Completed 40 days of Whole30, no intention to stop — any contraindications.

Tavo

Well I think I completed the past 40 Day of Whole30 without any issues. I feel great, I believe I lost some weight, since I’m not supposed to weigh or measure myself, I can not attest to it, but my clothes fit looser, and my belly has shrunk. 

The one thing I wish there was (maybe there is and I don’t know), is a repository of Whole30 foods, ie brands of Deli meats, Mayo’s, snacks, etc etc. 

Well my main question is: how long can I be on the Whole30 program? 

• Moderators

You could keep eating this way forever if you want. We really, really recommend doing reintroductions, not because you need the foods you've left out, but because at some point, you may be in a situation where you need or want to have them, and knowing how you react to them can help you determine whether they're really worth having or not.

You can read more about what to do now that you've finished your whole30 here:  https://whole30.com/finished/

I just hit day 35 which was supposed to be the end of it, but I don't want to reintro most things right now. I'm going to, slowly, because I don't want to find out by surprise that I have a reaction, or hit an event where I'm reintroing more than one at a time, but right now I'm super happy how I am.

So my plan is to do the slow reintro - this weekend I have a BBQ (so will be day 40) where I'll relax on the added sugar (marinades and dressings) and have a few low sugar alcoholic ciders, but avoid legumes, grains and dairy. I'll go back to 100% compliant until I feel like reintro-ing the next group. 

I think my reintro is going to be 1 thing for one day on the weekend then the weekdays will be compliant, rather than the 1 day into and 2 days off. 

Once reintro'd I don't plan to adopt any of the currently excluded foods back into my day-to-day, but I will be armed with the knowledge of what I actively should be avoiding, and just what I'm trying to minimise.

Schrod just hit it on the head -- it's great to feel great while foods are left out, but there may eventually come a time when it'll be good to know what to expect if something DOES slip past (whether by accident or because you've decided it's worth it, which can't even be judged if you've got no idea how a thing affects you). Slow and steady wins the race in my book, and given how I've reacted to a few things, I'm glad I had already decided that the slow reintro was my plan... because I would've had to slow down, either way :)  I also don't plan to bring most of the reintroduced foods back, even if I have no noticeable reaction, but I do want that knowledge so I can make the best possible health choices as my diet (read: food I eat) evolves - or doesn't - in the next few months.

Archived