SchrodingersCat's doing the slow reintro thing diary!

SchrodingersCat

Here I am, 39 days compliant then onto the slow slow reintro!

So the plan is to reintro things on the weekend, with fully compliant weekdays in between.

This weekend it was sugar, and alcohol. 

Saturday I went to a BBQ with the idea of staying compliant save for not worrying about sugar in marinades and dressings, but I also took some compliant chicken skewers because I knew there were burgers and sausages which may have wheat or soy. The salad ended up being this gorgeous salsa thing which was full of corn, so I ended up eating chicken skewers, compliant kangaroo burgers, dill pickles and grilled mushrooms so there wasn't really any sugars to worry about there. I made the desert which was a flourless citrus cake - all compliant ingredients save for the huge amount of sugar in it. I did have a slice of that, along with an unplanned reintro of dairy because it had been drizzled with cream. Drink-wise, I had low carb alcoholic cider, and a couple of glasses of sparkling wine.

Woke up Sunday feeling fine save for a wee headache, but I was still up early and no real negative effects.

Last night I had another few glasses of sparkling wine, and feel find today save I woke up with really bad anxiety at 5:00am and never really went back to sleep, just dozed with disturbing dreams. I have slept so well while being W30, and I had not missed broken, anxious sleep at all. That, more than anything, is a very good reason to stay very limited on the wine!!

So takeaway from the weekend:

• Sugar: The cake was nice, but I'm not craving sweets at all and happy to go back to compliant. No negative effects, it seems.
  • Alcohol: Was nice to have a drink, no major negative effects but the disturbed sleep wasn't great.
  • Dairy (all of maybe a teaspoon of cream): Nothing of note.

Next weekend we have houseguests but I'll be doing the cooking and will be able to control what's served, and my friend who is coming to stay is pregnant so there won't be alcohol peer-pressure. I plan on reintro-ing dairy with a lovely cheese platter.  

On 2/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

Last night I had another few glasses of sparkling wine, and feel find today save I woke up with really bad anxiety at 5:00am and never really went back to sleep, just dozed with disturbing dreams. I have slept so well while being W30, and I had not missed broken, anxious sleep at all. That, more than anything, is a very good reason to stay very limited on the wine!!

Well, I must admit that I am glad I am not alone! That has been exactly my wine reintroduction experience! I am SO enjoying the restful, sound sleep that W30 has provided for the first time in (literally) decades. SO much, in fact, that I'm starting to release the hold wine has on me. I'm down here in Port Elliot in the sun and sea and not even thinking about a glass of wine! I just don't need to go back to fitful nights of anxiety driven sleep. 

33 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Well, I must admit that I am glad I am not alone! That has been exactly my wine reintroduction experience! I am SO enjoying the restful, sound sleep that W30 has provided for the first time in (literally) decades. SO much, in fact, that I'm starting to release the hold wine has on me. I'm down here in Port Elliot in the sun and sea and not even thinking about a glass of wine! I just don't need to go back to fitful nights of anxiety driven sleep. 

It's awful, isn't it? I forgot how horrible I felt, particularly on Mondays if I had a couple glasses on Sunday night. I'm like you, and love good wine so it's sad! But I much prefer the good night's sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a glass of wine on Sunday, and one on Monday, no ill effects as far as I can tell.

Today I'm going to have CHEESE! On my taco salad tonight. I'm not going to add any other dairy today, because I don't really have dairy save for cheese and generally not on more than 1 meal a day, so I intend to intro the same way I'd usually eat it.

I shall report back!

Congratulations on the cheese! The instant headache was interesting - stress indeed has a way of showing itself. I've only had cheese a couple of times in the past 30 days and no other dairy. I think I tolerate it well enough too but something has brought back heat waves (vs hot flashes) and I'm wondering about cheese being the culprit. It could be wine too. I've had a glass the last 2 nights and have had poor quality sleep following. I really have to stop drinking it but it's AMAZING how Worth It it seems at the time vs how poor a decision it feels like at 3AM. 

