Reintro Day 22 - 60 days of W30 lifestyle

My reintroduction has mostly been a NON-reintroduction thus far - slow roll indeed. When I am in charge of my meals, I am eating W30 compliant. It's harder when others are involved - like Friday night, my daughter and her partner wanted pizza so we ordered pizza. It was from an independent, wood fired oven kind of place with glorious thin, smokey crust and high quality ingredients but it was still pizza - cheese and wheat flour. I tolerated it well but realize I have a problem with pizza - it's totally a food without brakes for me. 5 slices are simply not enough - I can eat a whole, giant pizza on my own. I loved learning about satiety and satiation in ISWF. I can feel satiey coming on while I eat a plate of compliant stirfry over a baked sweet potato. I don't always stop eating (that's a next step thing for me to work on) but I can and, when I finish those last few bites, it's with no regret that the end of the meal means an end of the deliciousness. Pizza is definitely a no brakes thing where I never tire of picking up another piece and eating it - there's no feeling of satiety likely because there's no satiation. I just want more and, having decided 5 pieces is enough and stopping, those remaining pieces call to me. While I was putting the rest away in the fridge, I sliced another sliver and ate that - I could have eaten all of the leftovers. So - pizza is a brake free food. So is pasta - totally out of control - eat, eat, EAT. I just envision this as me careening madly down a slippery hill. Interesting. I'm not sure what this means for me. I think pizza and pasta have to be very rare indulgences in an essentially grain free life. I didn't feel guilty at all for my pizza splurge while it was happening or afterwards - likely because I had been W30 compliant for the previous 5 days and decided artisanal pizza was worth it. Still, that's a lot of carbs and dairy to be consuming so, time to put a serious limit on pizza.

In other news, wine really is a problem. We went up to the Barossa yesterday and stopped for some wine tasting. I took wee sips and appreciated the amazing wines the Barossa is famous for - but, 2 hours later, I felt tired and cranky and headachey and hyper irritated. This feeling lasted for several hours.  sigh* I keep hoping for a way to enjoy wine that doesn't mess with me but, nope. :( 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I keep hoping for a way to enjoy wine that doesn't mess with me 

Have you tried white and red wines separately? Some people do better with one or the other. 

Another thing it could be is the sulfites that are in wine, and it is possible to find wines that don't have sulfites, or that have less sulfites. I don't know how they compare to other wines, so it might be that even if they worked for you as far as not making you feel bad, they might not taste good enough to be worth bothering with, but it's something you could look into.

@ShannonM816 and @SchrodingersCat 

I appreciate you coming by and making suggestions. I don't know that I am reacting to sulphites as much as discovering a hypersensitivity to the neurotoxicity of wine. Neurotoxicity is one of the challenges we see in long term alcoholics with everything from peripheral nerve damage to psychosis. It's usually not a problem experienced by those drinking one or two glasses of wine - although inebriation itself is a form of neurotoxicity. While some grapes (looking at you sauvignon blanc) have always hurt my stomach, this post W30 reintro of wine has been more challenging than simply having an upset stomach. It's the anxiety fraught restless night and waking up with generalized non-specific anxiety that are more worrisome. It has happened each of the 3 times I've had wine at night in the past 30 days. The one time I had sips of wine in the afternoon, I experienced an overwhelming fatigue despite an great night's sleep. These are signs of neurotoxicity. It's very interesting and very, very sad because, as Schrod knows, I am an oenophiliac who has spent a lot of time studying wine and developing a pretty impressive cellar.  To me, this has been the big "oh poop" (keeping it PG - insert your own 4 letter word there) moment of my W30.

Anyway - I will carry on. I will simply have to be very intentional about my wine (and alcohol) intake.

Interesting side note - there is no such thing as sulphite free wine - sulphites are a natural byproduct of the grape fermentation process and any wine marked "sulphite free" simply has a level below 10ppm. Those truly allergic to sulphites can not drink wine.

Archived