Starting March 5!

cmac8

Whole 30 newbie starting tomorrow! I'm excited, nervous, and starting at a low in terms of how my digestion's feeling-- so both ready to start and also for day 1 to be over.

Let me know if anyone else is going on this ride for the first time and wants to stay in contact for motivation.

Hi cmac8! I will be starting on Wednesday March 6, 2019. I am planning on working through a Lent Whole30 up until April 18 or there about. I live in Zagreb, Croatia - Europe. So that means I will be about a day and a half behind you. This is my 4th Whole30. I try to do it once a year for Lent just to reset my system and clear out the toxins and junk. It gets easier every time and I am so much better about my eating habits. 

Every time I did the Whole30 I joined a group on the forum and that has made all the difference. I definitely need the support and encouragement because some days are tough. My husband will be joining me so hopefully we can support each other as well. Let me know how your first day goes. :)

Hi all! I started today and feeling great today! @Ksprljan that is such a great idea to do it annually. This is the 2nd time for me, but had planned on doing it again a lot sooner than now, with the same concept in mind. I'd like to do it every 6 months. 

I've decided to also do intermittent fasting along with the Whole30 this round. Honestly to just make it easier for me! Cooking the Whole30 way is just time intensive and I really lack that at this time in my life. I have 7 children, whom I homeschool, and am cooking separately for them as buying produce in Alaska can get very expensive. 

Being here on the forum helped me a TON during my first round. I am excited for that support again! Let's keep in touch. What did you all have on your first day? I had the "breakfast Diner" for lunch (used bacon instead of sausage), and then the pan roasted veggies with leftover pan-seared Moose roast. So yummy! I love eating this way. It tastes so good. Like my own fancy restaurant at home. Mmm.

Hi! I also started a Whole30 on March 5. I am in Alberta Canada. This is not my first Whole30 but every Whole30 feels like the first Whole30 to me. I am also trying intermittent fasting at the same time, same as Nedster7. I was already trying to learn intermittent fasting ahead of this Whole30 with instruction from a health nurse. I cooked up a bunch of  'The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat' (http://meljoulwan.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/). I am in love with brining. I also whipped up a whole bunch of homemade mayo (https://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/). These items plus all the sweet potatoes are my lifelines :) It's all mental brainpower this week to keep remembering you have yummy food prepared and you don't need to grab anything random in between your beautifully prepped meals.

It is day 2 and I feel so sleepy. How is everyone else feeling?

Yep, I"m starting my first W30 Ash Wednesday, March 6th.  I'd be pleased and grateful to help and have your help and guidance through the process. Today is my prep the kitchen day. Fortunately, we don't have much junk-food to toss and what we do have I won't touch it even in normal or dire circumstances - it's all hubby's favorites.   My toughest challenge is giving up wine in the evenings.  I'm not sure club soda is going to be a satisfying substitute. 

@cmac8 You're very welcome! Having a few stand by comfort foods is well, a great comfort! I did learn from a friend that not all olive oils are created equally, I happened to stumble the right answer on my first try but my friend threw out many batches of mayo that were yuck because the olive oil was too heavy. So if it is available in your region, Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil is amazing for mayo!!! I also happened to luck out with my food processor. I have this little one , https://www.cuisinart.ca/DLC-2AC.html?lang=en. I'm sure there are lots that work. The advantage I discovered to this one is that the lid has 2 small holes, you can see them here https://www.cuisinart.ca/DLC-2ABS-1.html?lang=en. When you read the mayo instructions, they indicate slowly drizzling olive oil into the running processor for emulsification. It's hard to drizzle oil slowly. These little holes on the processor are little miracles! I just pour oil over the holes and that restricts the flow into the processor, resulting in a great drizzle! You do not need to go get the same food processor. Just look at yours for similar holes or borrow a friends maybe. It may save your arm strength lols

Thank you for teaching me how to tag people in these forums! I just copied you!

@Dee D You're probably right, club soda is not going to cut it lols I don't like club soda at the best of times. I don't have a suggestion for that. It's just tough to give up wine for awhile. Have patience, drink more water than you think is normal. Try infusing your water with fruits maybe. Good luck! You can do this!

My day 3 feels sleepy. I wish I had started over a weekend so I could nap but then the weekend was needed for all the prep so what can you do!

I'm halfway through Day 1. Breakfast was 2 hardboiled eggs with a side of strawberries and pineapple chunks. I've got W30 compliant tuna salad in the fridge that I'll roll in lettuce leaves for lunch.  Dinner is W30 Purple Potato Soup. I'll make cheese toasts on the side for hubby to eat.  I think starting today was a wise idea as it's a fasting day anyway. Yes, I'm a bit hungry but not ravenously so.  Coffee with a splash of compliant almond-coconut milk really does much to curb my appetite. 

