Whole30 Mayo

Boop

Hi!  This is our first time doing Whole30, day 1 actually.  I followed the recipe to make the basic mayo.  It doesn't look like the picture and it is yellow.  Tastes a little "oily".  I am just wondering if I did something wrong?  It is a little 'tangy' as well, but I presume that is from the lemon juice.  Thanks!

• Moderators

the yellowness of the mayo may be from the color of the yolk... mine usually looks quite yellow and then I made it with an egg I borrowed from a neighbor once and that mayo turned out super white.

Not sure about the oily... did you blend it long enough?  If you used the immersion blender, sometimes the top bit is a bit oilier and a quick stir gets that residual oil mixed in.

• Moderators

Also pay attention to how the oil you're using tastes. If you use EVOO you'll get a super strong olive flavor that most people don't like, or if your oil goes a little rancid, you can get bitter mayo. Basically whatever flavor or smell your oil has is going to show up in your mayo, so try to find something with a really neutral flavor.

Archived