prenatal vitamins

VanillaMilla

• Moderators

You'll really have to find out what the ingredients are to know for sure, but most chewable vitamins contain sweeteners of some sort, and many multivitamins contain soy or other non-compliant ingredients, so the odds are it's not going to work for whole30. However, if this is the one your doctor said to take, that order would trump whole30 rules.

This has been discussed in the past, if you google Whole30 prenatal vitamin, you should find some previous discussions, which might give you some possible brands to check out.

These are made for children

Other Ingredients: Granulated calcium carbonate (calcium carbonate, dextrose monohydrate, sugar, maltodextrin, microcrystalline cellulose), sorbitol, sodium ascorbate, ferrous fumarate, natural and artificial flavoring, pregelatinized starch, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate; less than 2% of: beta-carotene, biotin, calcium pantothenate,, cholecalciferol, cupric oxide, cyanocobalamin, FD&C blue #2 lake, FD&C Red #40 lake, FD&C yellow #6 lake, folic acid, gelatin, magnesium oxide, magnesium stearate, mono- and diglycerides, niacinamide, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, phytonadione, riboflavin, silicon dioxide, soy lecithin, sucralose, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A acetate, zinc oxide.
CONTAINS: SOY

There are far better pre-natal out there.  Pure Encapsulations makes a PreNatal that is non-GMO, gluten free and considered vegetarian.

Nutritional support for pregnancy and lactation - for adults ( not children) 

Indications:
Women of child-bearing age, pregnant women, lactating women
Best when combined with EPA/DHA essentials
Now enhanced with:
1 mg of folate from 40% folic acid and 60% Metafolin® L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate (L-5-MTHF), the naturally occurring, universally metabolized form of folate
Increased vitamin D based on revised RDA requirements for pregnancy
Vitamin K to support healthy carboxylation of proteins for blood clotting and bone‡
100 mg of choline to support fetal central nervous system development‡
Vitamin Distinctions:
1 mg of folate from 40% folic acid and 60% L-5-MTHF for optimal neural and cellular development‡
27 mg of iron and 150 mcg of iodine to meet enhanced requirements during pregnancy‡
100 mg of choline to support hormone, neurotransmitter, DNA, protein and energy production‡
Special Features:
Specially formulated based on accepted scientific recommendations for nutrient requirements during pregnancy

Children's vitamins CAN be used for adults (the ones we use for my girls even have a the daily value info that includes adults in the list, but in all fairness it literally says "for adults and children 4 years of age and older"), but the only reason I'd look in that direction is if you really need a chewable/gummy and also need added iron* (I looked for hours at 3 different stores to find an adult multi with added iron for my older daughter, and it simply wasn't happening, not even really expensive ones, so we grabbed the store-brand Flintstones-like ones for her).

For before pregnancy, during, and afterward (for as long as you're nursing), I'd definitely go with a supplement that's specifically formulated to support your body during those times... even without the consideration of whether or not ingredients are compliant, your body will need more than it will get from a vitamin formulated for children.

edited to add:
* Even then, you can easily take a regular multi and then have an iron supplement on top if you're not getting enough from your food, for whatever reason (I'm typically borderline anemic and my iron's been fine since doing W30).

Archived