Coffee Creamer?

brent83

My only issue with eliminating sugar from my diet is the little bit I usually have in my coffee. Does anyone have a good coffee creamer recipe? I'm thinking something to do with dates, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon. I might just throw some of those ingredients together and see what I come up with, but would be nice to have a really popular recipe I could go from.

ps - and yes, I do drink it black sometimes, but eventually I want to completely eliminate sugar (above and beyond the whole30), and it would be nice from time to time to have something to throw in my coffee :)

ps2 - I've tried cococnut coffee creamers and just don't care for the coconut flavor to them.

thanks for the help!

Hi Brent,

You could try almond milk. If you can't find almond milk in the store without junk in it, it's super easy to make on your own with a blender (google). Or, maybe give the coconut milk another try BUT, add in one beaten egg white, a tsp of vanilla and a dash of cinnamon. I'm struggling along with black coffee myself and using the coconut milk creamer as a special treat once in a while.

Hi Brent,

You could try almond milk. If you can't find almond milk in the store without junk in it, it's super easy to make on your own with a blender (google). Or, maybe give the coconut milk another try BUT, add in one beaten egg white, a tsp of vanilla and a dash of cinnamon. I'm struggling along with black coffee myself and using the coconut milk creamer as a special treat once in a while.

Yeah, I've made almond milk before, and probably will make it again. I might have to just experiment a little but it can get a little expensive when you aren't totally sure it will turn out. I might try some date paste and it looks like amazon carries date syrup (organic dates is only ingredient). If I could somehow replicate a vanilla latte somehow, I would be in heaven. My mom refuses to give them up, even though she needs to for her health so I'm determined to find a substitute that she can use w/o dairy, sugar and the usual suspects :)

Just be careful with the vanilla. If it has alcohol in it ( and I have not seen one that does not) it is not W30 compliant. After 20 days of putting coconut milk in my coffee during my last W4, i just started drinking it black. And still do. Tastes great.

Till Then Whip the coconut milk in a bullet with your coffee. Then microwave it for 30 seconds.

This creamer is AWESOME, FANTASTIC, and is saving my life on Whole30. I am addicted to French Vanilla Coffee Creamer, and so the first couple of days I thought I would lose my mind. However, this recipe is easy, yummy and frothy - so it will definitely help your morning coffee.

http://followingmynose.com/2010/10/a-primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer/

The melted coconut oil makes a real difference, so it is worth tracking it down and using it in this recipe.

Enjoy!

I think some consider organic pastured heavy cream ok for a paleo diet, because it has a high fat content and not much sugar (lactose). But not ok with W30 because any amount of sugar is out.

Ahhh bummer! But just so I understand, trying to wrap my head around all of this. Page 138 of my book, under "the exceptions", it's says " we'll talk about heavy whipping cream in the 'more healthy section' ....we encourage eating all by itself in the form of butter or heavy cream". No sugar in the ingredients or nutrition label. So I'm guessing in the book, the are saying that heavy cream is okay post whole30? If that's the case, why is ghee ok, but not heavy whipping cream? Not playing devils advocate haha just genuinely need to learn! :) I love coconut so I'll gladly switch to the whipped coconut milk, yum.

Ahhh bummer! But just so I understand, trying to wrap my head around all of this. Page 138 of my book, under "the exceptions", it's says " we'll talk about heavy whipping cream in the 'more healthy section' ....we encourage eating all by itself in the form of butter or heavy cream". No sugar in the ingredients or nutrition label. So I'm guessing in the book, the are saying that heavy cream is okay post whole30? If that's the case, why is ghee ok, but not heavy whipping cream? Not playing devils advocate haha just genuinely need to learn! I love coconut so I'll gladly switch to the whipped coconut milk, yum.

I don't rember reading that but I will look tomorrow. Ghee is okay because it has the milk solids removed. I do know that heavy cream has less of the milk solids and more of the fat but I really think they mean after w30. I am gonna check that page tomorrow though. :)

• Moderators

Personally, I think the coconut milk-coconut oil-egg coffee creamer is a Whole30 fail! It is classic sex with your pants on. You are using compliant ingredients to make a version of something to which you are addicted. The Whole30 is a time to grow in your relationship to food, not to hold on to your past as closely as possible. It makes me sad to see so much energy devoted to recreating the coffee experience of an unhealthy past rather than exploring the broad vistas of healthy eating.

