KalinaM

Start date MARCH 11-- accountability buddies

Recommended Posts

Hi gang! I'm starting my 3rd whole30 on March 11. I'd love it if you'd join me in this thread so we can help keep each other accountable!!

My first whole30 was wildly successful, but pregnancy and new mom-hood took me back to old habits--

 my 2nd whole30 did well, but I feel like I was just "going through the motions" to get to day 31.

This time, I'd like good habits to stick! I've learned so much-- gluten and soy are definitely not my friends, but I've let too much soy seep back into my diet (soybean oil! It's everywhere!!)  

 

Today I'm prepping by making instant pot beef broth and ghee. Don't want to be too overwhelmed with food prep on day 0 like I was the first 2 times! 

Looking forward to "meeting" some accountability buddies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also be starting March 11th! This is my first time. I turn 30 this year and really have decided to take health into my own hands!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, asharn!  Nice to "meet" you. Finished up my grocery shopping for week one-- will prep lots of goodies tomorrow. I saw your pother post about brunch on St Patty's day-- I'm sorry to tell you most restaurants I have encountered use soybean oil, so are out for whole30. I wish you luck, though!! When in doubt, bring your own homemade salad dressing and order a salad with only veggies. Or, use olive oil and a squeeze of lemon and a dash of salt if you forget your own dressing. I have spent many phone calls speaking to restaurant managers about things-- it is easiest to call ahead of time so you are prepared. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RachelleM said:

I’m also starting my first ever Whole30 on March 11th! I’m super excited!!! 

Hi, Rachelle! My phone didn't notify me of your response until now! Not sure why- anyway-- YAY! I'm glad you're excited! Enthusiasm is contagious, glad to be here with you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting my fourth - mainly to re-calibrate my eating as I've been including cozy comfort foods again and it's time to get back to basics. This time even though it's not encouraged in the Whole 30, I'm intending to be mindful of my portions but without going crazy with it. Just wanting to pay attention to those serving sizes. As I get older I can't eat the same without it showing on my hips and belly. :-)

Look forward to the companionship during this shared experience. It helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FitAndFabForever said:

I'm starting my fourth - mainly to re-calibrate my eating as I've been including cozy comfort foods again and it's time to get back to basics. This time even though it's not encouraged in the Whole 30, I'm intending to be mindful of my portions but without going crazy with it. Just wanting to pay attention to those serving sizes. As I get older I can't eat the same without it showing on my hips and belly. :-)

Look forward to the companionship during this shared experience. It helps!

Hi! So glad you are here with us!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day ZERO prep DONE!! Woohoo!! It does seem that after 2 previous whole30s, I can say today wasn't as overwhelming as in the past. I still spent 5 hours cooking, but I have meals prepped for the entire week! I did one slow cooker meal, one intstantpot meal, one stove top meal and one oven meal. In addition to making hard boiled eggs, mayo, salad dressing and roasted sweet potatoes. I'm all set to get us through the work week! 

 

Ready? Set! GO!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's everyone doing? 4 meals in!! My tummy is upset today, but probably because it's still processing the junk of the weekend. I'm nervous as I've been summoned for Jury Duty in 3 weeks, so will still be whole 30-ing. Going to have to get a game plan for cold lunches to take and emergency snacks just in case. Glad I have 3 weeks to prep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!! We have a birthday in my work office today so there will be a bunch of goodies (pretty much all of which I won't be able to indulge in). I volunteered to make the veggie tray, so I made my first homemade mayo and homemade ranch last night! It is SO good! Mayo was almost a complete fail, but I was able to save it. I hope everyone else is doing well! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I officially made it through the temptation of cheesecake and cookies at work yesterday (so proud of myself!) and our Friday breakfast tradition today! I've honestly felt great thus far, I have so much more energy after dinner every night. It's crazy how much better I feel in general. Hope everyone is hanging in there!! :) I'm ready for the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RachelleM said:

I officially made it through the temptation of cheesecake and cookies at work yesterday (so proud of myself!) and our Friday breakfast tradition today! I've honestly felt great thus far, I have so much more energy after dinner every night. It's crazy how much better I feel in general. Hope everyone is hanging in there!! :) I'm ready for the weekend. 

