Success while snacking?? Migraines too.

HealthySnacker

Hi there everyone, 

I'm writing to ask about your experiences with Whole30 if you didn't stick to big meals (i.e., following all the rules but not all the recommendations). 

I'm at the end of day 3, right now,  and I feel like I can manage Whole30 as long as I can graze throughout the day and eat fruit as much as I like (probably five+ servings a day).

Questions:  have you done Whole30 this way? And if so, how did you feel about your overall results?

I'm not capable of eating big meals (I get full too soon- I'm fairly petite) but I really don't get the concept of satiety that lasts for hours.   I get full,  then hungry rather quickly.

A bit about me:  My regular diet is pretty typical for Southern California: mostly vegetarian with some chicken and fish.  I do eat a lot of carbs, but don't drink alcohol, I avoid fried foods, msg, processed foods & snacks.

I'm saying this to give you an idea of which things are and are not big sacrifices for me. I'd love to hear from other people who started in a similar position to me.

I understand that Whole30's aim is to help people change their hormones in a way that would give them more of a sense of fullness. 

I'm open to the idea that I may be able to eat larger meals with bigger gaps as the month goes on... but right now that sacrifice is too great ob tip of everything else.

I had a migraine in each of these first three days (  for which I took triptan  medicine) so struggle of this experience has been compounded.

Thanks for reading.   

I look forward to hearing from you!

I'm on day 30 of my 2nd whole30. The first time around, I started out very similar to you, but towards the end I found the lack of grazing very liberating. This time around, I've really focused on not snacking. I've also cut out almost all fruit because I felt like I was using it to feed my sugar dragon, and I've felt it really has helped a lot with my sugar cravings.

Like you, I have a difficult time eating a lot at meals--especially when it's broccoli casserole for breakfast. What I do find though, is that my blood sugar has been stable enough that even if I'm hungry, I'm able to go further between meals that I was before. If I do need a snack, I stick to the meal template and make sure I have protein, veggies, and fat in my snack, but just use a smaller plate. You do what you feel like you need to do, especially during the first week, but I'd think about eating more of a mini meal instead of fruit once you start adjusting.

As far as headaches go, I had one last for 4 days during my first week, and I had to go to the ER. Then, I didn't have another for 2 weeks, but it was minor. Typically I have at least one migraine a week so this was pretty good. This weekend I've had another small one, but it's also the start of my period, so expected.

@HealthySnacker I snacked the first week too - was hungry much of the time and fruit with a few nuts was a handy snack. By the end, I found it hard to eat the 3 compliant meals because I was so seldom hungry. I'm 14 days post-W30 and still 95% compliant and I still find myself not very hungry most of the time. (it's very, very strange for me). 

During my W30, I did, (and still do), eat more than the recommended 2 servings of fruit - likely 4 servings a day. I love fruit. I also love vegetables so fruit does not push veggies off my plate. Fruit does not feed my sugar dragon - I have no urge for sweet things. I haven't had any cravings for sugar, baked goods, candy etc whatsoever since January 1 and I don't miss it. So, because of that, I'm not worried about my fruit intake. I don't think the 2 etra pieces of fruit have had any impact on my results which were amazing.

The first week is really hard. It does get better! I felt terrible for 24 days of my W30 and now, I've never felt better in my life. Hang in there, strive for compliance and cut yourself some slack - this does get easier!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have had migraines all my life. My first Whole 30 revealed triggers in dairy and gluten. Avoiding these for 4 years now has helped immensely. And once in awhile like for my birthday, I will have a gf cupcake with buttercream frosting. Usually that is fine - because it is seldom. Second Whole 30 - I got bad migraine day 16 & 17. Day 16 I had 3 cutie mandarins - citrus is also a trigger. This does help. Hang in there. 

Archived