Jicama "porridge"?

StuffIMakeMyHusband

I'm wondering if this is considered SWYPO. I know that the general guideline is that it is okay when you are swapping something unhealthy for something healthy, like cauliflower "rice" or meatza or a portobello "bun". So I am hoping this falls in that category.

I take a half pound (!!) of jicama, "rice" it in the food processor, and cook it in water with a splash of coconut milk and a small amount (1 oz) of ground nuts or seeds. Then when it's cooked and still hot I beat in two eggs. I also add a very small amount of grated Granny Smith apple (a fourth of an apple) and cinnamon. So it fits the ISWF meal planning template precisely -- plateful o' veggies from the jicama, two palm-sized protein servings from the eggs, some healthy fat from the coconut milk and nuts, bit of fruit. Is this acceptable for W30?

It sounds great to me (although I'm just a newbie). It doesn't sound like SWYPO unless you used to eat porridge all the time and you're making these to fill that gap.

Also, if approved, I'd love the recipe! I'm always on the lookout for breakfast alternatives to frittatas,lol.

It sounds great to me (although I'm just a newbie). It doesn't sound like SWYPO unless you used to eat porridge all the time and you're making these to fill that gap.

Also, if approved, I'd love the recipe! I'm always on the lookout for breakfast alternatives to frittatas,lol.

I'll post it on my site (http://www.stuffimakemyhusband.com ) early next week along with photos. I'm on my third iteration...still haven't gotten it quite right, heh. I will post it up when it's perfected :)

I'll post it on my site (http://www.stuffimakemyhusband.com ) early next week along with photos. I'm on my third iteration...still haven't gotten it quite right, heh. I will post it up when it's perfected :)

Yay! I just checked out your blog and saw it! I've already planned out my Whole30 breakfasts, but I'm gonna eventually make some time to try this. I'm always looking for creative things like this to do with my slow-cooker! :D

Sounds good, but you'll want some more protein on the side. For eggs, we usually recommend as many as you can hold in one hand. For my tiny hands, that's three. Otherwise, sounds like something I might like to try :0)

ETA: I might add another type of veg, as well, for nutrition and variety. Jicama is a good starchy, but I'd love to see something brightly colored (and green...?) on your plate as well.

ETA: I might add another type of veg, as well, for nutrition and variety. Jicama is a good starchy, but I'd love to see something brightly colored (and green...?) on your plate as well.

What? Jicama is starchy? It's so crunchy and almost juicy that I never considered that it could be a starch. It does look like starchy things before peeling it but the texture and mouthfeel doesn't seems starchy at all to me.

Live and learn!

Sounds good, but you'll want some more protein on the side. For eggs, we usually recommend as many as you can hold in one hand. For my tiny hands, that's three. Otherwise, sounds like something I might like to try :0)

thanks!! I will include a note with feedback in my blog post. just to be sure I understand correctly...if you had a big plate of kale with your breakfast 6 days out of the week, and jicama as your breakfast veg maybe once a week, I assume that's not a huge deal. but if this was a daily breakfast, you'd have to add some more nutrient dense veggies. do I have it?

thanks!! I will include a note with feedback in my blog post. just to be sure I understand correctly...if you had a big plate of kale with your breakfast 6 days out of the week, and jicama as your breakfast veg maybe once a week, I assume that's not a huge deal. but if this was a daily breakfast, you'd have to add some more nutrient dense veggies. do I have it?

I would try to vary your veggies more. Shoot for the colors of the rainbow. Different colors, textures and tastes will keep you healthy and interested. I have greens every day, but also tons of other vegetables.

Precisely. We like variety around here B)

Oh for sure! I vary them at lunch and dinner, though admittedly at breakfast it's almost always kale or kraut

Oh I get that. For no good reason at all, I almost always have eggs, spinach and mushrooms for breakfast. I think I just don't want to have to think that time of day. :)

Wow, this sounds delish! I've had jicima raw one day dipped in paleo mayo. I'd like to try it other ways. How creative. :) Thanks for posting this, and thank you to the advanced members for chiming in with some recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a related "porridge" question. I've been transitioning to paleo and am going to start my first W30 on February 4. As part of my transition, I switched my breakfast to two "porridges" on weekday mornings where I have to be up and out quick (I used to mostly have plain yogurt with jam or berries, though I would sometimes have oatmeal or toast).

1) Flax porridge: ~1/2 cup ground flax seed, ~1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, pour hot water over to mix it into porridge, then I add walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon

2) Banana coconut porridge: I melt some coconut butter in the microwave then mash it with a banana, add walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon. (http://www.agirlworthsaving.net/2012/07/bananas-and-cream-paleo-oatmeal.html)

I'm thinking based on this thread that this wouldn't be SWYPO, but I'm wondering about the protein levels. I also see that on the meal plan flax is a food to limit. I really love the banana one.

I'm going to try eggs, but if I can't make it work with my morning routine I'm wondering what options I have. I've read about eating leftover meats from the night before, so I'll try that too.

Well, there's some fat and some fruit, but those aren't supposed to be pushing protein and veggies off the plate and it does seem like they are. I'm not sure on flax seed. I thought it was out, I know flax seed oil is out. Mod?

If you don't have time to cook eggs each morning there are options. Leftovers from the night before are great. Also you can make ahead some eggs like this: http://swisspaleo.ch...-eggs-two-ways/ just warm up in the microwave or toaster oven. Or some deviled eggs with homemade mayo.... yum.

We never used to eat breakfast so now we get up about 40 min earlier each morning. It's become surprisingly easy.

Well the meal template http://whole9life.co...ng-Template.pdf is 1 - 2 palm size servings of protein, at least a thumb of fat and fill the plate with veg, so flax or banana porridge doesn't really fit that, I'm afraid. You're also right, flax is best limited.

I know getting your head round breakfast can be hard, it was the hardest thing for me when I started. However, if you search the forum there's a ton of suggestions in different threads. Personally I love leftovers from the night before, just dumped in the skillet and left to heat. I also like to keep hardboiled eggs, cooked chicken, frittata etc ready to grab and eat and I've discovered I love salad for breakfast and I can make it the night before :)

Thanks so much for your advice! Reading your reply I feel like I understand the meal template more and why my porridges don't fit. This past month while transitioning to healthier eating I have been putting a couple eggs on top of salad and have been loving that, so great idea to try weekdays. Thanks again!

One very wonderful thing I found for breakfast is sweet potatoes, shredded ahead of time, and then fried in any compliant oil into hash browns. While those are finishing up, I do a couple of eggs over easy in the same pan. Then mix them together and enjoy. Add another veggie and it fits the template perfectly.

• 1 year later...

I just came across this recipe for an "oatmeal" that uses acorn squash. No nuts or seeds. http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.com/2013/03/faux-tmeal-paleo-oatmeal.html?m=1

Given this thread about jicama porridge, am I correct in that this recipe is good for W30 as PART of a meal? It seems like this provides enough fat, so I'd add in another veggie and protein. 

Archived