YAY for you!!! That is HUGE!!! Big accomplishment. So proud of you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are 5 days down! 1/6 of the way through! I'm definitely in the "kill all the things" mode.... sigh-- hoping I wake up more cheerful tomorrow. Just made my shopping list so I can batch cook again on Sunday. Totally worked making the work week easy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KalinaM I hope your weekend went well! Great job staying the course, the first two weeks are the hardest. :) My client did hit the "kill all the things" (her poor husband and coworkers teehee) but once she hit "tiger blood", she was awesome.

If anyone needs the timeline calendar, scroll to the bottom of this link: https://whole30.com/bonus-whole30-graphics/ and print out one of the calendars :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!!

I also started March 11. So far so good!

This is my first time doing the Whole30 after many attempts at choosing and sticking with a diet (like a lifestyle, not a Diet). I had success on and off, as seems to be the trend. Here's to hoping the Whole30 is forever! In addition to fat loss (I'd like to gain weight in muscle, lose fat), I am interested and excited to see the other benefits of the Whole30 (bye forever acne!). 

My work has limitless snacks and goodies as well as provides lunch 3 days a week—often pizza, or wings, or some other delicacy of the sort (*dreaming of lasagna...). My only temptation has been beer, wine, and chocolate. Also cheese. Any maybe the crackers and noodles that my husband shamelessly snarfs down next to me...

I did have an emotional breakdown on day 2 after doing dishes and spending, like, 4 hours prepping before I even started on dinner causing me to eat around 9 pm. Lesson learned! Dinner first, then prep.

I have a few questions for the group:

-Is anyone else finding that it takes forever to prep? I feel like I must either be a terrible cook, inexperienced, or simply slow. But man oh man, some of these evenings have been rough! Any tips or tricks here?

-I seem to be making a TON of food. Am I not eating enough, or am I just over-cooking? The book says that most of the recipes assume 2 servings, but even with my husband indulging in these delicious meals I have leftovers for days. It's been helpful for pre- and post-workout meals, but golly, my fridge is full!

Side note: my mayo was also almost a disaster just because it was so messy! Definitely didn't expect that...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RedWyoming prep will get easier as you go. You might find something like a weekly cookup useful:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/. Or you might not, it doesn't work for everyone. 

Do remember that your meals don't have to be anything fancy. On days when you don't have a lot of time or energy, leftovers are great, or something like eggs with spinach, roasted sweet potato, and avocado. Or a can of tuna with mayo or oil and whatever vegetables you have in your fridge or freezer that you don't actually have to chop up and cook.

As for serving sizes, it can vary from person to person. Base your meals on the meal template (download it here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/), and pay attention to how you're feeling. If you feel good and you're going 4-5 hours between meals pretty easily, you're eating enough. If you're hungry two hours after a meal, that meal may not have been big enough, or you might have not had enough fat, or it might just be a day when you're more hungry. No matter why, if you're truly hungry, eat, and if you're finding you're often hungry, go back to the meal template and be sure you're eating enough and the right mix of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RedWyoming said:

Hi everyone!!

I also started March 11. So far so good!

This is my first time doing the Whole30 after many attempts at choosing and sticking with a diet (like a lifestyle, not a Diet). I had success on and off, as seems to be the trend. Here's to hoping the Whole30 is forever! In addition to fat loss (I'd like to gain weight in muscle, lose fat), I am interested and excited to see the other benefits of the Whole30 (bye forever acne!). 

My work has limitless snacks and goodies as well as provides lunch 3 days a week—often pizza, or wings, or some other delicacy of the sort (*dreaming of lasagna...). My only temptation has been beer, wine, and chocolate. Also cheese. Any maybe the crackers and noodles that my husband shamelessly snarfs down next to me...

I did have an emotional breakdown on day 2 after doing dishes and spending, like, 4 hours prepping before I even started on dinner causing me to eat around 9 pm. Lesson learned! Dinner first, then prep.

