Introduction Plus Biggest Challenge For Me

Czari

Good morning everyone!

This is my first post for the Whole30 program.  I have been researching the various Keto type diets for several months.  Although not following any particular one, I began adapting parts of them, beginning on January 1, primarily eliminating 95% of all processed foods which had pretty much been my entire diet as I live alone and have never enjoyed cooking.  That small change alone yielded a 5-lb weight loss.

I was getting confused with the differences between the Ketogenic, Paleo, and Primal diets while wrapping my mind around why a strictly vegetarian diet was taboo, why foods I'd thought were "bad" all my life, but ate them anyway (eg. foods like pepperoni that contain nitrates/nitrites) were staples for one of the diets and why oats weren't good for me on another.  While listening to one of my favorite podcasts, the host introduced a medical team that helped him with many illnesses with which he'd been living via diet.  During the podcast I heard the term "Whole30 eating," had no idea what that was and a search brought me here.

Besides a desire to be healthier overall, the current main motivator to change my diet habits is that my November 2018 blood test (non-fasting) indicated my cholesterol was 264, LDL direct 195, and triglycerides 139. (I don't see HDL on this report unless it's hiding under a different name - I plan to ask about that at my next visit.) I see this practitioner primarily to address my Hashimotos Hypothyroid as he's one of the very few doctors that has a clue about treating that properly plus he likes to treat illness at the source instead of just the symptoms and as naturally as possible.  I was astonished by these numbers as the fasting blood test administered by my family doctor the month before was very good, to the point of being told I had "...the best lipid panel he'd see all day."  I'm 65 and my blood tests (with the exception of the thyroid) have always been generally good.  What happened in only a month?  I did some research on fasting vs non-fasting levels and that can give different readings.  The kicker, however, was when the doctor's P.A. said if the cholesterol doesn't come down we'll have to put you on statins.  ABSOLUTELY NOT!!  My mother had a horrific reaction to statins after only a week so that's a definite no go.  I told the P.A. that my issues were largely lifestyle induced ie. poor food choices and no exercise and I would begin correcting that.  The P.A. told me to fast prior to the next blood test for a better comparison with the one from my family doctor.  That blood test was on February 5; I go for the results next week and hope that my moving toward healthier eating over the past month will show up in my labs, although one month is a very short time frame.

I am currently in the preparation process of beginning the Whole30 program.  Overall it looks like a very easy plan except for my one addiction - COKE!!  I did a search on this site before posting and saw a number of posts regarding Diet Coke but I drink the real deal...daily...many times a day...everyday.  I don't like coffee, thus Coke is the "cold caffeine" start to my day, and constant companion throughout.   When I asked my "thyroid Dr." about any ideas to help me wean off Coke he said I would need to go cold turkey.

Sooooooooo...can anyone out there relate as well as have any suggestions on going off Coke cold turkey (as in something allowed on the program that will help)?  I am taking this plan seriously and will definitely go cold turkey; I'm getting anxious just thinking about it. 

It's great to be here and I'm looking forward to the journey and better health!

Czari

Hi there - former fully-loaded Coke fiend here... if you search, there definitely are some drinks that can be done (some give carbonation, some give caffeine, not sure if any give both)... and you can make your own using seltzer water and a splash of juice...

...BUT...

I would suggest going completely cold-turkey and without a crutch. The reason I say not to use a crutch is because you want to break the habit, not continue to feed the same habit using different fuel. Trust me, I seriously considered making pseudo-soda drinks for myself, but I'm so very glad that I didn't. (I even drank some honest-to-goodness "real" Coke the day after my Whole30 was completed, and it didn't taste good, wasn't satisfying at all. I can't imagine that result if I'd been drinking fizzy fruit-sweetened stuff throughout January.)

I know there's anxiety there, and I won't lie - this addiction is as serious as any other and will probably cause withdrawals, detox might be really tough... but getting through it and being free from that addiction is so very worth it. Just remember that it takes time, and it will take some work on your part, because breaking habits and addictions isn't a passive effort. :)

What I found helped a lot for me was drinking fruity tea (compliant tea bag + hot water). I did add a little bit of fruit juice to sweeten it for the first week or so, but eventually just stopped because at some point it started tasting fine without anything extra mixed in. This gave me a drink I could enjoy, warm or cold, without going for something that even remotely resembled my old nemesis. I wish you luck in finding a new favorite drink, too. :) 

Hi Jihanna!

Thank you so much for your response; I truly appreciate it!  Awhile back when I was loading a carton of my "fix" in my grocery basket, a store employee was working nearby and when he looked over at me I said, guiltily, "I really wish I could get off this stuff."  That prompted an amazing conversation with the employee on eating healthier.  He said to make "cola" without the additives mix maple syrup in seltzer water.  I never tried it; my rationale being that, depending on the brand of maple syrup, it's substituting one group of additives/sugar for another.  Maybe an organic maple syrup would work but sugar is out for the time being.