The problem with heavy cream is the milk solids/proteins. They are removed from ghee. Ghee is allowed during a Whole30 because it is almost entirely fat.

Tom, how is that "creamer" combo so different from using straight coconut milk or ghee? I actually prefer coffee with ghee mixed in the blender but I often don't want to clean the blender in the morning so I use the "creamer" instead. (Plus I've been using the "creamer" to cut the heat in some overly spicy chili but I could use straight coconut milk for that.)

The benefits of the "creamer" for me are: it's in a jar in my fridge, not in a can that has to be opened and dealt with, and it stays emulsified. Of course, I can put coconut milk in a jar in my fridge and shake it before using it. I just don't see the difference between doing that and using the 'creamer' concoction.

Are you saying that someone who used cream in their coffee should take their coffee black and not even use straight coconut milk? I know you're not because in another post you told someone they could have a little coffee in their coconut milk if they wanted. :)

I don't get what makes up the "unhealthy past" of putting cream in coffee. Is it the fact of spending time trying the different variations (or spending time to make the "creamer" rather than just pouring straight coconut milk in the coffee)? The time focused on trying to recreate a non-compliant food experience?

I ordered a case of coconut milk on Sunday(being delivered today!) figuring I'd be going through a couple of cans a week with this creamer. But I'm sure I'll use it up with other things (such as the chili) and can use ghee in my coffee. Or I can put the coconut milk by itself in a jar in my fridge and shake it before pouring into my coffee.

I'm doing plenty with adding a greater variety of vegetables, having three real meals a day, etc. -- just not talking about it in the coffee creamer posts.

Or are you referring to people you've seen who spend time perfecting the creamer but don't get the rest of their nutritional house in order?

Thanks,

Terez

Ahhh bummer! But just so I understand, trying to wrap my head around all of this. Page 138 of my book, under "the exceptions", it's says " we'll talk about heavy whipping cream in the 'more healthy section' ....we encourage eating all by itself in the form of butter or heavy cream". No sugar in the ingredients or nutrition label. So I'm guessing in the book, the are saying that heavy cream is okay post whole30? If that's the case, why is ghee ok, but not heavy whipping cream? Not playing devils advocate haha just genuinely need to learn! I love coconut so I'll gladly switch to the whipped coconut milk, yum.

The Hartwigs are speaking of higher fat dairy is preferable to lower fat because it is more fat and less milk solids. It says in the next paragraph "remove dairy from your diet for 30 days so you can evaluate the effects milk sugars and protein are having on you". Basically, if you don't avoid it during your W30, you won't know.

@Terez - one of the earlier posters said she was "addicted to French Vanilla Creamer" which is generally bad. I just think Tom was taking exception to recreating something that the poster was addicted to even if it is using compliant ingredients.

If you find a compliant substitute, it will be that much easier to switch back to the bad stuff as you roll off the whole 30. Whereas you could use the 30 days to try something new (black coffee maybe) and see if that sticks instead of trying to fit your old "bad stuff" into the Whole 30 mold.

• Moderators

Unlike most things I post in the forum, I prefaced my above statement "Personally..." I am reluctant to make a blanket statement that anyone who combines coconut milk, oil, and egg to make a coffee additive is blowing their Whole30. My New Year's resolution is to be more flexible and understanding. Flexible is not what I am good at, so I may misjudge a few things. In fact, as I think about it, maybe being flexible here IS a mistake. After all, one of the iconic lines from the Whole30 guidelines has to do with drinking your coffee black...

It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard.

However, Jaym is absolutely right. A person who can't stand to drink their coffee black probably should not make a fancy, SWYPO creamer blend for their coffee during a Whole30. A guy like me who usually drinks his coffee black would be okay with it. Context really matters. Terez, maybe only you can say whether using the coffee lightener is okay for you.

