Not hungry, blood sugar drops, then crisis mode

beejay10

Looking for some help theorizing about why I go from zero to blood sugar crisis mode in the late afternoons. I've tried eating a bigger lunch, but after a sweet potato + chicken or tuna with mayo + broccoli (or some other version of a perfectly Whole30 lunch plate) between 11:30 and 1:00, I'm so full I don't even think about snacks or want food ... until I'm driving home at 4:30pm and feel a sudden blood sugar drop that makes it hard for me to even think straight, much less calmly get dinner on the table for everyone. Should I set a timer and force myself to eat a snack around 3:00 or 3:30, and if so, what should it be? Eating when I don't FEEL hungry seems silly, but clearly my body is in the process of GETTING hungry without sending my brain any signals. The crisis mode is awful and puts my willpower to scary daily tests.

• Moderators

You may not have listed it but sweet potato and chicken doesn't have fat so is it possible that your plates aren't quite matching the recommendations of the Whole30 meal template?  That template is linked in my signature below if you need to take a look at it.  What do you eat for breakfast?  What time is your breakfast?  Are you working out at some point before 430 when you feel this crash and if so, do you also eat the pre and post workout meals?

For the meantime, yes, it would be probably a good idea (amd responsible considering you're driving) to eat something before you get to this point in the day where you feel poorly.  Especially if you're eating lunch at 1130, 430 is right on the edge of the 4-5 hour window we want you eating again in anyway so assuming once you spend time driving home and then changing, making dinner, its 5-6 hours since you've last eaten.  

Try a hardboiled egg and a blop of mayo or make a bit of extra of the tuna and mayo and eat that before you leave work.  One thing about tuna - we've been raised as a society to believe that a can of tuna should make X amount of tuna sandwiches... when in reality, a can of tuna is barely 1 serving of protein so that should be considered when you're using that for your protien.

Thank you for your response! Your suggestion is working so far. Even though I don't feel hungry between 3:00 and 4:00, I've been eating a cup full of protein & fat (some tuna or chicken salad, usually) and this prevents the blood sugar crash. It still feels odd to make myself eat when I don't want to, but I guess there are worse problems to have. :)

Archived