foods for 30 days to help you figure it out. 

That frames it as something that has absolutely nothing at all to do with weight or how your body looks, but focuses on how your body *feels*. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I think a good strategy is always about foods that make you feel good and let you do the things you enjoy doing.  We have a 2 year old so he isn't asking yet why we eat the foods we do but we already talk to him about eating food for energy to play and foods that make your belly feel good.  For older kids I think it is important to spin the positive - so more about the foods you are including (vs excluding).  I'm eating meats and vegetables to help me get stronger.  I'm eating fruits and vegetables to get important vitamins and minerals... things like that.  

Archived