Starting March 6 for Lent

pearlgirl2017

I will be starting (restarting) this elimination protocol on Ash Wednesday and continuing all the way thru to the day before Easter.  March 6 thru April 20 is a Whole46.  I hope there will be a few of us starting at the same time, but feel free to jump in at any time, wherever you are in your journey.  I hope we can share recipes, successes, trials and NSV's. 

As well as eliminating everything that is required to avoid during a Whole30 I will also be giving up coffee.  I don't seem to be able to handle it anymore. 2 cups and I have the jitters really bad.  I've switched to decaf and it's only slightly better.  It's really more of a habit than a need.  I don't NEED the coffee. (Yeah right, keep telling yourself that.)

Welcome all!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast this morning was again easy to put together.  2 poached eggs, braised cabbage from yesterday reheated, 8 ounces Great Value beef broth with a packet of Vital Collagen unflavored beef broth.  The broth made my taste buds yell for something sweet.  The urge passed after I drank a full glass of water and brushed my teeth. 

Dinner last night was more of the sweet and sour pork, 1/2 apple and a tbls of almond butter.  For breakfast this morning I had a cup of beef broth with a vital collagen packet and the last of the sweet and sour pork.  https://therealfoodrds.com/skillet-sweet-and-sour-chicken-whole30/ 

I made it with pork tenderloin rather than chicken breasts.

Hi I started for lent as well on ash Wednesday. I too am returning but really glad coffee does not give me jitters. 

My biggest trigger is alcohol which I  let sneak back in with a vengeance and derail the rest of my eating. I'm sad to think I may need to not drink in order to find real food freedom.

Nice to have a fellow returnee on my same start day.

ALM Grandma

Welcome @asharn and @ALM Grandma,  glad of the company.  My first few days probably look pretty boring food-wise.  Most of the time I will make a big pot of something to take to work all week. That makes it easy in that I don't have to think about what to grab from the fridge on my way out the door every morning.   I'm good with eating the same thing for lunch for several days.  I just finished the last of the Sweet Potato Chicken Curry, again over cauliflower rice.  

Next week I will have something different.  I need to get away from the cabbage and cauliflower.  That seems to have been the only vegetables I ate in any measurable amount.  I have put https://pretenditsadonut.com/2018/08/28/asian-inspired-tuna-cakes/ and https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/on my meal plan for next week. 

@ALM Grandma, I know alcohol is tough to quit.  I haven't had my nightly SoCo's for 7 years now, and I still hear it call me.

If we can do this, we can do anything!

I’m on Day 7.  Lots of congestion and I’m wondering if it’s from the cups of tea I’ve been consuming to replace coffee.  

Brunch today was beef hash with poached eggs.  Need to be careful with my groceries as I tend to be wasteful on a whole thirty.  Lots of purchases of fresh foods that end up spoiling.  Trying to go to store more frequently for smaller purchases.

I’m right on schedule for the calendar.  Exhausted today.  Zip energy.  Couldn’t even concentrate on my daily reflection.  Currently on couch under blankets watching Lion King with daughter.  Hope to make it to treadmill sometime today.

D165AF77-2C85-47CB-83FF-AFF8EE8FDC9C.jpeg

I'm pretty proud of myself today.  Yesterday was my birthday and I made it thru without anything "birthdayee" to eat.  We went to the movies at one o'clock and I was good there too. 

I had a late breakfast (time change) but with the afternoon movie the rest of the days meals were more of a "graze".  Hopefully I'll get back on track today.  I did make the soup yesterday, but not the tuna patties.  So lunch today will be the soup with an added tablespoon of coconut oil and some boiled eggs. 

Praising Him for the healing He will be delivering.

The weather for us right now is what keeps me from sleeping as well as I know I can.  There's no way to know what to set the thermostat on.  We go from freezing to spring back to freezing and storms.  We are supposed to have another 12 - 18 hours worth of wind and rain starting around noon today.  

This morning I had one of my favorite breakfasts.  A 3 egg omelet with spinach, blueberries, coconut aminos and cinnamon cooked in bacon drippings.  Lunch can only wish it was that good.  Today is more of the zucchini soup with an added tablespoon of coconut oil and a chicken & apple sausage link.  Dinner tonight is usually anything that is leftover and/or a big salad.  Or maybe tonight I'll finally get around to making those Asian Inspired Tuna Patties. 

I've noticed less pain in my knees lately.  That's a plus.  

Happy belated birthday! Love to hear on the tuna cakes.

Last night finally we prepared and enjoyed our celebratory valentine's dinner. Sesame ginger tuna steaks (whole 30),  https://www.thenaturalnurturer.com/blog/sesame-ginger-tuna-steaks , tri color carrot spears in garlic ghee, and red potatoes. Even my husband was thrilled! 

My pantry and refrigerator still are loaded with non compliant food any hints on handling this one? At least alcohol is gone for lent for him so that is out of the house.

18 hours ago, ALM Grandma said:

My pantry and refrigerator still are loaded with non compliant food any hints on handling this one?

Anything in the pantry can be moved to a higher or lower shelf, somewhere out of eye level.  You can move it to another cabinet completely.  Or donate it all to a food bank.  The fridge is tougher.  Not much wiggle room there.  Maybe the very bottom shelf with a towel covering it?

I'm lucky that there isn't any non-compliant stuff in the fridge that tempts me so I never bothered to move it.

The tuna sound wonderful.  I wonder if I can get my man to eat it.  He hates fish, but eats a can of tuna for lunch most days.  

Archived