Restaurant food made me ill

MaryC9

Hello, I’m on Day 8 of Whole30 and I’ve just left a restaurant that I thought would have all compliant ingredients. I currently have a headache, stomach ache and swollen throat. 

I called the restaurant and found out that the Caesar dressing (I had asked for a list of ingredients beforehand, seemed compliant) included Dijon mustard which likely had white wine in it. And the coconut milk for my smoothie had an added sulfite. I’m on Day 8 and do not want to reset. Is there anything I can do to rid my system if this and still whole30 to run it’s proper course?

I want to add that although I know smoothies are frowned upon for Whole30 - this was my first (and likely only) one that had coconut milk, dates, almonds, banana, and I replaced the cocoa nibs with 100% cocoa powder. I was certainly “splurging” on this, but planned the best of my day to be only vegetables and meat, as that’s enough sugar for the day. 

The only way to rid your system of something you ingested is to let it run its course - meaning being compliant. It's for this reason that they strongly suggest you start over if you eat something non-compliant, because the work you've done in ridding your body of those things is then undone. There's no fast track, unfortunately.

I'm amazed that the caesar dressing didn't have cheese - I've never heard of it made without parmesan! 

I've never heard of Caesar without parm either, so that's pretty surprising. I agree with Schrod that there's a reason behind them saying it's best to "start over", but if you feel that phrase - starting over - would negatively impact your viewpoint, then see how you feel about thinking of it as an extension... instead of starting your count over again, continue forward and just tack on an extra week (or 8-9 days) at the end of the originally planned month, then move into reintroduction phase.

Eating in restaurants can be tricky, and I've fond that it's easiest for me when I give them as few ways as possible to mess with my system. So I only use oil and vinegar to dress my salads (if I want a salad that comes with something else usually, I'll just have them replace it). I ask for my condiments on the side, for meats to be cooked without sauces, etc. This is all after asking for as much information as I possibly can, all the way down to looking things up online and calling them directly before going out. It takes extra work, and it takes me putting myself into a mindset of NOT seeing a meal out as a time to move away from what I'd be able to do at home (per program rules), but it's worth it for me because I end up enjoying my meal more when I don't have to worry about how it's going to affect me.

No judgment from me on the smoothie, but I will pass on a word of caution -- what you've described there sounds like it was designed for sugar dragons, and more than a few sips of it would likely give me a headache at this point because my sugar intake is so low compared to what it used to be... if you start feeling yourself itching for sweet stuff (even if it's a craving for sweet fruits or roasted butternut), it might not be a bad thing to consider scaling back the overall "sweetness" of your food for a bit to see if that helps you conquer that feeling. I had to do it myself, because I realized I was using fruit (in my salad, of all places) as a crutch and I needed to make sure I could be at a point where eating fruit wasn't going to make me want chocolate :D

Thank you both so much for the response. I do feel that starting over completely would put me in a negative mindset. So I’m going to take your advice Jihanna and add days in to the end before reintroduction. As for my sugar cravings...I have found myself reaching for a lot fruits or a compliant fruit bar to feed that “sugar dragon”. I have to rework how I approach sugar. 

As for going out to eat, I also have been to a Chinese restaurants that made me steamed chicken & vegetable, and I just squeezed lemon and S&P and it was delicious. But in general - going to stay a restaurant. I don’t want a repeat from the other day! 

Thank you! 

Archived