I have a few questions for the group:

-Is anyone else finding that it takes forever to prep? I feel like I must either be a terrible cook, inexperienced, or simply slow. But man oh man, some of these evenings have been rough! Any tips or tricks here?

-I seem to be making a TON of food. Am I not eating enough, or am I just over-cooking? The book says that most of the recipes assume 2 servings, but even with my husband indulging in these delicious meals I have leftovers for days. It's been helpful for pre- and post-workout meals, but golly, my fridge is full!

Side note: my mayo was also almost a disaster just because it was so messy! Definitely didn't expect that...

 

Hi! Welcome! Yes-- I've learned it's SOOOO important not to let yourself get hangry! If it helps you at all (this is my 3rd whole30, so I am finding it to be the easiest one so far because I learned what not to do in the previous two!!) I batch cook on Sundays to prep for the work week. I choose one slow cooker meal, one instant pot meal, one one pot/skillet stove top meal and one oven meal. Then- we have food ALL WEEK LONG! And about 5  hours worth of prep on Sundays. Make a shopping list on Friday evening, shop on Saturday and repeat.  I usually also hard boil a dozen eggs and make a batch of mayo and/or salad dressing on Sunday as well. It's a busy day, but MUCH less hectic during the week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Shani_SWP said:

@KalinaM I hope your weekend went well! Great job staying the course, the first two weeks are the hardest. :) My client did hit the "kill all the things" (her poor husband and coworkers teehee) but once she hit "tiger blood", she was awesome.

If anyone needs the timeline calendar, scroll to the bottom of this link: https://whole30.com/bonus-whole30-graphics/ and print out one of the calendars :) 

 

 

It's so funny you mention this! I just had a dream last night that I took my son to Chick-Fil-A and indulged in nuggets and then CRIED that I messed up on day 8! So relieved it was a dream!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

It's so funny you mention this! I just had a dream last night that I took my son to Chick-Fil-A and indulged in nuggets and then CRIED that I messed up on day 8! So relieved it was a dream!

Oh man! I also had my first Whole30 dream last night that I drank two beers and had to start over! I probably thought it was real for the first 3 minutes I was awake. Oddly disheartening haha. :(

Those are also really great suggestions for prep. I need to practice getting out of my old routine of shopping and cooking and dishes all on the same day. With work, work outs, and everything else going on, it can be overwhelming. I am going to give your approach a try next week!

I've noticed that hungry doesn't feel like I thought hungry felt. Rather than stomach-gurgling hunger, I am experiencing mood hunger. For example, I'll notice that my energy and/or motivation plunges rather suddenly, and that's when I become a KATT demon....

Luckily, I have gotten a little bit better about keeping an adequate amount of [appetizing and Whole30] food around. 

Thanks for your suggestions!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Halfway through! Who's still in this with me??

Today is my birthday! And as much as I was dreading doing Whole30 during my birthday, it turned out OK-- drove 30 minutes out of my way yesterday to find compliant bacon so I could have that on my birthday and had shrimp in ghee, garlic and lemon juice for supper. YUM!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

Halfway through! Who's still in this with me??

Today is my birthday! And as much as I was dreading doing Whole30 during my birthday, it turned out OK-- drove 30 minutes out of my way yesterday to find compliant bacon so I could have that on my birthday and had shrimp in ghee, garlic and lemon juice for supper. YUM!!

Happy birthday, Kalina! Your dinner sounds delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 7:42 PM, KalinaM said:

Halfway through! Who's still in this with me??

Today is my birthday! And as much as I was dreading doing Whole30 during my birthday, it turned out OK-- drove 30 minutes out of my way yesterday to find compliant bacon so I could have that on my birthday and had shrimp in ghee, garlic and lemon juice for supper. YUM!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious. I drove an hour this past weekend to get compliant bacon so I could have some this week! LOL, I’m going strong. I’m feeling it get easier now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down to the last week! I'm on jury duty this week and am finding it difficult, but not impossible to follow the diet. I brought a whole bunch of food with me for "just in case" scenarios. Mentally exhausted though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now