Apple cider in Fast and Easy recipe

Lee Shee

:)Hi, I have a question, possibly a silly one! I'm looking at a couple of recipes in the Fast and Easy cookbook that call for apple cider - does that mean apple cider vinegar? Or apple cider the beverage?! (Page 177 - Carrot and Parsnip soup). Thanks! Lee from South Australia 

• Moderators

In this recipe apple cider makes the most sense. In the US, apple cider is basically apple juice, a non-alcoholic beverage, as opposed to what we would call hard cider, which would be the alcoholic version.

Apple cider vinegar doesn't seem right in this case because it calls for a whole cup of it, and that would be an awful lot of vinegar to add to a soup.

The difference between apple cider and apple juice varies because there's no legal definition to determine which one should be on a label. BUT... in general, apple cider still has pulp and needs refrigeration or it will spoil, whereas apple juice has been filtered to remove pulp (and likely pasteurized as well) and is often found vacuum-sealed on shelves with a "refrigerate after opening" note on the label. As far as using them in cooking, they should be interchangeable, and you could even juice your own apples if you've got an abundance and didn't want to buy the cider/juice.

Brilliant! Thank you for the clarification!! If you asked someone for an apple cider in Australia, they'd give you a sweet, alcoholic, apple flavoured, beverage! Apple juice makes much more sense! Being a novice cook, I would have put a cup of vinegar in and not thought twice about it!!! :blink::D Thanks for saving my soup! :)

12 minutes ago, Lee Shee said:

Brilliant! Thank you for the clarification!! If you asked someone for an apple cider in Australia, they'd give you a sweet, alcoholic, apple flavoured, beverage! Apple juice makes much more sense! Being a novice cook, I would have put a cup of vinegar in and not thought twice about it!!! :blink::D Thanks for saving my soup! :)

We do have Bundaberg apple cider, but I believe it's chock full of addedsugar :) 

Archived