I agree that going cold turkey is best; just good to have that support (thank you again!).   Many years ago I ate a diet with all refined sugar cut out and did go cold turkey on Coke.  I was off of it for a year then flew somewhere and when the flight attendant asked if I'd like something to drink I thought, "The amount of Coke that small plastic cup contains isn't a lot" and WHAM!  I was back on it.  I read somewhere that the original Coca-Cola did have a small amount of either cocaine or something similar to it and it was advertised as a "pick me up" in ads from the 1940's.  At any rate, I've gone turkey before and can do it again and, really, I've been wanting to quit drinking this stuff as I know that much sugar is horrible for me so going through the Whole30 is a great time to do so and a great incentive.  (As a side note - I find it interesting that in Europe, and maybe other countries as well, soft drinks do not contain the high fructose corn syrup and use sugar instead.  Not sure how much better that it is but I spoke with someone in the military who had been stationed in Europe and said after drinking Coke over there, he didn't like the syrupy sweetness in our Coke.  Those countries also don't allow GMOs.)

I think I saw apple cider on the allowed list so may check that out.  Thank you for the tip re: teas - will definitely try that!

Apple cider would be allowed as a sweetener, but not as a drink in and of itself... the idea being that if you want fruit, just eat the fruit rather than drinking the juice (which removes the helpful fiber, etc.). You could use a splash of apple cider (and our mods do stress the "splash"!) in tea or water (flat or sparkling) to sweeten it.

Regarding Coke with "real" sugar -- that's carried in some stores (or was, not sure about now) with a green label. I tried it a while back, shortly after they started marketing it locally, and it was good but would still be way too sweet for me now. I also was taking my coffee with basically an entire teaspoon of sugar at the start of December... and now am just fine with it being black :D

Feel free to message me if you need support, commiseration, or tough love as you do this!

Juices are technically allowed but discouraged to drink all on its own. It's one of those rules versus recommendations things. You can complete a Whole30 while drinking juice (or compliant apple cider), but it is discouraged as it does not serve you well for some of the other goals of the program. 

See here under "Fruit Juice:" https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

You can also check out this article for more information on rules versus recommendations: https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

@Czari Ditto what @Jihanna said - cold turkey is the only way. You're going to feel like CRAP. Maybe for a long time too. I know my personal cold turkey experience (SUGAR and my nightly wine) on the W30 made me feel like the worst for 24 days! Headaches, malaise, no energy. CRAP CRAP CRAP. I'm 59 so, a lifetime of addicted behaviour isn't going to clear off in one day.

All I can say is, after doing a W37 and now on Day 15 of Reinto (95-100% compliant every day), I feel amazing. Really, really good.

SO - cold turkey. Do it. Suck it up. Accept that you're going to feel awful BUT trust that you're going to feel better. Coke is not worth your health.

We're all here for you as you tough your way through this. We've all been there.

9 hours ago, kirbz said:

Juices are technically allowed but discouraged to drink all on its own. It's one of those rules versus recommendations things. You can complete a Whole30 while drinking juice (or compliant apple cider), but it is discouraged as it does not serve you well for some of the other goals of the program.

So, obviously my brain saw the recommendations as mandatory, not optional :D 

@Czari Sorry for the misinformation of the "not allowed" versus the "not recommended", regarding drinking fruit juice :)

It's great to meet you all and loving the great support provided here.  :D

Re: Apple cider - I saw it on the Whole30 Shopping List under "Drinks."  I was thinking of the raw, unfiltered type, not the "apple juice" type.  The rules may be the same and I'll do some more research within the program on that.  I'm not a "juice person" so it's pretty much a moot point; I was doing some preparatory grocery shopping yesterday and looked at the drink category.  Apple cider was at the top of the list and my thoughts were more along the lines of - "I haven't had that for ages; it might taste good along the way."  I have used raw apple cider vinegar on my food for quite awhile so was delighted to see that on the list.

I like Jihanna's tea idea as I've wanted to add teas (especially soothing, organic types) to my diet.  "Coincidentally" I was patching a program last night on Netflix re: Paleo and that episode featured a woman in Australia who began a company called "Ovvio" with some amazing looking teas that are small pellets of the ingredients instead of ground tea.  I checked out her website and may order one of those.

@slc_melissa - Great points!  Putting some exercise in my lifestyle is part of my plan although, at 65 and not having done any exercise for years, not quite ready to tackle push-ups...lol.  I was quite athletic in my younger years (synchronized swimmer).  Going to check our local YMCA and see if they have any water-based exercise programs and/or the type of exercise programs for older people to get me started.  And of course, walking.  Reading is my passion!

@Lorna - Thank you for sharing your experience...it really helps to be able to connect with others who have gone through something similar.  The positive thing is that I'm retired so I don't have to be at work feeling like I've been run over by a train...lol!

I look forward to see you all as I move forward.  I'm thinking of March 1 as my starting date.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Czari said:

Re: Apple cider - I saw it on the Whole30 Shopping List under "Drinks."  I was thinking of the raw, unfiltered type, not the "apple juice" type.  The rules may be the same and I'll do some more research within the program on that. 

What shopping list were you looking at?  This is the Whole30 endorsed shopping list and drinks are not listed https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

The information you have is still not wrong - compliant juice is okay but not recommended for drinking... usually people use a splash to flavor water or seltzer or to cook with.  I just wanted to make sure that the list you're looking at is going to be giving you correct info because there are a LOT of 'resources' out there that call themselves 'whole30' and actually have non compliant things listed.

Ah ok, I see the difference -  the link I referenced is from one of the Whole30 books listed on this site.  Same info except the book version has two pages on the pdf so I can understand the confusion.  No idea why the lists would be different.  The copyright from your list is 2014 and the one from the link I referenced (book version) is 2015.  In addition to the "Drinks" category, the book version also includes "Herbs & Spices," and "Pantry."

Archived