2 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Congratulations on the cheese! The instant headache was interesting - stress indeed has a way of showing itself. I've only had cheese a couple of times in the past 30 days and no other dairy. I think I tolerate it well enough too but something has brought back heat waves (vs hot flashes) and I'm wondering about cheese being the culprit. It could be wine too. I've had a glass the last 2 nights and have had poor quality sleep following. I really have to stop drinking it but it's AMAZING how Worth It it seems at the time vs how poor a decision it feels like at 3AM. 

Oh, don't I hear you on the "good idea at the time" thing!

I'm 99.9% sure the cheese was not the culprit for the headache, I've had them almost permanently and was very stressed that night. Sadly, I'm starting to think they're caused by my hair - it's now waist length and VERY thick and usually on top of my head... maybe time to have the chop!

I'm now day 2 post-cheese and sour cream and still feeling fine. No belly issues, no migraine, no vertigo, no sleep disruption... I'm not sure if a larger amount would trigger anything, but given that back when I used to react to dairy it was almost instant and brutal, I'll chalk this up to a win.

Now sure what my next reintro will be, I don't have a hankering for anything the way I did with cheese - I eat very little in the way of legumes anyway, and am not missing grains of any type. Even the sulphites I'm happy to leave out - I used to use lemon and lime juice in bottles for my soda water all the time, but since using fresh for W30 there's no way I'm going back, and all my vinegars are now compliant. I think I'll just let them sneak back in when there's something I want and that's the only non-compliant ingredient. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a food compliant weekend but I drank wine every night (never enough to get drunk, but it's the most consistent drinking I've done since I started), and today, my back aches, my joints are achey, I have a headache and I'm tired despite good sleep. It just slows me down, and I'm glad I'm avoiding! 

I REALLY need to reintro some stuff properly though, because I have Bali coming up in less than 6 weeks, where it's going to be REALLY hard to avoid non-compliant foods, and I also have my Mom coming to visit for Easter, which means delicious non-compliant foods. So I'm going to be brave this week and reintro soy, because that's going to be a big thing in Bali. I'll make a dinner that involves soy sauce and edamame on Tuesday (I have Wednesday off work) and see how we go!

OK, so I'm sitting here with a cup of miso soup - Soy reintro commence! I'm doing soy separately to other legumes and having a 2 day intake with a 5 day compliant period following. 

I'm planning on having miso soup now, soy sauce on dinner, some edamame if I can find some at the supermarket and tomorrow I'm going to make salt and pepper tofu for lunch.

Ok, i know I'm supposed to wait for at least 2 days between reintro bit we went to Captain Marvel and i had popcorn. It was glorious. 

So if anything crops up in the next few days, I'll know it's either soy or corn and will then reintro them separately. If nothing crops up, I'll consider it a couple of wins.

I have lower intestinal pain, I've had it since this morning. i get it from time to time but it suddenly made me realise I get it from time to time but haven't had it for ages. Very hard to explain, but I've always referred to it as "Sore innards" 

It was there before the popcorn, so if it was food, it's the soy. I'm going to do another soy reintro and not bugger it up with popcorn. 

UGH, reintro fail.

We had a last minute lunch as a Japanese restaurant for welcoming a new coworker. 

I had sashimi, which I'm not fond of, and did have soy sauce because I've been reintroing it anyway, so eh. And actually, the sashimi was lovely!

However, I know there was most likely gluten in the soy sauce, so first fail.

Ordered a kale salad for main, it had quinoa in it (not on menu), so second fail.

Dressing was so utterly, horrifically sweet - I know my taste buds aren't used to it, but holy hell, I feel like it was liquid candy. Third fail.

So I'm back to compliant for a week, I think. I need it!

• 2 weeks later...

UGHHHHH. This long weekend, I had hot cross buns. And cheese. And butter. And chocolate. And other chocolate. And fruit cake. And way, way, way too much wine.

I now have vertigo, puffy hands, IBS symptoms, heartburn, brain fog and general all around awfulness. 

So what did I do? Ate a laksa. Self flagellation at its best. 

Archived