Advanced sensorimotor polyneuropathy

Texaswreck

I am a 71 year old man working on a mystery. Something is causing inflammation in my body that is affecting my nerve function. My diagnosis is above- but over 100 things can be causing it. My daughter has for years told me that it seems to be food related so I agreed to Whole30 to see. I am on day 13 and the biggest result so far is no more snack cravings. I have hypothyroidism so I exercise a lot to get metabolism cranked up. I have 50 pounds of extra weight from the hypothyroidism onset 8 years ago so that is another consideration that I plan to lose weight in 2019. 

My wife has done an awesome job of getting this going and I enjoy her full support. So far so good!

Dear Texaswreck,

It's great that you have already done Whole30 for 13 days, and to have overcome your snack cravings is incredible!  What were your biggest snack cravings prior to starting the program?  Do you attribute eliminating the snack cravings to eating and getting full on the W30 compliant foods?  Did your daughter think that any specific food was contributing to your hypothyroidism?  It's really great that you can exercise a lot.  

I am doing W30 for pain due to osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and surgery scaring, hoping the anti-inflammatory aspects of W30 will help.  I hope it works for you too!

Good luck to you, and bless your wife for being your partner in this!  

I always crave salt over sugar- I never met a chip I didn’t like. I had spinal stenosis surgery and L3-4-5 fusion. It stopped back stabbing pain and sciatica. Now need to stop the neuropathy.

My daughter believes it is celiac caused by wheat so we shall see. I listen to her because she is very good savvy and healthy. I think the protein consUmption and lack of sugar has killed the blood sugar surges and falls.

I have to exercise a lot in order to complete my surgery recovery- last X-ray next month! Some days are better than others of course. Energy level is all over the place high and low.

Yes I think the natural foods compliant in Whole30 are more filling for sure. And of course my wife is keeping it interesting by trying new meals.

Day 14 and still compliant.

Cheers!!

• 2 weeks later...

I always crave salt over sugar- I never met a chip I didn’t like. I had spinal stenosis surgery and L3-4-5 fusion. It stopped back stabbing pain and sciatica. Now need to stop the neuropathy.

My daughter believes it is celiac caused by wheat so we shall see. I listen to her because she is very good savvy and healthy. I think the protein consUmption and lack of sugar has killed the blood sugar surges and falls.

I have to exercise a lot in order to complete my surgery recovery- last X-ray next month! Some days are better than others of course. Energy level is all over the place high and low.

Yes I think the natural foods compliant in Whole30 are more filling for sure. And of course my wife is keeping it interesting by trying new meals.

Day 14 and still compliant.

Cheers!!

Update- I am at day 24- I feel amazing and have been able to stay compliant by taking food with me on my social and business meetings. Boys night out proved to be a challenge at a restaurant but I was able to get a salad that worked. I have always loved raw vegetables so I eat salad dry normally anyway. 

I am going to reach my 30 days next week and am open to any tips for adding back foods. I am pretty much done with bread, crackers, candy, sugar, etc so what I’m going to be fighting is my chip craving!! Suggestions??

• Moderators

@Texaswreck we really recommend doing reintroductions as outlined here:  https://whole30.com/step-two-finished. The only time we suggest not reintroducing a particular thing is if you know you react badly to it, or if you know absolutely that you will never, ever eat that food again for the rest of your life. 

Have you tried making your own chips?  Sweet potatoes, golden potatoes and zucchini sliced thin and fried in compliant oil (coconut oil is good for sweet potatoes), jicama cut into thin sticks are good in salads, there may be other ways of cooking them to make them crispy.  I'm trying to figure out how to make sprilized sweet potato fries that are crispy, but haven't had luck yet.  My spiralizer is a great tool.  I have also read that people like the air fryer to make crisp vegetables.  

I'm glad you're doing well on Whole30, and that you feel better!  My 36 year old daughter has had Celiac Disease for years and it is no picnic!

I just had dinner completing Day 28. It was a wonderful compliant stir fry! I have 2 MORE DAYS to go. I have an X-ray on my fused back tomorrow marking 1 year. Tuesday I start my second month with my trainer who is teaching me to train and walk with neuropathy by building muscle and practicing balance exercises. WEDNESDAY I will weigh in for my 30 day status. I feel great right now so not going to do anything stupid. I will, however, take my wife out to a nice restaurant for dinner so she can eat a meal she did not have to cook.

Thanks and good luck everyone. I’m very pleased with Whole30.

Texaswreck

Archived