Reintro Day 17 - That went south fast!

Friday and Saturday were not great days. Food was a bit of a free for all and I am paying the price. My schedule was completely bonkers and meal times were non existent. My lack of planning and preparation was a major problem. Using my usual method of "plowing through"  was disastrous. So, lots of "omg, what am I going to eat?" followed by "screw it, just eat something and move one". Well, it's a great experiment this W30 isn't it? After a compliant breakfat, I attended a 9AM to 1PM workshop that went until 2:30PM WITHOUT food (the provided store bought chocolate chip cookies and crap candy are not food - I didn't eat them), I came home to gnaw on a tiny bit of leftover gyro meat in the fridge (loaded with who knows what) and a plum. Then, we headed out to an Adelaide Fringe show called Comfort Food Cabaret - this title SHOULD have tipped me off - in this brilliant mash up of song and food, we were served an arancini ball, (ricey, cheesey, fatty, carb covered ooziness), followed by mac and cheese (cheese, bacon, carmelized with sugar onion and creme fraiche laden pasta) and finished with cheesecake (sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, lemon and boozy, syruped peaches). I was so hungry, I would have eaten the seat I was sitting on so, of course, ate every bit. THEN we went out for dinner at a Hong Kong inspired restaurant in China Town. And that wasn't good either.

Thank goodness we live in the city so we walked home and that gave my body 20 minutes to start thinking about what to do with all the crap. I went to bed and slept alright because I knew it was going to be a disaster and took a light sleep aid. And I was right, I have now woken up felling absolutely terrible. My stomach is actually sore. My feet and hands are swollen. My body feels lethargic. My well healed surgical site is swollen and sore. I can feel the need for my stomach medication. I have a dull headache. I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

So - the onlt way to recover from this is to get back on W30 and stay there until I get back from my beach retreat next week. I'll be preparing all of my own food so, that will be easy. I look forward to feeling better soon.

So, what did I learn? It is WAY to easy to let down your guard if you are ill prepared. My body can handle cheese in small doses but probably shouldn't so it is something I need to eat rarely - WHEN IT IS WORTH IT TO DO SO! (Thanks Melissa - excellent construct!). Letting myself get too hungry is going to end in disaster. On W30, I have seldom been hungry so I wasn't prepared for the impact of missing lunch - I need something in my handbag at all times for these emergencies.  

I'm betting the next few days will see some cravings emerge for the first time. Ugh. We'll see. 

I spontaneously had some dairy today (and probably a bit of wheat flour in the crust of the yummy pie slice I ate)... and started paying for it almost immediately after finishing the last bite, thanks to eating it so slow and savoring every moment. I had decided with each bite that the next bite was so very worth it, and continued to feel that way until I realized that the acid reflux/indigestion issues I've had since my late teens were probably all brought on by dairy. I'm convinced no dairy will ever be worth it again, which is so sad that I might actually have to consider a period of mourning now that my love-hate relationship with cheese is finally over.

@Jihanna There will be mourning indeed - I have to stop eating cheese. I love cheese too (it does, of course, go so very well with wine :)) but this complete turnaround of overall health in 1 day is not worth it. We went out for lunch at a beautiful winery and I assiduously chose W30 like foods. Still, I cannot wait to start my personal retreat tomorrow where I'll be in control. I can grieve freely while I am there!

Let's give up dairy shall we? So long cheese - we're over you!

On 2/25/2019 at 8:57 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

Oh no!! I can totally see how it all happened like that, life just takes us over sometimes (that cabaret show sounds amazing haahaa) and it sucks that you feel so bad for it now! 

It was actually a good thing that happened - at least today it feels like it was! It reminded me of how my body must have hated my diet even though, having grown used to it, it didn't usually revolt like it did on Saturday. It was definitely a wake up call. Back to compliant W30 this week and already feeing like I'm on top of life again. 

Off to cycle to Goolwa and walk the barrage and visit the seals. Life in SA is a beautiful thing Schrod!

Archived