To all who struggle with drinking coffee black, I would encourage you to live outside your coffee comfort zone for long enough to give your tastes some time to change.

I used to drink my coffee loaded down with cream and sugar and hated it any other way. Over the years I've encountered situations where I "had" to drink my coffee black (such as backpacking in the wilderness) and as much as I hated it I realized I could do it. Now in W30-land I've become accustomed to it (although I do like coconut milk, so I've used that from time to time).

Actually on this W30 I am avoiding coffee completely so drinking tea instead (with no "creamers" of any kind). To put it into perspective, imagine the horror of life without coffee. I gave it up temporarily to show myself I could live without it (of course I can't yet live without coffee OR tea, but one issue at a time....)

Anyway my point is that now I can't imagine going back to cream/sugar. The thought of drinking my coffee so sweet and lightened just sounds gross and unnatural. Had I not, over the past six months, forced myself to start drinking my coffee differently I would never have reached this place.

Also as I've seen people mention, the quality of the coffee really makes a difference when drinking it black. If you can spring for the good stuff (which you probably can if you're not spending the $ on creamer) then do that, and if you can even use a french press. Good coffee actually tastes really good and doesn't have the bitterness you are trying to mask with the creamer.

Personally, I think the coconut milk-coconut oil-egg coffee creamer is a Whole30 fail! It is classic sex with your pants on. You are using compliant ingredients to make a version of something to which you are addicted. The Whole30 is a time to grow in your relationship to food, not to hold on to your past as closely as possible. It makes me sad to see so much energy devoted to recreating the coffee experience of an unhealthy past rather than exploring the broad vistas of healthy eating.

The problem with heavy cream is the milk solids/proteins. They are removed from ghee. Ghee is allowed during a Whole30 because it is almost entirely fat.

Tom- thank you for making me literally LOL while making my breakfast. :) (sex with your pants on). I agree with you and thanks for the reminder quote that drinking coffee black along with making all of these new and healthy food choices is. Not. Hard. It's just not as convenient and comfortable as before.

Very thankful for this blog, SO helpful! :)

And to the black coffee haters, I worked at starbucks for years and highly suggest going in and picking the brain of an employee, everything effects how bitter your coffee tastes. For example, type of coffee, coffee to water ratio, if it is ground properly. 1TBS of coffee to 6oz of water is a good rule to go by. I do a hefty TBS I like mine strong. :)

For me, it's baby steps in regard to my coffee. Trying it black as I type this. At the beginning of the month I was averse to coconut milk rather than my heavy cream, but after a week, it's actually starting to taste pretty good - I can even detect a bit of sweetness to it! Right now the black isn't nearly as "comfy" as I want, but I'm going to continue to try. :D

It's not hard. It's not a struggle. I drink my coffee black in the summer (because the remnants of creamed coffee get smelly when I leave a cup in my car in hot weather). My nonW30 sweetener is 1 drop of stevia in a 12-ounce cup of coffee.

I was expecting to drink my coffee black for the W30 but then I found out that adding coconut milk and/or ghee were compliant. Since I prefer my coffee with "cream" and it's now winter where I live, I used the compliant options.

The reason I'm doing the W30 is to improve my nutrition and build good eating habits. With that, I'm going along with the "elimination" of possible trigger foods and the gradual post-W30 reintroduction to see how/if they affect me. That's what I understood as the reason for not having (real) cream in my coffee.

Then there's an element of the W30 that I am still trying to understand, such as this about black coffee being a better choice. I don't quite get the reasoning behind that. That said, I am perfectly willing to do my W30 with black coffee (am having a cup right now!), just wanted to understand the reasoning behind it.

And not to take up your time talking about coffee and creamer! Consistently having three nutritious meals a day with animal protein and a variety of vegetables is what my goal is with this program.

• Moderators

Terez, I love that you keep asking why. Asking why and confronting what I perceived to be inconsistencies is what secured me a spot as a Whole9 Envoy, forum moderator, and even editor of ISWF. That and working for the joy of a good cause. :)

Archived