Hey y'all! I'm new to the forum, but I'm on Day 16 of my fifth Whole30. I'm here to help you stay motivated, and I have tested (and developed) A TON of Whole30 recipes. 

@Dee D Have you tried Starbucks passion tea? Hot or cold it has that wine-like smack you might be looking for in a nightcap. A squeeze of lime adds something too. 

Breakfast today was roasted sweet potatoes and grape tomatoes, soft scrambled eggs, sugar-free bacon, and 1/2 an avocado with Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel seasoning. I also threw in a Cutie and some blueberries that were about to die in my fridge for color. 

Lunch is a recipe I'm developing but it's not quite there yet. Slow roasted pulled pork, tomato gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels, and some Oloves (chili and garlic) for fat. 

Let me know if you need ideas for meal planning or prep strategies!   

I'm new to this as well. Starting today since it's Ash Wednesday. I had a spinach frittata with avocado and raspberries for breakfast and a half a can of tuna on salad with veggies, olives and strawberries. I am a coffee drinker and normally have 1/2 and 1/2 but I drank it black with a little water. It wasn't too bad. Not sure if this is the reason but I am really bloated. I thought that would happen a few days from now. Anyway, excited but a little concerned of the focus on food. I want to do this right but not obsess. anyway, happy to be here. Thanks!

How's everyone doing?  Day 2 over and done with, feeling good :) One question for the group- should I be thinking strategically about meal size as well? I know there are portion recommendations, but any Whole30 guidance on "oh breakfast should definitely be the biggest meal of the day"? I don't really want to have to consider meal size beyond what gives me energy and prevents snacking, but curious if there are opinions. 

Almost done with Day 2. Love hearing about your meals and recipes. My challenge as always is accessibility of ingredients in Europe. Some of the stuff you guys in North American have access to is simply not available. What I do have in Croatia is plenty of clean natural foods. I also don't have a lot of time. I work full time and have two small children. I try to workout at least 5 times a week so that leaves very little time for meal prep and cooking. I do like to cook I just don't like it when it eats up so much of my time. So my meals end up being quite simple affairs. Mornings are usually and egg scramble with veggies and sausage or bacon. The last two days lunch was chicken and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Dinner tuna salad. Today lunch was the same chicken and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. And dinner will be turkey meatballs with grilled zucchini. Hopefully there will be enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow as well. I am looking forward to the weekend to get some shopping done so that next week I don't feel so rushed and stressed. Cheers all. 

@Ksprljan hi, I understand about the lack of available compliant foods. I am in Canada and quite a lot of the cool whole 30 approved products are available in the USA only. I see lots of dressings and snacks pop up in whole30 instagram feeds but have learned to tune them out because I can't get to them. I am with you on the simple meals instead. I am also having tuna salad for lunch today! It is so easy to make and pack. As it is Friday and it is day 5 for me and I am freaking excited for dinner because I am going to to cook some steak! Call it a whole30 treat I don't make for myself otherwise that helps me feel good about getting thru the week. I cook it with just a little salt & pepper and I plan to have yam fries with homemade mayo. Can't wait!

@cmac8 Congrats on getting to Day 4! With regards to meal size, I don't know that breakfast 'has' to be the biggest meal of the day. It's really up to you and how you feel about big breakfasts. The program as written recommends 3 meals a day without snacks. If you find you're hungry in between meals (actual hungry and not bored), then maybe make your meals a bit bigger. Add extra protein. Just eat as much as it takes for you to feel fed and happy til the next meal!

@newlifestyle48 Welcome! How's it going with the black coffee?? Hope you made it to Friday in one piece :) I have a colleague whose biggest problem with the whole30 is the black coffee. She just can't do it. I hope you are finding success.

I don't know who all reads the whole30 timeline (https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/; and I got to 'Kill at the Things" on Day 3 instead of 4 this week and I just couldn't people on Weds or Thurs. People were peopling too hard in my space lols

@readyforchange716 Thanks for the empathy. It does feel a little better knowing that I am not alone. 

So far so good. I am feeling the fatigue but I am not ready to kill anyone. I remember from the last 3 times that although I did go through all the stages of the timeline just on different days. I think that I did not have the headaches and hangover because I have been eating pretty well. Not as much junk to clean out of the system, I guess. 

I am looking forward to the days that are coming when I will feel rested and refreshed. I did some shopping today and planned out the next few meals. Here is the plan looking forward: eggs for breakfast (it gets a bit boring but it is the easiest and I like eggs), I bought some pork loin, nice sausages, some turkey meat to make meatballs, tons of veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, some fruit such as apples and pears and strawberries. I prefer to improvise and cook what I feel like eating so having ingredients in the fridge works for me. I am planning to make some pulled pork soon in the crockpot and last time I did the Whole30 I made a Whole30 compliant Greek Moussaka and it was delicious. 

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend. Cheers. 

Archived